Needing help with lows

I am new to Diabetes, I'm 14 yrs old i was diagnosed on November 28th 2008 and am getting lows, but i cant always tell, i notice that when i'm low i usually get really hot and my hands shake, but sometimes nothing happens, i had a 48, and i felt fine... but then BAM!! i couldnt stop my leg from shaking and i couldnt focus on anything, couldnt concentrate, wasnt thinking right, ( i was playing Cribbage at the time and i was adding everything up wrong) and my hands were just crazy. I thought i was going to pass out cause i was so light headed. What other signs can i look for before this happens again?

shakiness is the most obvious symptom, but for me, if i can't think or read, that's when i know i'm really low.  sometimes when i get below 50, i won't even shake, but the world will feel like it's slightly tilted and everything will be surreal.  walking/coordination gets harder too, no matter how low you are.  it's hard to prevent lows but checking before and after exercise, etc. it important.  hang in there!

Billy,

Actually, bad at math is one of my self-tests for low sugar.  I have found that if I can't add a string of numbers in my head or do a series of multiplications without tripping over them - I'm usually in need of a test.  Feeling warm, sometimes, and long pauses between thoughts (it may not come through in my posts but I’m a pretty stream-of-consciousness kinda’ guy)…  I know a number of people posted things they’ve noticed at: http://juvenation.org/forums/t/263.aspx

Just because it isn’t shakes or sweating, don’t discount something as a possible symptom.  Pay attention to your body.  Doing that, along with reading and research will go a long way toward letting you know what your sugars are up to…  Of course, my mantra is: if in doubt, test! J

Cheers!

A-D