Hypothyroidism and weight loss?

Can hypothyroidism (and not taking the medicine) contribute to weight gain? I am SUPPOSED to be taking Levothyroxine for it, but I haven't in a while and I'm starting to put on some weight too. Are they related or is it just a coincidence that I'm gaining this weight while not taking the pills?

Yes! When you have an underactive thyroid you most likely have a low metabolism. Your thyroid hormones strongly influence how much energy you have considering they help in breaking down calories and using that for energy (much like diabetes and carbohydrates). The medication you should be on helps in replacing the tissue that your body has attacked and helps in using your calories for energy. The thyroid also regulates other hormones in your body.

Have you ever had problems with anything else that could be linked to your hormones?

Oh okay. No I don't think theres any other problems (other then hypothyroid and diabetes). I know there my family history has a lot of thyroid problems though.

A lot of times people are diagnosed with any thyroid conditions around menopause. Mostly because it is more noticeable around this time because of the fact that your thyroid affects your other hormones. I remember when I was younger and first getting my period I wasn't very good about taking my medicine so I had some weird issues with that. At a young age they had to put me on birth control because my hormones were so out of control. Once I started taking my medication regularly everything seemed to work out fine.

Savs,

Why did you stop taking your thyroid med?

To be honest, Gina, I don't know why.

I think it has something to do with denial. For the longest time I had been in denial about my diabetes, too. Something in the back of my mind (I'm probably starting to scare people here) tells me by not taking my medicine, I can prove I don't have it (stupid, I know).

I'm currently working on coming to the realization that I DO need my medicines, ESPECIALLY my insulin with the help of you guys.

The way that I think about it is that you have one life to live and you should live it healthy. I want to be here to get married and have kids and when I do that I want to be here for my kids. And if I don't take care of myself now I will never get to that point. 

It's better to take care of yourself because hospitals suck.

Savs,

Well I know how you feel about being in denial about your diabetes and hypothroidism, because I was in your position. For many yrs after being dx I didn't take care of myself either by not taking my insulin or not taking my Synthroid for my hypothroidism. Until I had lost my little brother to diabetes 9 yrs ago this Sept. and it opened my eyes to the fact that if I wanted to live a long and healty life I had to take care of myself. And even now I struggle with taking care of myself in regards to taking my meds and just taking care of my #'s. But since being here and listening to everyone else talk about how they take care and don't let either condition rule them it has helped me and given me comfort knowing that I'm not the only one going through this.

So just very recently I made a pledge to myself that I would do better(maybe not perfect but I will work at it!!), and right now for me it's an issue of money as I don't have any and really can't afford my supplies but I still try to do what I can with what I have.

So I guess my point is that many of us have been in your position and alot of us have released what we are doing to ourselves, and made a pledge to ourselves. And just know that we are here for support and that we will not judge as many of us know how hard this is.

CJ

Savs,

Not scary at all. It's life.

We all go through denial. Even me! In 2005 I omitted my insulin for 10 months. Omitted meaning I only put my pump on and the basals would run but, I wouldn't take insulin for what I ate because I was in denial, depression and whatever other emotion you can think of.  I can only tell you that if you truley want to take care of yourself you need your insulin, and I know that no matter what I say or anyone else on here that you have to do it when you are ready.I know this because I went through it myself.

But, it sounds like you are ready or else you wouldn't come on here to get support. Start off with baby steps. I know you can do it! If you need me give me a holler!

Gina

thanks everyone (:

The support on here is just phenomenal, really.

I don't have diabetes, my husband and middle son do, but I do have hypothroidism as a result of treatment for Graves Disease.  There are some theories about clusters of autoimmune diseases, including diabetes, thyroid disease, and celiac.  That's why most diabetics are checked for these diseases regularly.

Before we got married, my husband didn't want to have children, because he was worried about passing on diabetes to his children.  Imagine my feelings of guilt when I realized that the combination of our two diseases are probably a contributing factor to our child having diabetes.  But, my so is so worth it--diabetes or not.

My husband works to take care of his diabetes and we work to care for our son, so that when there is a cure, they are both in the best possible shape to take advantage of it.

In regards to not taking your levothyroxine, here are some side effects:  fatigue, weight gain, constipation, fingernail trouble, retinopathy, depression, hair loss, and more.  I really encourage you to take this medication.  I bet your depression will start to lift.  And, you will reduce the possiblity of more complications than those of your diabetes.

Take care of yourself.  Reward yourself for doing so to give you something to motivate yourself.  And, keep your body ready for the cure I believe is coming. 

Hang in there!

OMG... take your meds!!!   :)   I have both too and trust me, you will feel 100% better if you take your Levothyroxine.  The energy you will have and the desire to do things again will make you think "WOW" I should have been taking this the entire time.  Same thing with the insulin.  You know the difference in how you feel from when its 300 vs 100.  Same thing with the thyroid meds.  After a while, you just get tired of feeling like crap and the meds are like a new lease on life.  Trust me, you'll be glad you did.  :)