Loss of Sites

Has anyone had loss of sites due to lack of infusing? My sites will no longer absorb insulin. Have switched from abs to thighs to flank and derriere. Have not tried the arms, yet. Does anyone know how long it takes for sites to rejuvenate???

Does anyone know how long it takes for sites to rejuvenate???
I think it would depend on why those sites stopped working effectively for you. If it is because you have built up scar tissue there, then I don't know and probably should not try to guess.

For whatever it’s worth, here is a quote from a brief article by Gary Scheiner.

The best way to avoid absorption problems is to ROTATE, ROTATE, ROTATE! Those who use the same couple of infusion sites repeatedly tend to see diminished insulin absorption and action over time. A small amount of scar tissue remains after an infusion set is removed; hitting the same small area again too soon keeps the scarred area from healing properly. Use areas on both sides of your body, and utilize 10-15 different spots on each side. It is only necessary to move an inch or two each time you change your site.

I have had the right side of my stomach stop absorbing insulin over 8 years ago and I try once every couple of years to see and it’s never worked. I think rotation (which when you begin with pump sites they don’t give very many) is most important to not building up scar tissue(or hardened fat tissues which can also affect absorption). I’ve just started using my arms and I find my biggest issues with a new site is figuring out where to clip my pump. If you try you’re arm and are feeling insecure about clipping the pump to a visible spot while still being able to access it, you can always clip it to the neck line of your shirt and wear a fancy scarf or tie and lite weight jacket to cover it up when wearing it on your arm. I think the only way to protect absorption is to rotate your sites.

Thank you for the responses. I have always rotated…r/l/up/down, abs/lower and upper, thighs, etc. After 44 yrs of shots and pumping, I guess I am just running out of real-estate. lol I am not a very large person to begin with.

I think it is also helpful to use different sets. I alternate with the quick sets for back areas and the silhouettes for stomach and side areas. I have used the area above my breasts near my shoulder. I do think they need to come up with better infusion sets so we don’t have this variation with the infusion.

Yah, i think mine absorb pretty well, when i use the MIO’s sites, there really easy to use, and they absorb very well. Maybe u cluld try that… well,.good luck! :slight_smile: ps. Hes right about the scar tishue as well…

@helins19

Being an insulin infusion user for the past 25 years I agree with you. I switch from the mio to the silhouettes as each one has a different depth especially the silhouettes are much deeper than the meal being an insulin infusion user for the past 25 years I agree with you. I switch from the meals to the silhouettes as each one has a different depth especially the Scylla wet’s are much deeper than the mio.

I have been diabetic for 22 years and on the pump for 16 or so years and I do find that I have to find new places to put my infusion sets. I also find that using different sets helps. I rotate between the quick set and the mio. I originally started using the mio because it comes in the insertion device and over the years I have traveled out of town and forgotten the insertion device and had to have Medtronic overnight one to me! It also seems that certain sets work better in certain places. The mio set works well on my on my sides of my abdomen but when I use the quickset there the tape doesn’t stick well. There are also places on my abdomen that I can only use the quickset and whenever I have used the mio in those same areas I hit a vessel and have to take it out and end up with a nasty bruise.