Pump & Insulin Temperature?

I'm learning about the pump (Animas Ping) before I go for "training" to start using it next week, and the DVD said to only put room temperature insulin in the cartridge... But you're supposed to toss room-temperature insulin after 30 days, and I'm quite positive that I'll never use up the entire vial in that amount of time.  (The pens have been really nice for that, since they have less in them and I use one up well before that limit.)

I emailed my CDE to double check on these points, and she said:

1. It should be room temperature before going in the cartridge.  Cold insulin is more likely to cause bubbles.

2. Though I can put the vial back in the refrigerator if I want, it'll still need to be thrown out after 30 days.

That just seems wasteful.  I'll follow her directions unless my endo tells me to do anything differently, but I'm curious: Do any of you pumpers handle it differently?  One thought that crossed my mind was that maybe a person could fill the cartidge with cold insulin, let it warm up, then push any bubbles out before inserting it into the pump.

I dunno.  I'd just hate to see so much insulin go to waste if it doesn't have to.

How big are your vials?  You should be able to use an open vial before 30 days, no?  A bottle of insulin is not so temperature sensitive.  You do not need to toss insulin in 30 days, especially if you put it i the frig.  I even carry a bottle in my pouch with the test machine so that if the pump runs out somewhere, I can fill it.  It sounds to me like they were more concerned about bubbles than anything else.  Note that newer pumps remove bubbles too. 

Food for thought: 

• People who travel to or live in hot climates with no a/c. 
  • People going to the beach on a hot day with a pump.
  • Well, how would you handle the pump running out when you are not home and hours away? 

That's an interesting idea - I had never thought to pre-fill a bunch of cartridges and keep them in the fridge.  Then, take one out as I need it.  Hmm.  That would solve the in-and-out-of-the-fridge dilemma.  Genius!

I leave the insulin bottle out of the fridge for 10 minutes or so to warm up, fill up the cartridge, and put the insulin back in the fridge.  I haven't had problems with it from changing temperatures.  However, I use a lot of insulin, so I never reach the 30-day mark with bottles.  I have backup Humalog pens that definitely go past the 30-day mark once I start using them, and I've never had problems there, either.

Yeah, I did some math and think I'll get pretty close to finishing it off...  1000 units in a vial, and between my Novolog and Lantus, I normally use about 30 units a day (sometimes up to 40, but not often).  That means a vial would last me just over 30 days.  It shouldn't be an issue afterall.  It just didn't seem like the equivilant of a vial when I was using two different pens!

And, very good points about hot climates and refilling.  Thank you!

Kim, nice to hear you don't have a problem with older-than-30-day insulin.  I was wondering about my backup pens, too.  And, now that I realize I'll actually use up most of the vial in 30 days, I'm betting there won't be an issue with using it just a little past the 30 day mark.  Could 33 days really be much different than 30?  I doubt it.

[quote user="Elizabeth"]

Kim, nice to hear you don't have a problem with older-than-30-day insulin.  I was wondering about my backup pens, too.  And, now that I realize I'll actually use up most of the vial in 30 days, I'm betting there won't be an issue with using it just a little past the 30 day mark.  Could 33 days really be much different than 30?  I doubt it.

[/quote]

I think you're right, from my experience.  The 30-day rule is like many other things in our lives:  a guideline, not a rule.  It's not like your insulin bottle checks his calendar, sees day 30, and clocks out.  It's like insulin and drinking or using a hot tub - we're cautioned not to do it, but I believe it's moreso to protect the manufacturer, should something go wrong.

Hmmm...I've always taken my insulin bottle out of the fridge before starting a new pump site, so it's still cold.  There are bubble issues sometimes, but I just keep pressing in and out of the reservoir until I get a a load of insulin that's as close to bubble-free as possible.

I keep insulin waaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy past 30 days sometimes, and I've never had a problem. However, I did once have my insulin get too hot and then get ruined, but other than that....

i get the giggles reading this thread because i go through almost 3 bottles of insulin a month. i don't think i've ever had one vial last me an entire month. haha! :o)

Khendra: I thought I'd read references to people starting with cold insulin for their pump!  It may be one of those "official guidlines" medical professionals have to give you.

Maria:  Good to hear!  Especially since I'll have backup pens I'll use very infrequently.

C: When I first met with the Animas rep, he was really surprised at how little insulin I take!  He asked me three times if my doctor has said I'm honeymooning.  :)  She hasn't officially said that, but I do know that tests showed my pancreas was still making a tiny amount of insulin when I was diagnosed in May.  I'm sure my needs will increase as the last of the beta cells go.  (On the flip side, my mom is a nurse and thought my carb to insulin ratio was really high when my CDE upped it to 10:1.  "You really aren't responding very well to insulin, are you!"  Odd, because that seems to be a pretty common ratio...)