My insurance blows!

So I don't really have anything to compare with, but I was talking with a rep from Insulet about pricing information about the OmniPod.  So it turns out that my insurance has a $600 deductible, and then I pay 20% after that.  So I think it's around $160/3mo supply.  Maybe that's normal but it seemed like a lot to me.  

Is this about normal for the cost of getting on a pump?  Oh and for some reason I was thinking that the insulin was part of the package but I then realized that it's not.  So I'm basically replacing like $30/3 mo supply of needles for the $160 for the pods and that's after the initial like $821 they told me it would be to cover the deductible plus the pods and a starter kit, so right now I just don't see it as being worth it.

for all my diabetes supplies (insulin, strips, pump supplies), i probably pay around $150/mo. i haven't added it up recently. it might be more than that, but it's definitely not lower. i have BCBS from the state of iowa (under my mom's plan), so i have decent coverage.

[quote user="C"]

for all my diabetes supplies (insulin, strips, pump supplies), i probably pay around $150/mo. i haven't added it up recently. it might be more than that, but it's definitely not lower. i have BCBS from the state of iowa (under my mom's plan), so i have decent coverage.

[/quote]

I actually have BSBS State Plan of NC(mom's a teacher.)  Do you have a yearly deductible?  And they told me it would be $160 just for the pods, so that doesn't count $10 for strips, more for insulin, and anything else I might need.  If it wasn't for the somewhat large deductible it wouldn't be THAT bad but I was certainly HOPING for less.

Matt,

I'm on the same insurance plan as your mom.  And it definitely is more expensive to be on the pump than MDI.  I'm using the Ping from Animas but haven't really sat down and figured out the cost of everything per month but just the start up after my co-pay was almost $2000.  I'm hoping in the long run it will be cheaper due to better control and less complications.

Does  your insurance have an annual out of pocket maximum? Ours does, and so it adds up both doctor visit and prescription co-pays. Once we hit that amount ($4k for our family, I think an individual is lower), then everything is covered at 100%. It is expensive in the first half of the year, but after that we don't have to pay anything. If you have something like that on  your plan, make sure you figure that in. So maybe it is $150/mo for 9 mos or something, but after that is it free, so then averaged over the year it is really like $113/mo. We have a high deductible plan, so maybe that annual out of pocket max is unique to that.

Matt & Tracey,

Well when I recently decided to get my new MiniMed pump, I only have private insurance through my work & the insurance company covered $5000 of the new startup cost & that gave me the pump, 5 set changes 5 resviours, a new laptop & software to be able to send results to my dr's.

On a monthly basis my supplies cost $250 for infusion sets & resviours(which can last me 3 mo's) but when I submit reciepts to the insurance company I get 80% back  & with my new insurance company I only pay $8 for insulin & strips(no matter how many I get at a time)

And in the long run it doesn't get that much cheaper but it does make a world of difference in control & in turn it gives peace of mind about complications(In my mind & case at least)

CJ

I have BCBS Cobra thru my old work. Its $302.25 a month. I have a $500 deductable then pay 20% until I meet $1000 out of pocket then everything is free. It starts over every Jan. I just went to get my Rx and paid $175.00 for a 5pack of Lantus pens which wont even last me 3 months.

I cannot understand why there isnt some program out there to help with this disease. It isn't our fault. It costs each of us tons of money to stay alive. You have to make less than like $100 a month to qualify for assistance. Insurance companies need to be changed.

I have BCBS Cobra thru my old work. Its $302.25 a month. I have a $500 deductable then pay 20% until I meet $1000 out of pocket then everything is free. It starts over every Jan. I just went to get my Rx and paid $175.00 for a 5pack of Lantus pens which wont even last me 3 months.

I cannot understand why there isnt some program out there to help with this disease. It isn't our fault. It costs each of us tons of money to stay alive. You have to make less than like $100 a month to qualify for assistance. Insurance companies need to be changed.