Lantus Experience?

I was doing the two dose method for a while, but actually cut lantus right out because I was getting so many lows!  I was eating all morning constantly just to keep my blood sugars up!  Which is no good working at a plant because sometimes I need to be in the plant, not snacking in my office!  I wasn't taking very much in the first place but I just stopped taking it and take a little more insulin at meals.  Works for me, my A1C is 6.2

I rarely put my insulin in the fridge, unless its the summer and it's warm out..and the only time I have every actually -felt- the insulin, is when the bottles been fresh out of the fridge..but I don't notice that anymore really.

My endo originally put me on the one dose at night, but after 6months changed me back to the two doses. According to him, there's only about 1% of diabetes he's had experience with who can actually get by with only one shot of long acting, and apparently I'm not in that percentage! Now I do 20 in the AM, and 10 in the PM.

I take 10 unites of Lantus before bed time, never have any burning or discomfort. I use the pen because the syringes freaked me out. The needle is shorter which may be a good thing for some people? I know it helped for me!!!

I am usually perfect if I wake up before 9:30, normally between 100-120. Do you normally eat late at night? I know that if I have a late dinner because I take a short acting (Novolog) at all meals it may be a little different in the morning.

[quote user="Courtney"]

I take 10 unites of Lantus before bed time, never have any burning or discomfort. I use the pen because the syringes freaked me out. The needle is shorter which may be a good thing for some people? I know it helped for me!!![/quote]

you can actually get pretty short syringes now. my syringes are 8mm and are noticibly shorter than the ones i used growing up. how short are the pen tips? i tried one last year for my lantus and they seemed longer to me than my syringes.

OMG! i hate lantus. it is the worse!!!!! everytime i take it it leaves a small hard spot under my skin. sometimes it burns and other times it just hurts. my mom thinks it is because it is so cold, but i think it is because i am taking so much lantus at 1 time. I take 27 units to be exsact.

[quote user="Batts"]

[quote user="Courtney"]

I take 10 unites of Lantus before bed time, never have any burning or discomfort. I use the pen because the syringes freaked me out. The needle is shorter which may be a good thing for some people? I know it helped for me!!![/quote]

you can actually get pretty short syringes now. my syringes are 8mm and are noticibly shorter than the ones i used growing up. how short are the pen tips? i tried one last year for my lantus and they seemed longer to me than my syringes.

[/quote]

My pen needles are 8mm and 31 gauge. About half the length of the syringes I had at first.

[quote user="Eviboo<3"]

OMG! i hate lantus. it is the worse!!!!! everytime i take it it leaves a small hard spot under my skin. sometimes it burns and other times it just hurts. my mom thinks it is because it is so cold, but i think it is because i am taking so much lantus at 1 time. I take 27 units to be exsact.

[/quote]

I use my Lantus right out of the refrigerator and I've never had a problem. Do you have sensitive skin?

[quote user="Courtney"]

[quote user="Batts"]

[quote user="Courtney"]

[/quote]

My pen needles are 8mm and 31 gauge. About half the length of the syringes I had at first.

[/quote]

oh yeah, then they are the same as mine. i can't remember when they came out with the short needles, but i was thankful for it! haha

I feel like syringes are not user friendly. They are a harsh color. haha  And the whole drawing air in and all that b.s. Plus I had a hard time balancing the bottle and drawing in the insulin at the same time. Maybe that's just me.

I think I saw someone else say they had this problem, but I only get a bump or sting when I'm injecting a lot of insulin at once, especially if it's in a place I don't have much fat.  I take 28 units of Lantus, but I can't do it in my stomach because of the lack of fat lol I guess that's a good thing but it still hurts sometimes.

I used the Lantus for a long time and never had any burning or discomfort from it...when I first went on it, I was doing one dose at bedtime (can't remember how much, that was a long time ago) and it wouldn't last me the whole 24 hours either. So we switched to one dose in the morning and another at night, and that helped. But after a few years of the Lantus (I was on it for 5 or 6 years) it stopped working. My blood sugars were CRAZY out of control and I was sick all the time. So we tried switching to 70/30, and that wasn't working either.....went back on the Lantus and ended up going into DKA this past September. While I was in the hospital, I switched over to Levemir and it has helped out A LOT. I also switched from a sliding scale of my novalog. I take my Levemir twice a day (22 in the morning, 25 at bed) and have a set amount of insulin that I take at every meal. (12 units Novalog at breakfast and 15 at lunch and dinner) and changing these two things has helped me get control of my blood sugars. Better control of them than I have ever had in the almost 13 years that I've had diabetes! 

