Joined Today, 8-1-10

Angela,

I went to a local pet store and fell in love with a Russian Tortoise. I did some research and found that they are fairly social animals, easy to care for, and are supposed to live a long time. I would hate to get a classroom pet, and then put the kids (or me) through it passing away. The kids will be able to name him and feed him lettuce, and he will be pretty quiet. I think this is a good pet to start out with, and I think he is as cute as a bug :)

I've heard that 3rd grade is a good grade to teach too.  My wife used to teach it and loved it.  I like 4th grade because they are little kids, but you don't have to talk to them like they are little kids.  I really enjoy the age group!  I wanted to teach jr. high, but could only find an elementary job.  I'm glad it worked out that way!!

I am from Durand, Illinois, which is in Northern Illinois, about an hour and a half northwest of Chicago.  I live four miles from the Wisconsin border!  I grew up in Peoria, Illinois (home of Caterpillar), but had to relocate to find a teaching job back in 2002. 

A Russian Tortoise sounds like it might be huge??!!!!!!  Sounds like a lot of fun!  Let us know how the year goes with your new pet!!  Can't wait! 

They are only suppose to get to be 10 inches in diameter, and that is for the largest males. I think I am going to go get him and set him up this weekend!