NEW Electronic Device for Carb/Calorie/Exercise Logging!

You are welcome....glad I can share with others a way to make your life easier.....enjoy!  If you have any other questions, I will be glad to help! 

Again thanks! Do u think a case is nessasary?

The cases are made of 'neoprene' and are nice to protect your device.  They also have a little metal ring on them that you could use to attach to a hook for your belt, etc....  they come in black, red, and turquoise blue ....it's your choice if you feel like you want something to carry it in?

Ok, thanks Dar, thats is for now. Thanks allot!!

Thanks again to Dar for getting the word out!  For those of you who, like me, are not in a financial situation to allow this purchse at this time, I thought I would share another link with you:  www.coheso.com .  You can purchase the Track 3 here also, but the site has a great tool that is free!...  If you click anywhere where it says "Nutritional Info", you end up at a search engine and you can look up whatever food item you are wondering about.  Given that my Animas 2020 pump has a database in which I can store up to 500 food items, I plan on using the tool on this website to build my database.  For the time being, I'll make do with that instead of spending the money on the Track 3. 

[quote user="Nads"]

Thanks again to Dar for getting the word out!  For those of you who, like me, are not in a financial situation to allow this purchse at this time, I thought I would share another link with you:  www.coheso.com .  You can purchase the Track 3 here also, but the site has a great tool that is free!...  If you click anywhere where it says "Nutritional Info", you end up at a search engine and you can look up whatever food item you are wondering about.  Given that my Animas 2020 pump has a database in which I can store up to 500 food items, I plan on using the tool on this website to build my database.  For the time being, I'll make do with that instead of spending the money on the Track 3. 

[/quote]

As well, you can find them in drug stores(at least in my town you can) so if you don't have a credit card or paypal(tho it's easy to get) check out your location drug store(probably a chain is the best to look at) for one. My moms gonna pick me one up next paycheque as a early birthday present from the drug store :)

I just want to clear up any confusion that there might be about the Track3 and website......the website at www.coheso.com is the same manufacturer that I am working with!  We set up the  http://dmd.coheso.com  website so that a portion of the proceeds could be donated back to the JDRF, and other diabetes charities....since that is my goal to 'help others and give back'!

The Nurtitional Info on the 'coheso.com website' is the same information that you will find on the Track3 and it is a great source to refer to at no cost!  We will be adding that same information to the http://dmd.coheso.com website soon!  As far as the product being available at 'drug stores', the actual Track3 device with all the logging capabilities and data base, is NOT available anywhere except online at this time.  There are other 'calorie/carb counters' out there for purchase, but they do differ from what the Track3 offers.  I understand that purchasing online is not for everyone and 'money' is always a consideration.   Again, I will be happy to answer any questions or help others at any time.  I just wanted to 'clarify' these posts!

[quote user="dar"]

As far as the product being available at 'drug stores', the actual Track3 device with all the logging capabilities and data base, is NOT available anywhere except online at this time.  There are other 'calorie/carb counters' out there for purchase, but they do differ from what the Track3 offers.  I understand that purchasing online is not for everyone and 'money' is always a consideration.   Again, I will be happy to answer any questions or help others at any time.  I just wanted to 'clarify' these posts!

[/quote]

:)

Never meant to say that it was the Track3 that was available, just carb calculators. And available at the drug store at a much better price for me at least because I'm in Canada and from what I can tell..the $79.00 is American currency.

Yes there are some great carb calculators out there and I think it would be great for your parents to get you one for your B'day....anything to help you with that 'carb counting' challenge....wherever you can find it and is affordable is great!!!  At  least my son has improved his 'math skills'...not a fun way to do that though.  Good luck and stay positive....we are all working together to make things easier for us all!!

I'll admit despite being a relatively new convert to the whole 'carb-counting' method, I've been ridiculously frustrated by the complications introduced by fast food and pre-made cooking. I don't want to always be the one to cook my own meals, especially if the gang is going out to a grill or something.

I tend to translate the skills I developed in counting calories with my original insulins, that being guesstimating for the most part. After a huge amount of practice, I'm a fair shot at looking at a plate of food and estimating the correct amount of calories or carbs it contains.

That said, is there a concise listing anywhere of what fast food places this device provides? Being Canadian, I don't have the fortune of directly translating Dunkin' Donuts to Tim Hortons and Checkers to... whatever the Canadian equivalent of Checkers is. A $80 investment with predominately US fast food places or restaurants will be a bit of a hassle, if you know what I mean. I've had similar experiences with carb-counting books.

I'd like to have a better sense of what carbs I'm working with, but I don't have the desire to figure out how to make a new system work when I'm guessing pretty accurately already.

