Leftover insulin

Hi everyone,

I recently started on my pump. I'm on the Animas Ping and I love it!!! However, I got stuck with leftover insulin pens and have no idea what to do with them. I keep forgetting to ask my doctor but I definitely don't want to throw them away. Does anyone know if I can do something with them?!?!

check with local hospitals, and with local pharmacies.  Sometimes unexpired and unopened product can benefit someone - however as with most pharmaceuticals (especially materials that "require" refrigeration)- no one wants to take responsibility and it's sometimes safer for hospitals to dispose of it rather than re-issue or reuse it,  

it's a nice jesture, really, cheers!

Keep at least one of them. WHen you have a ridiculous high your pump may not bring you down as fast as a pen. WHen my daughter is over 300 for no apparent reason we use either an injection or a pen. They are also handy for emergencies if your pump were to fail for some reason.

Keep at least one of them. WHen you have a ridiculous high your pump may not bring you down as fast as a pen. WHen my daughter is over 300 for no apparent reason we use either an injection or a pen. They are also handy for emergencies if your pump were to fail for some reason.

I agree, keep a few for emergencies like pump failures.  Also, check with your local chapter of JDRF or ADA.  Most of them take supply donations for people you can't afford them.

I'm on same pump as you Cheyanne - I use the syringe that you use for your cartridge and suck it out of the pens through the rubber stopper. Hope you figured it out :)

I've asked about leftover pens and my doctor told me to keep them

You might also look into Healthcare for the Homeless or a similar organization in your area.  Keep some for low-tech backup until they expire.  Be sure to donate soon enough that the recipient would be able to use the pens before they expire, too.