Not a good day

Today has definetly not been a very good diabetes day, first of i just tested about 2 hours after putting in a new pump site and im 418 :(

at school i forgot my lunch, had to call my mom. 1 hour later i hadn't been checking but i had 0 units of insulin left, and had to call my mom...

haha how was your day?

That doesn't sound like at all. How does your pump work?

well checked again after 15 mins and i was 450, and then put a new pump site in, and that one seems succesful so far!! its okay i like it, but i'm not good at the putting pump sites, at least once a month it has an "occlusion site" its when it gets bent inside, and i'm not the most careful, and i've had a new incidents of it being accidentally ripped off (thats always fun!!) haha. jkjk. 

I meant to say "fun" somewhere in my last post, eh. But that's good you found something that's working. I've never used a pump, but I know a girl who uses on and struggles with a lot of clothing-related incidents :-/

haha, that is my issue. Ya i just recently got my pump, this summer. I couldn't manage on shots anymore... it was too hard for me!! 

how long have you been diabetic? i have been for 12 years!

That's cool. I hear it's a really good option. I prefer the idea of shots to pumps, but I also don't like the pens, so I guess I'm just weird when it comes to that stuff.

But I was diagnosed when I was 2.5 and it's been 25.5 years. It's been all I've really ever known.

Hope today (1/5/2010) is a better day for you. Just remember (this works for me) it's only a movie. LOL You people who have been t 1 since childhood impress me. I've only been dx.ed a year and a half at age 52

wow 25 years!! thats such a long time, ya i didn't like insulin pens ether, to an extant i was forced to go on the pump because now that i go to private school, there isn't a nurse to help take care of me, and i never liked filling up the shot, and giving myself a shot, so its a little easier with school and all...

actually it was a better day! & thank you.. when you are diagnosed at such an early age you don't even realize the difference!

Glad to hear it was a better day. But right, I was way too young to really know anything about anything. I think it was actually kind of a blessing in disguise because I didn't have a tough adjustment to a new lifestyle like so many other people do. I just always hoped that there weren't additional health consequences from having it at such a young age, but so far so good.

Aw! that must have been terrible! well eachday is another chance to do better :). this kinda stuff happens to me too. it all works out in the end :) and we all learn a lesson: never leave home without insulin!

Why do these things have to happen in clusters?? Like, you realize you're out at dinner and have no test strips. So you think, no problem, I'll just bolus and guess on my BG. Then, you realize you are ALSO too low on insulin to cover the meal. Even my hyper-levels of responsibility can't control when the D demons are out to get me. (;

Yes, hopefully!! and it always happens in clusters, when you have a lot going on too!! i like the way you put that the D demons, haha!! i try to check and all that but it never seems to work out when your not a morning person :) lol

I went out two nights ago--had 3 shots of vodka and one beer, felt pretty good, tested and was at 36--yeesh. 

I also have trouble in the mornings.  I am on a pump and just got a cgm  about 2 days ago.  My morning blood sugars when I get up are great, then as soon as I start going- they go up.  I feel like I have a much slower metabolic rate in the morning and am thinking about 1- talking with my endo about dealing with this and 2- talking with a nutritionist about foods that may be better to eat in the morning.  I seem to have a lot of trouble processing the carbs and rapidly absorbing the insulin in the am.  I was thinking about going more protein in the morning, but wanted to talk with a nurtritionist too.  It really sucks when you are trying to wake up and dealing with a bad blood sugar too!  Anyone use fast acting insulin?  I am wondering if it is time for me to switch types- I am currently on Humalog.

I am on the pump now, but when I was on Lantus, I took it only once a day.  It is supposed to last 24 hours at a pretty flat delivery rate.  I am not a doc, and I don't play one on tv so maybe your treatment plan is different.  I hate those roller coaster rides.  Make me feel like crap when it happens to me.  Like today, I just feel washed out.  Ain't diabetes fun!  (sarcasm).

Remeber that Lantus and Humalog have different acidic or ph values and can interfere with each other.  

Hi,

I don't know if this will help, but here are my 2 cents. My personal experience with oatmeal (which I love) has been that when I eat oatmeal it raises my glucose higher than the same amount of carbs eaten in another form (such as bread) and that it also digests slower than other carbs, which affects the time when my glucose peaks. In fact, to not be high in the middle of the day after an oatmeal breakfast I have to skip lunch (I take regular in the AM, so I have insulin in me until about dinner, at which point I now switched to Humulog as R no longer is available in pen form). I have been a Type I for almost 40 years now and I have learned that all carbs are not the same. Also, you indicate you eat it with dried cranberries - what is the glucose level on those? That may also have an effect as dried fruits tend to be higher in fructose anyway, and if they have sugar on top of that your problem may be both the food you are eating, how your body reacts/digests it, and the mix/dose of insulins.

I don't have anything I can provide you regarding the lantus or Humulog (which I just started and which I am learning how my body reacts to, when to take, and how much to take right now).

You can take your insulin early, but sometimes that's not the most realistic thing to do.  You seem to have a pretty consistent morning routine, so it might work for you.

I started taking Symlin to counter that after-meal spike.  It's a different hormone shot that I take at breakfast and at dinner, when I have a little bit of the same problem, and it's worked really well.  Using my CGM, I can look at a graph and tell pretty instantly if I forgot to take the Symlin because that spike always comes back, but if I treat it, I'm down to 50 or lower by lunch time.  It made my A1C drop a bit, and it also helped me lose weight.  I like it a lot.

I've consistently had this same problem for years....post breakfast spikes in the 300s despite accurate carb counting and changing my basal and bolus rates w/ my endo.  I've heard about Symlin...I'm wondering about the nauseousness that comes from the drug.  Also, I've been on a pump for over a decade and I don't miss shots at all!  In fact, my biggest hesitation about taking Symlin involves returning to shots.  Anyone have any experience being on a pump and taking Symlin?  Does it really help bring down A1C?  what about post meal spikes?

Thanks! 

[quote user="Hilary"]

I've consistently had this same problem for years....post breakfast spikes in the 300s despite accurate carb counting and changing my basal and bolus rates w/ my endo.  I've heard about Symlin...I'm wondering about the nauseousness that comes from the drug.  Also, I've been on a pump for over a decade and I don't miss shots at all!  In fact, my biggest hesitation about taking Symlin involves returning to shots.  Anyone have any experience being on a pump and taking Symlin?  Does it really help bring down A1C?  what about post meal spikes?

Thanks! 

[/quote]

i am on the pump and took symlin for about 6 months. for me, it didn't do much of anything. i still took the same amount of insulin, and didn't see a change in my blood sugars. and it was a pain in the ass to have both a bolus and a shot to do at every meal. after i got off the symlin, i decided to just be more aggressive with my blood sugars/timing of insulin and that has helped me a lot more. i haven't had an a1c since november (can't go until july), but i'm confident i'll see improvements. while i was on symlin, my a1c didn't change at all (7.4 both times). it has dropped slightly since then (7.1), and i'm thinking i'll be under 7.0 at my next appointment.