Insulin abuse

I just read a article on athletes using insulin to increase performance. It said that insulin is used to increase muscle and endurance. They have a few fall out from low blood sugar and ended up in the hospital!!! What is going on that performance is worth risking death????????  

[quote user="Keith221"]

I just read a article on athletes using insulin to increase performance. It said that insulin is used to increase muscle and endurance. They have a few fall out from low blood sugar and ended up in the hospital!!! What is going on that performance is worth risking death????????  

[/quote]

Here's the article I read!!  http://www.silownia.net/steroids/insulin.

strange. the last thing i feel like doing when i have low blood sugar is bodybuilding. i feel more like sprawling across the floor and being as beligerent as possible. those people are just plain dumb.

I agree with C that's completely insane!!! I went low today while playing Softball and pitched one more ball and felt like just laying down much less wanting to do any extremem body lifting and what not.

I don't understand this at all, either.  Using drugs to enhance performance is cheating anyway -- how could anyone become the best at their sport while using drugs and not feel horribly guilty afterward? 

Ginger Viera, our resident Diabetic Female Power Lifting Champ, would be able to expound on this, but she doesn't get on here a lot. I can summarize some of what her and my discussions have been regarding insulin and muscle development....

Basically, you can take insulin post-workout and stacked with carbs, it increases your muscles' absorption of nutrients etc. and can lead to faster muscle growth. Insulin acts as a steroid in that way and some athletes/power lifters will use it for the muscle building edge, but they also risk going hypoglycemic as a result.

/ it's science!

shoot...why didn't someone tell me about this 5 years ago when I was playing ball!!! haha

This is intriguing in theory, but somehow the risk of a Hypo does not appeal to me. Thank you for explaining this Pat.

Thank Ginger, if she decides to make one of her cameos on here. I just paraphrased from her :)