Owwww! tips please!

i just had, i think it was a toe surgery. it really hurts and now my blood sugars are high.... you can find out about it on my blog called the story of my green toe.

any tips for caring for it while it heals?  the doctor told me how to take care of it and how its especialy important for me to take good care of it... but maybe there is something you can only find out by experience.

Your sugars will run high probably for a few days and then they will get back to normal. Atleast that's what happened with me.

I have actually had this procedure done a total of 5 times (OUCH !!!). 3 times (One toe was both sides at once and the other one was a single side) were the initial removal of part of the nail and the other 2 were to redo the procedure because of problems afterwards. That multiple shots in the toe are the worst !! They put a poison on the side of your nail so that it won't grow into your skin ever again, it will grow straight along the edge. Anyways take it easy for a few days you don't want to aggravate or cause the nail to bleed as it heals. Take advil or something to help deal with the pain. Do not wear shoes that are tight on your feet, I wore Crocs the last time I had one done (April 08), open toe sandals will work as well. I don't know if you have an allergy to adhesive but I do and needed an antibiotic to heal that also. You'll be fine ! Hope you feel better soon : )

Heres a tip they gave me about the wisdom tooth they are going to drill out of my face "today".....oxy contin. i dont like taking pain killers but in this case its needed.

I hope your surgery went well.

what is green toe?

Green toe is referring to her bandage, lol.  I wish I had gotten a cool color bandage when I had my toe surgery : )

i'm so sorry to hear you're in pain! i've never had toe surgery (my mom has, though), but i've had >20 other kinds of surgeries. it's always tough on the blood sugars, especially pain killers--they are usually an insulin antagonist (making your insulin less potent). i always just did blood tests more often and kept on top of it with constant correction boluses. if it was really high (over 375) i would do shots to bring it down quicker. after a few days, you'll notice things getting better.

good luck! i hope your toe heals quickly!

[quote user="orange_mms"]Your sugars will run high probably for a few days and then they will get back to normal[/quote]

or low! half my numbers have been low, another 2 have been below my target range but not low and my other blood sugar was just above my target range. my average is below my target range though.

poison! ewww! i thought it was suposed to be a chemical! thats what the doctor told me!

i was told to take tylenol for the pain but didnt cause i hate medicin. i cant swallow the pill and liquid and chewables are gross!!!

i was wearing sandals luckily. and good thing its summer. no shoes are the best!

i dont have any allergies. im glad!

[quote user="orange_mms"]

Green toe is referring to her bandage, lol.  I wish I had gotten a cool color bandage when I had my toe surgery : )

[/quote]

i had a shower and got the bandaid wet so i had to change it. it was bright green! now its plain old white. now i can change the gauze to a normal bandaid.

[quote user="C"]good luck![/quote]

thanks! and not just to you, but for everyone.

my toe feels as if its healing very quickly .