In Need of Some Help, Please...Numbness

I was just asked a question by a T1 friend of mine that I didn't have an answer to but I said I would pose it to everyone here to see if there was some explanation...My friend is in good control (6.9 A1c 3 weeks ago)...however, yesterday morning and this morning she has experienced some sudden onset of numbness after drinking her morning coffee (with only Walmart brand sugar free French Vanilla creamer added). The numbness starts on her tongue and moves to her extremities (finger tips, knee caps, ankles), and when she walks she says it is like walking in sand (feet feel very heavy)...she said that these feeling discipate over the course of the morning. Has anyone experienced this or know someone who has...just looking for some clues or ideas...Thanks

First things first is to rule out hypoglycemia.  Need BG check during the symptoms.  Also, consider any patterns of activity associated with symptoms that might cause some peripheral nerve compression, such as sitting with legs crossed while drinking morning coffee.  Diabetic peripheral neuropathy usually manifests in the extremities first, and has associated pain.  Beyond that, it sounds like she needs a visit to a neurologist. If symptoms are progressing, she should do so with urgency.

Randy, thank you and I appreciate your response...at the onset of feeling this way, my friend took her blood sugar and it was 112.  She does have neuropathy (has lost two toes), but these symptoms displayed rather quickly just in the last two days, and as she said, it seems to happen right after her morning coffee (she is 49 and has been drinking coffee with the same creamer for what seems like forever).

Hey Michael.  Since the tongue is involved, I don't think these symptoms arise from DPN.  I think it would be wise for your friend to see her neurologist.  People with T1DM can get conditions like MS and Guillian-Barre syndrome, and it would be better to rule those things out sooner rather than later.

Also have her get her Blood Pressure checked.  Those could also be symptoms of a TIA (mini stroke)  Does it only happen during the mornin gs?  or when she drinks coffee?  see if there are any other common denominators... And as always... I would suggest she go see her Dr.   We can guess a million things, but a doctor can diagnose and treat her more appropriately.  Sooner than later is always better!  Good Luck.