Now that Freestyle Libre is approved, will you use it?

Curious if:

1. You’re a DXCM user and are going to switch to Libre when it comes out in December (if yes, why? cost, form factor, ease of access/use, MARD and/or YSI referencing, etc…)

2. You’re a DXCM user and will stick with it

3. You’re not using any CGM device right now and are going to start Libre

4. If you don’t care about either of these devices and will not use either

I’m sticking with my Dexcom G5. I like the integration with their mobile apps. I love being able to track my blood sugar on my iPhone or Apple Watch, and, as I mentioned in another post, they’ll soon support a standalone Watch App. Right now, it works through the phone to the Watch.

Briefly scanning through their site, it seems like they are playing catch up to Dexcom.

No. 2, I love my Dexcom G5 Mobile, I use it in conjunction with my Animas One Touch Ping and my Galaxy S8+, al work great. Considered the
THE MINIMED® 670G SYSTEM but verified my insurance will not pay for anything but Dexcom Units and other insulin pumps, including Medtronics, not using a Medtronics CGM. Currently need to replace my pump since I can hardly read the screen anylonger and thge contrastis all the way up. That is why I was looking into the Medtronics Unit being a closed loop system. .

I’m a Dexcom user, and I’ll be keeping it. Having a system that transmits numbers continually to a device that will alert me when things go bad is key for me. The fact that you have to scan the Libre sensor to get the values is a huge drawback, as it means you don’t get high and low alerts and are still forced to rely on your body telling you if you’re off.

However, I can see some use for the Libre if it is inexpensive enough. I have a friend with type 1 that can’t afford Dexcom and insurance won’t cover it at all. I think the Libre might be good for him, IF the price is really significantly lower than Dexcom. At this point, though, all I’ve seen are a lot of claims that the price point is lower, without actual hard numbers to show how much it will cost.

One other note, my Dexcom transmits directly to my Endocrinologist and staff using an app. on my android smart phone. That way they can see my glucose level every five minutes.

Libre is out. Avail only thru major pharm: cvs walgreens walmart n riteaide. Covered by commercial insurance plans with deductible. Not medicare or medicaid. Not a DME. Cash price $43-$55 each.last 10 days. Ndc is 57599000019. Dexcom never worked for me. I’m getting one on Monday. Reads n starts on phone or you can buy the reader. I’m an avid believer in Abbott engineers. Its a shame their management is so notoriously poor!

I have one!

I got my rx filled last week and will be starting on it 1/2/2018.

I have been waiting for this thing. I don’t have a pump and probably won’t. I did look into Dexcom etc a couple of years ago, but changing sensors every few days and the cost (outrageous) turned me off.

I don’t care about alarms or tracking online whatever, i just want to be able to test with out poking my poor fingers any more. Even though I am a professional internet computer programmer, I’m not into the whole cell phone/social media thing. I also don’t need my BS on the internet.

And, I can dose off of it too.

My insurance covered it at 100%. Free for me.

Hi there, I just wanted to say thank you for posting just because your words echo exactly how I feel about the sensors, pump etc. and it’s nice to see another Type 1 who is in the same boat as me. I’m getting mine tomorrow and CAN’T WAIT. Thank you again for your post.

Yes I am using Libre. I also discoveted that using the Glimp app it runs for 14 days,just like the out of country ones. I presume that Abbott set their reader to limit to 10 days for insurance purposes. 10x3=30. Wherras 2x14=28. That allows fixed quantity for billing purposes. If you use Glimp. You also need to install Glimp S to start it.

Anna originally had the Dexcom. We stopped using after two months. VERY uncomfortable and hurt to apply, no matter what we did. We JUST started using Freestyle Libre on January 20th. We LOVE it. My insurance (we have two), only paid a certain percentage and I was left with a $65 co-pay on the CGM reader, and $40 for a months worth of sensors.

No CGM and no interest in getting one until I can no longer detect lows.

You make a very relevant point @sneathbupp - why use some bit of technology without a personal purpose.
The “Libre” offers me a possible use in that it may be a tool I could use to determine need for and calculate micro [significantly less than one unit] corrections as my BGL ventures above my set target levels. I deliberately say BGL [Body Glucose Level] because the Freestyle Libre does NOT measure blood glucose.
As far as CGM go, the Libre lacks the principal “want” I have for such a device - it does NOT passively deliver an alert in the event of dropping BGL. Even the GlucoWatch I wore many years ago [a non-invasive device] would provide an audible alarm that would awaken me.

