Low-Fat or Whole?

I've been seeing a lot of references to low-fat versions of foods, and it seems to be a general recommendation for folks with diabetes.  But, I've also read that the natural fats in whole foods slows down absorption of carbs, and so helps prevent glucose spikes.  So, wouldn't whole milk, yogurt, etc. be better than low-fat?  Or, is this recommendation referring mostly to processed foods?

Mo

I try to stick to low-fat options of things when they are available and taste decent. You still get some fat in them and I think you only need a little bit to help slow the carb absorption. Plus most of the things you listed also have protein which helps too. However, if you are a healthy weight I don't think it makes that much of a difference especially with things like whole milk vs low-fat, I just try to avoid large quantities of fat, which is reccommended for all people. Hope that helps.

When I was diagnosed, the endo in the hospital told me that I would have to switch to skim milk.  Ever since that day it's the only milk my mother ever bought, even after I had flown the nest.  I also can not stand any other milk now.  I'll use 1% in tea or hot cereal but not to drink. I also love fat free Greek yogurt and any other kind tastes greasy to me. 

I try to get reduced fat cheese because fat free cheese is all pretty foul.  I also buy light salad dressings, usually Newman's.  They have a bunch of great reduced fat varieties that don't have massive amounts of sugar/carbs replacing the fat.  For most things I use Egg Beaters, not eggs, but I do buy real eggs when I'm in the mood for egg salad.  I usually discard some of the yolks.  The rest of the eggs that aren't made into salad I use as snacks or for part of my lunch and I do eat the whole thing, yolk & all.  I buy medium eggs because they fit in my lunchbox!

I had skim milk at my uncles before i went to bed to keep my bs normal all night. but i didn't know it was skim milk until about 3 am when i woke up with a bs of 42 and got to drink some yummy juice lol so since then i don't touch the skim milk and low fat stuff just confuses me :)

I usually go low fat when it comes to milk or yogurt and things like that.  The problem I've noticed is that the 'low fat' version of many products have a ton of added sugar to make up for taste. 

I preferably go with low-fat on anything I can find.  I haven't really researched the benefits as they relate to diabetes, but I imagine a lower fat diet would be better for a lot of reasons.  Especially with skim milk, I can hardly drink whole milk anymore.

Nutrition preference wise, I prefer non-fat. But I have noticed that my blood sugar seems to ride steadier if I drink low-fat, for example if I drink it in the morning. I think it may have something to do with how the body has to process through the fat thus the impact to blood sugars is slower...

I think I read recently (don't ask me where, 'cause it's all starting to fuzz together), to check the carbs on whole vs. low and non-fat milk.  The non-fat has the most carbs per quivalent serving?  I haven't checked myself, because I haven't been to the grocery store yet. 

Mo

I've tried to be aware of that as well, Monique, and so far I haven't seen a difference

There isn't much difference in the carb count in milk.  I've looked at a few sites online and most show a difference of maybe 1-2g between whole & skim milk. Heavy cream has no carbs.  Dr. Bernstein (the ultra low carb guy) recommends mixing water with cream to make "milk".  I'm gagging at just the thought of that.

Dude, what is life without carbs? :D

[quote user="Alyssa"]

Dude, what is life without carbs? :D

[/quote]

Atkins diet?

Dude, Mr. Atkins died falling on ice or something but I think when they examined him he was all messed up from his own diet LOL

Actually, Mr. Joe, if a life without carbs is the Atkins diet, then it's also a life like diabetes pre-diagnosis.
Has anyone else thought about that, how it's basically depriving yourself of nutrients (on purpose, however) just like we couldn't absorb nutrients before we got insulin...

I struggle with this question too. So many low-fat foods are full of chemicals and weird stuff. I opt of a lot of whole foods (i.e. fresh fruits and veg, whole grains, good quality meats). I always buy lower fat dairy products. I really love 1% milk and there are some really great options for yogurt. I look at the ingredients--if there are too many 'un-pronounceables', I keep looking! Although, one of my exceptions is fat free jello chocolate pudding. When I need a little choco fix, without the CHO, it is perfect!