Misdiagnosis

There is no 504 plan for my son yet. how did you get tutor for him? My son has missed his school since October last year. He stays home alone now.

I don’t really know what legal right my son has so I don’t feel safe to talk to his school right now. I sensed his school doesn’t want to give my son 504. In the beginning, I kept very close communication with my son’s school. Then I realized they don’t want to give him 504 so I am asking help from our T1D community to learn the legal rights of my son.

I am so new to this T1D and I am sorry that I can’t offer good advice on BS spike. What I did for my son’s diet is that I changed his diet regardless what his dietitian ordered. Brown rice, quinoa, mung beans, red beans, black beans, fish, lean proteins, vegetables. Eating with orders. Eat vegetables, protein first then carbs. Less diary, especially milk, no milk for days. Some vegetables helps, such as dandelion.

If anyone has a good 504 plan and would like to share with me, I will greatly appreciate your help. At this moment, I believe I need to write one myself to present it to the school.

Hi @Glucosebee . Someone suggested you connect with the JDRF chapter in your area - I think they will be able to help you or provide resources to help you get things in place with the 504 plan. You said in another post that English is not your first language (you’re writing very well, by the way) and from some of your questions I gather you are new to the United States. Forgive me if I’m making an incorrect assumption but if I am right maybe some of your local JDRF resources might be able to point you to services in your area that can help you get more comfortable with how to do things here. It’s not specifically what they do but sometimes they do know of things. I hope that makes sense.
I don’t have children so the points I am about to make are based on what I have learned from parents’ posts here and from life in general. Hopefully you will get some input from parents who can share first-hand information (and I hope you and they will forgive me for sharing my non-parent point of view) but:
As I understand it a school must implement a plan for any child who has need for one, whatever their medical or other condition. They may balk at doing so but they need to make it happen, regardless. Parents of children with diabetes or any medical condition, really, quickly learn they must be their child’s advocate to an even greater extent than otherwise - “Mama Bear” or “Papa Bear” mode multiplied. As I understand it, the parent and doctor work together to customize the plan for the child, in accordance with his or her needs and abilities. It’s not something you should have to write or should write on your own, although your input is crucial.
Has your doctor been helpful in working with you on writing one? If not - and if you don’t feel your son is being support from that practice - I encourage you to find another. Your son will be seeing a physician regularly for the rest of his life, so that relationship is crucial, most particularly in the beginning when new questions arise constantly and you always wonder if you’re doing the right thing. If you feel you’re not getting the respect and response you need, find another: your insurance plan’s website will have a section where you can search for physicians by specialty so you can look for endo’s there and contact their offices to see about switching. They will also provide you with a list of names over the phone and send a list to you (I did that recently myself).
One other suggestion: when you post a question you found a list of topics to select from. There is one for Parents and that may get you responses from fellow moms and dads with first-hand expertise.

Hello Melissa,
You mentioned you got a tutor for your son when he had to stay home. Can I ask you where and how you got the tutor? I am thinking about the learning options for my son. Thank you!