Insulin pump Site Changes

I've been a T1 for almost 14 years in January, and I don't know about anyone else but I am a HUGE baby when it comes to site changes. I can do without, but usually I cheat and use numbing cream. My doctor makes jokes every time I ask for it, saying he usually stops writing prescriptions for that when kids are like 10, but hey, if that's one less thing I have to feel, I'll take all the teasing you can dish out. Then when I'm running low on the stuff, Ice is my next choice.

So, I guess i was just curious to see if anyone use's any cheats or has any tricks up their sleeves?

Sandra, which pump and which infusion set are you using? I use the Minimed pump with the Sure-T sets. Sure-T's have a very short metal needle, 6 mm in length (that's about a quarter inch). They insert straight in, by hand. There is no inserter mechanism. I do not usually feel it when I push the needle in, and when I do feel it, it lasts only a few seconds. If you use the Animas pump I think you can also ask for the Sure-T sets.

I used to use ice, but it never really worked, so I don't use any cheats.

But when I'm home from school, I usually have my dad do my site change that way I don't have to deal with it.

I use the minimed paradigm pump, and the silhouette set. I used to use the quick sets, but those always had the tendency to kink and fail to deliver insulin. Either way though, I've always been ultra sensitive, therefore if there's anyway around it, I'm all for it. I only suck it up when its an urgent site change lol I used to have my mom do them all too :)

This post made me giggle a little, not at you , but I thought I was the only one with issues...I use the quickset with the spaceship looking inserter....haha I have the pump for almost 7ish maybe 8 years, same site stuff, and have always done it in my belly (until the scar tissue gets insane)...but anyway....for the last 7 years I get a sense of small panic when I put it in, and I am afraid to put it in when anyone is in the same room with me...first I ll place it on my belly, go..."ehhh...." pull it away, test the two buttons, make sure its going to release ok....and then I do this like 3 times, and all while my husband is sitting in the other room trying to sneak a look haha...I have done it to him so he knows what it feels like, but he is so curious when I put it in...so i give him a mission of drawing up the insulin while I do the site so I don't ever have to worry haha...so after "testing" the spaceship inserter 3 or 4 times, I finally do it haha.....its taken a long time to perfect these awesome skills, but hey--- it gets the job done!

and what is so funny, is that I have been doing shots of insulin for ever, and even my career is to start IVS and give meds (I work on an ambulance)...i am still scared to put a set in hahaha....

oye

I actually just started pumping 2 months ago. I use the Quick Sets. When I put my first set in with my CDE and Medtronic educator I was sooo nervous. Actually, for me putting in set hurts less than shots used to. Plus one every three days beats 3-4 or more a day!

[quote user="Cassandra"]

This post made me giggle a little, not at you , but I thought I was the only one with issues...I use the quickset with the spaceship looking inserter....haha I have the pump for almost 7ish maybe 8 years, same site stuff, and have always done it in my belly (until the scar tissue gets insane)...but anyway....for the last 7 years I get a sense of small panic when I put it in, and I am afraid to put it in when anyone is in the same room with me...first I ll place it on my belly, go..."ehhh...." pull it away, test the two buttons, make sure its going to release ok....and then I do this like 3 times, and all while my husband is sitting in the other room trying to sneak a look haha...I have done it to him so he knows what it feels like, but he is so curious when I put it in...so i give him a mission of drawing up the insulin while I do the site so I don't ever have to worry haha...so after "testing" the spaceship inserter 3 or 4 times, I finally do it haha.....its taken a long time to perfect these awesome skills, but hey--- it gets the job done!

and what is so funny, is that I have been doing shots of insulin for ever, and even my career is to start IVS and give meds (I work on an ambulance)...i am still scared to put a set in hahaha....

oye

[/quote]

Haha, you rock. Plain and simple. JUST sayin!

[quote user="Kelly720"]

I actually just started pumping 2 months ago. I use the Quick Sets. When I put my first set in with my CDE and Medtronic educator I was sooo nervous. Actually, for me putting in set hurts less than shots used to. Plus one every three days beats 3-4 or more a day!

[/quote]

Hello! I can't say that it hurts, and I completely agree, I would rather have my site then have shots 4-6 times a day....but its more the anxiety and the anticipation of having to hit two buttons that get to me...lol...some of my diabetic friends are the same way haha....

[quote user="Sandra"]

[quote user="Cassandra"]

oye

[/quote]

Haha, you rock. Plain and simple. JUST sayin!

[/quote]

haha thanks :-P

Hi Everyone...

my daughter just started the pump on Monday (11/15)...the first insertion of the set was fine with the trainer...when we had to change it on Weds. we hit a sensitive spot...I removed the infusion set and we tried again with another. She was very cautious the past two days...saying that the site didn't hurt too much but that it was a little sore. We just changed again after her bath this evening and she said it doessn't feel too bad but when she tries to get up from lying down (as if she is doing a "sit up") she says it hurts. Is this common? She has a minimed paradigm 523 and uses the sure-T.

[quote user="zoesmommy13"]

Hi Everyone...

my daughter just started the pump on Monday (11/15)...the first insertion of the set was fine with the trainer...when we had to change it on Weds. we hit a sensitive spot...I removed the infusion set and we tried again with another. She was very cautious the past two days...saying that the site didn't hurt too much but that it was a little sore. We just changed again after her bath this evening and she said it doessn't feel too bad but when she tries to get up from lying down (as if she is doing a "sit up") she says it hurts. Is this common? She has a minimed paradigm 523 and uses the sure-T.

[/quote]

Yes, I would say this is normal.  I have a paradigm 522 and use the quick-sets.  Sometimes I hit a bad spot.  I usually say a few choice words in frustration, yank it out, and try again.  Sometimes, I put the set in and it feels fine, but if I bump it or move a certain way it hurts a little.

Also, I've been pumping for a long time, so normally I don't feel the sets once they're in.  But I would imagine that it takes some getting used to and that it might take your daughter a little while to become accustomed to her new bff.  There are some others who are more recent pumpers that might be more helpful with that.  My memory from when I first got the pump is a bit fuzzy.  ;)

I hope the pumping goes well for your daughter!  It was definitely a game changer for me!

[quote user="Cassandra"]

[quote user="Kelly720"]

[/quote]

Hello! I can't say that it hurts, and I completely agree, I would rather have my site then have shots 4-6 times a day....but its more the anxiety and the anticipation of having to hit two buttons that get to me...lol...some of my diabetic friends are the same way haha....

[/quote]

I haven't used anything except the Quicksets, but maybe trying a different set would help you. Have you tried one of the ones that you insert manually? I've heard from others that those are easier for them. Just a thought, but it may help with the anticipation button pushes!

Hey Sandra -

I also use the SureT infusion set with my Minimed Pump, and I've never had issues. I formally used the QuickSets and had issues with them. Then I changed to the SureT, and I haven't had a problem since! I was surprised since it's a metal needle and not bendy plastic. Surprisingly very comfortable, and it truly doesn't hurt when you put the set in. The only issue I ever had was putting the set in too close to a muscle - very painful. Aside from that, I'm very happy. I've never used numbing cream with changes. I guess I just got used to it after a while. Though there's nothing wrong with using a cream or ice!

~ Anna