1 Like

I can’t use the Dexcom because I am allergic to the adhesive on the sensor tape. I’ve tried lotsa hacks - nothing works. I also hate the alarms. Annoying. Though I’ve had T1 for 48+ yrs I still can feel lows, so the alarms just aren’t important to me. I love the Libre. No allergies whatsoever. It’s pretty accurate too. I do random fingersticks to double check it & it usually isn’t more than 20 points off. Only thing I don’t like is that I had a low the other day and all the reader said was “Lo”. I had to fingerstick to find out it was 47. Overall, though, I love just scanning the sensor & getting a blood sugar.

Also, right now Dexcom users can get a reader and 1 sensor free of charge. The offer might only be good for a few more weeks, I’m not sure. But it’s a good way to try the system without shelling out a lot of $$.

I started the Libre 13 days ago and love this cgm! I was using 14 strips a day so my fingers are very happy for a break. I still finger test a few times a day but am very happy that I can scan and see my trends from the night hours and especially when I’m at the gym where any cardio will cause me to plummet. I see a down angled arrow and can start adjusting to be able to keep exercising and rarely have to stumble my way to my gym bag to eat glucose tablets now. All I need are the trends, I don’t need it on the internet or alerts & alarms either. Best thing that’s happened for my T1 in a quite a while!

2 Likes

I’m new to all of this but my libre has been a blessing. I can see my lows quicker and I am very happy for that. To be diagnosed at 32 and not know what a low feels like, the libre is a blessing!!!

Hi Denielle @Denielleprice7334,
not to sound too sarcastic, you can experience your feeling of “a low” at 32 just about the same as someone diagnosed at age 3 only you may be more aware that something is “different” than a three year old would be.
After more than 60 years living with diabetes, I still occasionally experience a “new funny feeling” which after doing a BG Check turns out to be a “low”; what I have learned over the years - both personal experience and what others have told me - is that nothing other than non-functioning pancreas stays the same with diabetes. I can just about guaranteeing that you still will be learning about diabetes when you venture past my current age.

Hi Denielle, glad you like the Libre too! The lows are part of my life for 27 yrs and it’s actually good to know just how your body responds and be able to recognize what it means when all of a sudden you’re starving to death or your hands start shaking. Since I started the Libre & watching my trends, I’ve avoided lots of lows, which is good because maybe my body will have less hypoglycemic unawareness. Yes, it’s a blessing!

Will absolutely get the Freestyle Libre. Am using Dexcom and the Freestyle Neo meter and strips. Freestyle is amazingly accurate at a much lower price. I’m all for it. Dexcom is clunky in comparison and wants to keep its prices up. I can’t imagine why someone would want their CGM reading on a cell phone.

1 Like

Because doing everything on your cell phone is cool today. The whole trend in diabetes “innovations” has been technology. Help us manage, but I want something that makes my life and management easier. I wish more emphasis would be on that, but it seems an endless stream of costly supplies is what they’re after.

2 Likes

I’ll be picking up my Libre early next week. I just recently switched from Animas Ping over to the 670G and so far I have not been at all impressed with the Guardian sensors. I had a Dexcom G4 several years back and remember liking it aside from having to carry around yet another piece of equipment and jab another item into myself every so often. I also really disliked the Dexcom insertion devices. For me they were never what I would consider “comfortable”, in as much as something can be comfortable when piercing your body, or pain free. The new G6 has a more automatic inserter which I hope is better.

Personally, I like the idea of tracking my levels with my phone since it’s something I already have with me almost all the time. If it means I don’t have to keep up with another piece of equipment then I’m all for it. While I don’t have a Dexcom at the moment I’d be surprised if there aren’t options to keep your information local only and not broadcast it to everyone.

If the Libre is able to give an accurate depiction of my glucose levels and I can actually lessen or forego many of the finger sticks that I’ve been doing then I’m all for it. My 670G, when in Auto-Mode, is constantly hounding me for readings (even when I’m in an acceptable BG range, especially then actually) so the Libre could possibly provide some relief there. Go figure, I’m wearing a CGM and being asked/forced to test even more than normal to keep it happy. For reference, pre-670G I typically tested 7-10 times in a day. I’m also looking into the Dexcom G6, but the Dexcom stuff is just so much more expensive.

In truth, I’m open to considering most any option that decreases the number of times a day I have to make myself bleed so long as they’re within the same degree of accuracy as my typical meter. With the Libre and G6 being the first devices actually approved to treat off their numbers, as opposed to confirming with a finger stick, then I’m very interested. Back when I had my Dexcom G4 I did get to a point where I trusted the numbers it showed. The Guardian sensor with the 670G, after a few months on it, have yet to prove as reliable or accurate for me though others will swear by it. As with all things, YMMV. Here’s hoping for good things with the Libre and/or G6.