Metabolism

How long did it take for you bodies metabolism to get back to normal after DKA?

it's not actually your metabolism that's altered during DKA. in DKA, the nutrients you are consuming can't be absorbed, so they're just excreted and you lose weight. DKA is an inefficient use of energy. technically, your metabolism is the same whether you are in DKA or not.

without digging my books out of storage i can't tell you exactly how it works, but it's something along those lines. :o)

It depends on what you are asking. C is correct as far as metabolism goes. As far as weight goes that depends as well. How bad was your DKA? Did you end up in the hospital and for how long? The longer you were in DKA and the more weight you lost, the more time it will take to get back to noraml. If it is a relapse of keytones you are worried about I think the standard time is that you should read negative for keytones for 24-48 hours before you should stop checking. Hope this helps. DKA sucks!

Dan

Well I lost so much weight and was hospitalized but I gained it back and atleast 8 more pounds than I used to ever be so I was wondering if that was due to my body taking in everything the food has to offer now or the insulin and if I would ever go back to normal.

It all depends really on the situation. Usually when you loose a lot of weight really fast, as in the case of DKA, you put the weight back on just as fast. This is because your body is at its particular weight because of your eating habits. DKA doesn't really affect your eating habits as much as how your body absorbs the food. Therefore, when you are healthy again and you get back to your normal routine, your body will too. Be patient though, it can be a slow process. 

I'm just guessing here b/c I have no medical background in this, but I think your hypothesis makes sense. Your body was starving, and now you have plenty of insulin in your system and it's probably trying to absorb lots of calories.

If you're eating normally, and your BG's are okay, I'd think you just need to give your self time. *Knock on wood* I've never been in DKA except for diagnosis, so I don't know how long...

[quote user="Sarah"]

I'm just guessing here b/c I have no medical background in this, but I think your hypothesis makes sense. Your body was starving, and now you have plenty of insulin in your system and it's probably trying to absorb lots of calories.

If you're eating normally, and your BG's are okay, I'd think you just need to give your self time. *Knock on wood* I've never been in DKA except for diagnosis, so I don't know how long...

[/quote]

I was so young when I was diagnosed that I don't remember my DKA. I never had a problem with it until I was about 18. I didn't really know how severe keytones could be. I woke up one day sick as a dog with high bs and keytones. I was already throwing up and everything. I thought it was just a stomach thing though so I tried to just rest it off. At about 10 at night I had a friend drive me to the hospital and they thought I was drunk so they kind of ignored me. When all was said and done I had lost about 35 pounds in about 36 hours. It took me about 4 months to get back to my "normal" weight.