No one understands!

I've had diabetes for almost six months now, and I am just now coming to terms with a depressing thought... no one understands what having diabetes is like! People think it's just something you're okay with, a change that your body and mind adjusts to quickly. But hey, it's not. Especially not as a 20 year-old college student! How do you deal with this? Any pointers?

Love,

Sandy

I would love to help you through what I know you must be feeling.  I have been diabetic going on 35 years now and am a mentor on behalf of the JDRF.  If you would like some support, just hit me up.  I just joined this page, so I probably could use a little help getting around in here yet, but other than that, I am still willing to assist.  Just let me know and I'd love to chat with you and help you learn how to deal with things, and perhaps a few things to expect along the way.  Being diagnosed later in life must be a lot harder than being a child with the disease, as you have already grown up knowing a life without having any such issues, but I am still willing to help.  :)  Just let me know and I'll be there for you.

V/r,

Kathleen

Sandy, I am sorrry you are having a hard time. My 8 year old daughter was diagnosed in Aug 2011 and I know as a parent of a type one people dont understand. They think you can just change your diet and exercise. HA. My daughter is having a difficult time as well, Feeling like shes alone and noone understands. Her name is Abigail maybe you could friend her. She could use all the friends in the world right now exspecially one who knows how she feels. I wish I could take this disease away from all of you and I would. Many nights I cry because I cant.  I know I dont have it but I live with It and If there is anything I can do to help I will gladly. Hang in there.

I kno that this does stink. and College your kind of already going through your rebellious stage but I am a firm believer that things happen for a reason and you would not have been put in this situation if you could not handle it! You are stronger than you can imagine plus now a days its cool to be healthy so its going to be like this for a while(plus high sugars make me feel..well depressed) I am 24 and have had 2 kids I was diagnosed younger but I think you just have to remember you are strong and dont let this be something to pull you down but to see how strong you are.

Let me cut to the chase... non-diabetics can't understand.  Parents and spouses and your kids get a glimpse of it, but only another diabetic can understand the full impact of diabetes.  

I wouldn't waste time worrying about it.  If you need help from others, let them know.  What you're experiencing is totally normal, but you'll change over time.  When you're young you feel a strong need to be understood by others.  But the older you get the less time you have to worry about yourself or what others think of you.