Newly diagnosed 20 year old

Hi everyone, I was diagnosed with T1D this past May. I’m 20 years old and a senior in college. I’m looking for a friend to talk to about being diabetic. My brother was diagnosed when he was 18 months old; so being diabetic is all he remembers. I’m hoping to find someone that I can talk to about this whole process, as I am still in the honeymoon phase (even after 6 months). Being in college I found that this diagnosis has become an insecurity of mine. I feel awkward around my friends sometimes now, even though they are all so supportive, they just don’t understand and it’s hard for me to explain it to them all the time. If anyone has any words of wisdom or advice I’d really appreciate it, even just a friend that I can talk to would me amazing.
Thanks!

Hey, what do you mean by the honeymoon period? I’m new to it all aswell but I’d heard you’re really unlikely to get type 1 if your sibling has it, we’re you told this too?

Hi, the honeymoon phase is when your pancreas is still producing some insulin, but not enough to keep my blood sugar regulated. I was told that it was unlikely for me to be type 1 because my brother is, but I also have hypothyroidism and celiac disease, both autoimmunes that go hand in hand with type 1. So it was a shock that I was diagnosed with type 1, but at the same time it wasn’t because I already have those 2 other autoimmunes. Also, because I already was predisposed to type 1 my doctors ran tests every year for the antibodies and on my A1C levels; because of this we caught it very early on, way before I would’ve gone into DKA.

Ohhh that makes sense! I think I’m in that too as mine has been caught really early on but Because of that I’m more doubting whether there’s really anything wrong with me as day to day my blood sugar seems fine! Just doesn’t feel real but apparently that’s quite common. I have auto immune in my family too, sorry to hear you’re cealic aswell that must be really tough to manage on top of diabetes!

I’ve definitely been doubtful too, especially when days go on and I continue having lows, except every time I lower my insulin dosage I spike right back up again. The celiac definitely doesn’t help either, especially because often times gluten free carbs have twice as many carbs as non gluten free things do just because there’s so much extra added sugars to keep the food together. When were you diagnosed?

Hey Sarah!

It sounds like we have a lot in common (in regards to this fun disease!!!) I’m 21, a senior in college, and was diagnosed at 17. I also have hypothyroidism and celiac (which is the woooorst considering I’m obsessed with sweets lol).

I totally feel you on the whole insecurity thing. It’s definitely taken me some time to get a good handle on this and to gain confidence in just testing/taking insulin/doing whatever in public.

I studied abroad last semester and met my first type one friend who was my age. It was soo nice to finally have someone to rant with/cry with/laugh with/talk with about diabetes. I know it sucks most of the time, but we’re lucky because it’s something we can really manage on a day to day basis and still live a healthy life.

I’ll message you!

1 Like

Hi there! I am 21 and a senior in college and I was just diagnosed about a month and a half ago. I am currently still in the honeymoon stage as well. None of my friends really get what I am going through and my boyfriend broke up with me because he couldn’t handle my diagnosis, so I am having a rough time adjusting as well. If you want someone to talk to feel free to send me a message! :slight_smile:

I was diagnosed with t1d last december 10th