Pig Islet Cell Transplants in Russia, No Anti-Rejection meds?

My husband brought this little news event to my attention.  To me, the big news isn't the pig-to-human part... though, that does mean a potentially sufficient amount of donor cells for anyone who needs them!  But the big thing to me is that it sounds like they've needed no anti-rejection drugs:

"The seaweed coating keeps the bodies immune system from attacking the foreign animal cells."

I mean, the anti-rejection medication is why pancreas transplants aren't more common, right?  Why they generally only transplant a pancreas if they are already transplanting another organ (like a kidney) anyway?  Because it's a bigger deal to be on anti-rejection drugs (which weaken the immune system) than it is to be a well-controlled diabetic who hasn't developed serious complications?

And I'm guessing (but I do not know) that they also mean the seaweed protects the cells from the auto-immune activity that defines type 1.

I'm not getting my hopes up too much yet, but it's huge that they're about to make this available to the general public in Russia.  Even if "this isn't a cure" or if it turns out to not work like they thought (though they had decent success in trials), I'm so excited to see progress in the research and the attempt to cure T1!

Pancreas transplants are also extremely dangerous; a lot of people don't survive. For whatever reason, it's not an organ than can very easily be successfully transplanted. 

My friend showed me this article a few days ago (maybe it was a week ago?). I found it interesting, but can't see it coming to the US very soon. But I'll certainly keep my fingers crossed for it! :o)

That's my general thought: It's nowhere near a stage where they'll start doing it in the US, but I'll be really curious to what what sort of success they have.  (And surely, if it turns out to be very successful and safe, someone will start the ball rolling in the US.)

I also think that for any type of transplanted organs, availablity / lack of donors is also an issue. The reason why stem cell research is of so much interest along with the rejection issue.

P.S. I love sushi -- will the seaweed on it help me??

We are closer than you think in the United States....check this out:

http://www.springpointproject.org

Have a great day!

Very cool, Christine! I hadn't heard about this particular study. I feel like there are so many promising studies out there, but it seems to take so long and money is always an issue. I keep hoping we'll see widespread results from one of these in the next 10 years.

I always thought I'd never want to take immuno-suppressing drugs. But, lately I've been hearing okay things about these newer ones.

Why is it that something about pig parts in me is a little gross? I took cow insulin when I was first dx'ed. I'm sure I'd happily do it to cure this T1 even for a few months!! Would I feel bad eating bacon, lol?

I was told it is not just the anti-rejection drugs but also that the body's immune system can still try to destroy the new beta cells in the way that led to the initial destruction of the native cells. (How that happens with a drug-suppressed immune system is still a little fuzzy to me, but that is another reason that was given.)

I'd have to see more on this 'seaweed coating'. I don't know how that would last indefinitely and what then? Either the body rejects the cells as foreign or it rejects them because the T1 auto immune propensity to destroy insulin producing cells. :(

But I agree with you, ANY research is good and scientists can learn even from approaches that don't end up working.

And I will cynically add that this could have been approved in Russia, not because it is safe or effective, but because the right bribes were paid. :(

[quote user="JDVsMom"]

I was told it is not just the anti-rejection drugs but also that the body's immune system can still try to destroy the new beta cells in the way that led to the initial destruction of the native cells. (How that happens with a drug-suppressed immune system is still a little fuzzy to me, but that is another reason that was given.)

[/quote]

Yup, I think that's why most of the current research is looking a lot more at the immune mechanisms than earlier research.

It is exciting to see that they are using Diabecell in Russia because it will generate so much information.  Hopefully, many people will try this (although the initial price tag is about $150,000) and it will generate so much information.  We will learn more about islet cell transplants in general, about how pig islet cells will perform, and about encapsulated islets.  Pig products have been used before in products like insulin and heart valves.  

I had an islet cell transplant in 2008 and can say that the immunosuppression is much easier to tolerate than the high/low blood sugars and the constant and potential worries.