[quote user="DaynaNayna8915713"]

I used the Lantus for a long time and never had any burning or discomfort from it...when I first went on it, I was doing one dose at bedtime (can't remember how much, that was a long time ago) and it wouldn't last me the whole 24 hours either. So we switched to one dose in the morning and another at night, and that helped. But after a few years of the Lantus (I was on it for 5 or 6 years) it stopped working. My blood sugars were CRAZY out of control and I was sick all the time. So we tried switching to 70/30, and that wasn't working either.....went back on the Lantus and ended up going into DKA this past September. While I was in the hospital, I switched over to Levemir and it has helped out A LOT. I also switched from a sliding scale of my novalog. I take my Levemir twice a day (22 in the morning, 25 at bed) and have a set amount of insulin that I take at every meal. (12 units Novalog at breakfast and 15 at lunch and dinner) and changing these two things has helped me get control of my blood sugars. Better control of them than I have ever had in the almost 13 years that I've had diabetes! 

[/quote]

That's crazy! That's excatly what happened to me(minus the DKA) when I switched over to Lantus and a sliding scale for Novorapid from fixed doses of N & R for 13years!

Some people experience burning at injection sites with Lantus is because it is acidic-based (pH of 4) and your body (at the injection sites) has a neutral pH of about 7.4.  Novolog and Humalog are both neutral pH insulins with a pH in the 7.0 to 7.8 range.  Levemir, a Lantus competitor, has a pH of about 7.4.  So, if Lantus stings when injected for a paticular person it is likely to sting no matter the delivery method.

My son did not express an issue with burning in the very short time he was on Lantus.  However, we had issues with roller coaster blood sugar numbers (even more out of whack than usual).  So, we switched to Levemir and the problems went away.  My son's endo normally prescribes Levemir for his patients solely because of the pH issue and that it is less likely to sting during injections.  Levemir and Lantus are both basal insulins that last upwards of one day.  Lantus is much better known though.

The article at the link below is really interesting.  It gives a short-form recipie for Lantus and Levemir.  Not sure you want to know that your insulin is brewed with E. Coli, but an interesting read nonetheless.

http://www.diabeteshealth.com/read/2007/07/17/5316/lantus-and-levemir--whats-the-difference?section=202

i noticed a little sting, but it didn't bother me to much. my dr. said it's more acidic than other insulins.

i noticed a little sting, but it didn't bother me to much. my dr. said it's more acidic than other insulins.

my uncle worked closely with my dr cause he is an endocronoligist and he got me started on lantus 3-4 years ago i think when i started it didn't just hurt, it would throw me on the floor crying my eyes out and i'd bleed and i'd get a mosquito bite bump. i was told to just deal with it. its gotten better, but once in a while it still bleeds and burns/stings so bad i end up on the ground. and i don't exaggurate pain. i've gotten my ankle smashed by a horse and got right back on and done a ton of other stupid things like that

I have noticed some discomfort with lantus...I take lantus via syrings and I take 1 night time shot for 26 units. And sometimes it burns. Also, just lately I have gone really really low like to 32 right afer i take it....I want the lantus solostar pen tho...

Here's a similar thread I had posted because of the burning sensation I feel when using levemir.

http://juvenation.org/forums/p/1442/9925.aspx#9925

Hey Brian,

My daughter was on Lantus and experienced a "burning" sensation.  We told the doctor and she was switched to Levemir.  She uses a pen, but even the Levemir will burn sometimes.  We think we've figured out, that if we don't leave the needle in long enough, the insulin comes back out and touches the site, which in turn, may cause the burning.  I'm not a doctor, I just play one at home.  :-)

Ive been using Lantus at bedtime 30-35units in a syringe for many many years and its fine. Nothing wrong with it. You should never give a shot right out of the refridgerator. Just roll the syringe in your hand for a sec.

I am now switching to the Lantus Solo Star pen because it doesnt have to be kept in the refridge. Only the ones youre not using need to stay cold. It makes it alot easier staying away from home. Not all hotels have refridgerators, staying at a friends house. Im tired of carrying ice packs around on airplanes too. Now I wont have to.

I use the Humalog Pens and they are great too. Same way to use Lantus pens.