[quote user="Trevor"]

I'll admit despite being a relatively new convert to the whole 'carb-counting' method, I've been ridiculously frustrated by the complications introduced by fast food and pre-made cooking. I don't want to always be the one to cook my own meals, especially if the gang is going out to a grill or something.

I tend to translate the skills I developed in counting calories with my original insulins, that being guesstimating for the most part. After a huge amount of practice, I'm a fair shot at looking at a plate of food and estimating the correct amount of calories or carbs it contains.

That said, is there a concise listing anywhere of what fast food places this device provides? Being Canadian, I don't have the fortune of directly translating Dunkin' Donuts to Tim Hortons and Checkers to... whatever the Canadian equivalent of Checkers is. A $80 investment with predominately US fast food places or restaurants will be a bit of a hassle, if you know what I mean. I've had similar experiences with carb-counting books.

I'd like to have a better sense of what carbs I'm working with, but I don't have the desire to figure out how to make a new system work when I'm guessing pretty accurately already.

[/quote]

That's another issue with buying American when you're in Canada! I believe the ones available at the drug stores in Vic and the diabetes association store are made for Canadian consumers and would address those issues..there wouldn't be any point in selling ones with US information!

I also generally guess when I'm at my moms or out at a restrurant..and it's not a great way to do it at all. It's probably one of the main reasons WHY I hate carb counting so much..haha.

Hi Trevor.....actually you can go to:  www.coheso.com and get the list of Restaurants, etc. that are available on the device!  As a matter of fact...Tim Hortons is on the list!!!  You can also set the device to  UK/Canadian units as well.  I'm not sure of all the restaurants, etc. in Canada, but take a look and hopefully this will be of help to you!!!  My son likes to 'guesstimate' his carbs too....I know it's alot to keep up with.  Good luck and let me know if you have any further questions that I can help you with.

Hi Trevor.....actually you can go to:  www.coheso.com and get the list of Restaurants, etc. that are available on the device!  As a matter of fact...Tim Hortons is on the list!!!  You can also set the device to  UK/Canadian units as well.  I'm not sure of all the restaurants, etc. in Canada, but take a look and hopefully this will be of help to you!!!  My son likes to 'guesstimate' his carbs too....I know it's alot to keep up with.  Good luck and let me know if you have any further questions that I can help you with.

Ah, fantastic. That's exactly what I was looking for. I'll take a browse and see what, if anything, I can't find. :)

Out of curiousity, I see that the device offers computer interaction, but sites like these tend to update as information changes. Would such a device allow an update of the database to match what is available online?

As an aside, one of my biggest beefs is with restaurants that bring out a new 'special offer' food that is only available for a limited time (ie Taco Bell with some of their wrap specials, or Burger King with their specialty burgers) and the companies never bother to add these foods to their nutritional value charts (for the restaurants that have them) or their websites (for those that supply nutritional values). In that case, I'm stuck guesstimating anyways. :)

I see what you mean Trevor about the limited time thing, but why would they make a nutrition chart for something that will not even be out for 2 weeks?

Trevor....as far as the 'special offer' foods like at Taco Bell.....well my son loves to eat there and the last time they had a 'special offer' they did have it listed on their nutritional info, so what I did is got he information and added it to the Track3 under the space of 'New Food'....there are 1000 spaces left for you to add your own foods or exercises.  You can also save favorites, meals and even recipes!  I know not all restaurants, like you say, add the information online, but if they do you can add those in yourself!

As far as updating to the device....the device is provided with a USB Cable and software for you to download the 'logged' information from your device to your software for records on food, exercise, glucose, insulin, etc.....as far as updating the data you can not do that from a computer.  The devices were just updated from 35.000 foods to over 50,000 foods, and again allow to add 1000 new food items manually! 

I hope this has been some help to you....good luck!  Let me know if there are other Canadian restaurants that you are interested in seeing about adding to the list....we can always ask if those can be added! 

Haha, well that's great that you had the advantage of the information being right there. I think as Taco Bell may be an American company, it's a little more difficult to swap out the Canadian menus as easily, or it could just be the location I went to was slow on the uptake.

Regardless, the additional spaces for your own foods sounds great, and the fact that the database is regularly updated is even more encouraging.

Thanks, once again, for all your help! :D

Hi Trevor....you are welcome, I am glad to help!  I just wanted to pass along as well that there are more foods, etc. listed on the website list than on the actual device.  They are going to make an addition to the website to show which actual foods, etc. are included on the device.  Also, I wanted to let you know that the manufacturer can also download Canadian data to the Track3 device if you ever decide you would like to purchase one....he has a separate data base for Canandian restaurants, etc.! So let me know if you ever want to do that and I will be happy to help you!

Have a great day...