Marijuana and diabetes?

Hello everyone, I was recently exposed to the awful smell of marijuana, and it had this weird effect on me. I don't smoke marijuana or use any other type of drugs, but just the other day, my idiot brother smoked it for the first time and when he came home, he talked to me and the awful smell made my blood sugar drop by 50 points. So... does anyone know anything about this?

No, the smell of marijuana cannot make your sugar drop.  This topic was discussed recently in more depth, so perhaps you could do a search for it. Seriously though, you don't like the smell?  I love it. I don't smoke it, but when I go to concerts I always hope I'm sitting next to someone who is.

[quote user="spaghettio"]

No, the smell of marijuana cannot make your sugar drop.  This topic was discussed recently in more depth, so perhaps you could do a search for it. Seriously though, you don't like the smell?  I love it. I don't smoke it, but when I go to concerts I always hope I'm sitting next to someone who is.

[/quote]

HAHA, I love the smell too. 

I think it may have just been odd timing for the sugar drop mixed with the smell.

i've never heard of the smell dropping your bg numbers.. i've heard that smoking it could. i mean, i don't know for sure. you could always do some research on it. just stay away from it, smoking in general is bad for us diabetics! :)

I see, thanks for the replies.

hey man I've been a type 1 for 6yrs and I do smoke marijuana..it does not drop my blood sugar and it DEF wouldnt drop it just off the smell..Smoking is not good for anyone and I know that it may not be the best thing for me but also as a type 1 you are told to reduce your stress levels and most common people(non diabetics) drink alcohol or smoke cigarettes to do that. I have found that marijuana does not negatively affect my diabetes. Alcohol is extremely bad for diabetics, even when you think you have it understood with your diabetes something bad can happen. Cigarettes and alcohol are probably even worse than marijuana but its "socially" acceptable to drink and have a cigarette thats why it seems so bad. I am not telling anyone to go out there and do it or try it, if you dont already do it theres no need to start but I feel being a diabetic who"s A1c was 5.9 last week and I go to the gym 3 times a week and work full time I feel marijuana is the best solution for a diabetic when they need to relax. You do not get addicted to marijuana like cigarettes and alcohol and alcohol kills hundreds of kids and people each year with accidents and kidney failures. Marijuana may make you lazy and hungry but it does not alter your mind in a way to make you forget or not care about your diabetes. So again I am NOT saying go do it or w/e but I've been a type 1 for 6yrs and I have found that it is not a bad way to relax and still keep your body in good shape!

1 Like

i don't drink alcohol, i don't smoke cigarettes, and i don't do drugs. there are plenty of other healthy ways to reduce stress without taking your lungs out while you're at it (or risking a hefty fine and jail time). 

... just sayin'