Pump problems

i have a minimed paradigm 712 pump and lately is been going off with random alarms. it can be sitting on a table and the button alert will go off. this morning 5 minutes after i bolused, the auto off alarm went off. its been doing this for a while and i'm not sure if i should call minimed about it. i have been told its normal for them to have random alarms go off, but it happens frequently and i am scared its malfunctioning. i have had it for over 2 years. (a pump usually lasts me about a year, i am surprised this one lasted me as long as it has)

so do i need ot call minimed about it? and if anyone could help me out here, do you know if minimed offers refurbished insulin pumps? I might just get one of those if i can find a cheap enough one.

Melanie,

If the alarms are randomly going off you need to have the pump examined. It could be many different things that are causing the alarm to go off. Or just a malfunction. If you are out of warranty I am sure Minimed can help you out either with a refurbished pump or work with insurance to get you a new one. Best of luck. Keep us posted.

I had a similar problem over the Summer. I called minimed medtronic and they had me send the pump to them and sent me a refurbished pump. This was all done at no charge to me. Like Brian said if you are no longer under warranty they will work with your insurance to get you a replacement. Go ahead and give them a call they have reps at the call centers 24hrs a day.

Random-ish question:  is one year a normal life expectancy for a pump??  Mine lasted me 3 1/2 years before it konked out.

[quote user="Kim"]

Random-ish question:  is one year a normal life expectancy for a pump??  Mine lasted me 3 1/2 years before it konked out.

[/quote]

I have been on a pump for 15 years (minus some time in there for various reasons) The shortest life I had for a pump was a year and a few months. Longest life a little over four years.