Question on Tandem Basal IQ technology

In many of the posts I read I see people referring to Tandem’s Basal (and control) IQ technology. I have the X2 with Dexcom G5 right now - not the G6 - but the discussions have me curious; and while I know I can discuss with my doctor or reach out to Tandem, I like “real user” input.
In googling the tech I gather that Basal IQ is designed to adjust the basal rate if BG is projected to hit approximately 80 within 30 minutes.
I personally find that I start to drop - and fairly quickly - when I reach 120 - which seems to be the case no matter what basal rate I am using. 120 just seems to be my “tipping point” so I aim for a slightly higher target than some might, to give myself some “wiggle room.”
Can your Basal IQ target be set for a higher number, or are you stuck with 80?
If anyone here has a similar issue and uses Basal or Control IQ I would love to hear your experience. Thanks.

Neither algorithm work with the G5. You cannot change the BG target of 80 with basal-iq. Basal-iq does not adjust basal rates, it suspends insulin delivery if the BG is predicted to drop below 80 but does not have a set timeframe of how long delivery will be suspended for. The algorithm can kick insulin delivery on and off constantly depending on your BG readings. It’s a phenomenal piece of tech, and doesn’t cause the BG to swing wildly upwards after the suspend has been active.

Control-iq introduces the ability to raise and lower basal rates and correction boluses once an hour at a 40% reduction depending on the predicted BG level. Unfortunately, Tandem refuses to answer how much the basal rates are either increased or decreased or explain in any detail how this works, no matter how many people ask. The threshold to suspend delivery was changed from 80 to 70, I’m not fan of this change. The target BG for the entire algorithm is 112.5 or 110 depending on who’s giving the presentation from Tandem. The pump itself, says 110 when using control-iq.

If you are considering basal-iq, you’d better do it quick because it’s going the way of the Dodo once control-iq is released to the public this week (supposedly). You’d be a better fit for control-iq as the system is targeting 110 and will adjust basal rates lower or higher to keep you at that target instead of waiting for the BG to drop to a predicted 80 with basal-iq.

Here’s the live stream they did a few days ago, explaining how control-iq works:

Thanks. Last I checked my insurance didn’t cover the G6 although things may be different now. All the same I was curious so I appreciate the info.
It sounds a shame that basal iq will/might go away. While I appreciate knowing there’s a “higher low” with Control IQ, for cautious people like me it’s a huge leap going from “totally manual” to that technology. Particularly as some of the very important info sounds sketchy (from comments I’ve read) and people seem to have some very important questions that have not been answered to their satisfaction.
Thanks again - much appreciated.

1 Like

Dorie @wadawabbit, are you a Medicare Beneficiary? As long as your insurance company is participating in the CMS {medicare / Medicaid} program, it will be required to provide the Dexcom G6. Make request through Dexcom - Dex did all the work for me and it only took about 10 minutes via phone call.

As Jason said, once a pump is “upgraded” to Control IQ, it can’t be back-graded so you need to do your homework. Before you will receive the up-grade code, you [and physician] must successfully complete training, and INO the change should be discussed fully with YOUR doctor. A prescription is required.

2 Likes

Thank you @Dennis. I always enjoy and appreciate your comments as a fellow person with many years of experience with diabetes. I have a visit with my endo tomorrow and will discuss. I’m wary about getting locked in if I’m unhappy with it, since you can’t go back. But we shall see. Thanks again

Well yes, you can’t drop back to the Basal-IQ software, but you don’t need to use the Dexcom system either.
More to that point you can just not link the pump to receive the signal when you start up the sensor. It isn’t TOTALLY automatic. You could even start it only when you thought you had a reason to, if at all, which would make it just a regular old-fashioned insulin pump.

Of course then you wouldn’t have the Basal-IQ system to help with lows, but IMHO the Control-IQ system is a lot more useful.

I’ve been around a bit too, 63 years as a Type 1 with 26 years insulin pump experience. Started with Minimed in late '93, changed to Animas in 2004, then started with a Tandem X2 this year after Animas shut down, and my Medicare would finally authorise a new pump after 5 years. The 4 year warranty was ruled by Medicare as being too short, so the pump companies were forced to accept a 5 year warranty.

Thanks much. I see my endo tomorrow and will discuss.

This is the notification I received today with my Control IQ upgrade.

Note the advisory in bold, with my arrow.

2020-01-20T05:00:00Z

2 Likes