How to get Life Insurance for T1D child

My T1D son is 9 years old and he does not have any life insurance. He was diagnosed at age 4.
I think it would be better for me to try to get him a life insurance plan now while he is younger, rather than waiting for when he is an adult.
Does anyone have any experience with this?
Any suggestions on what to do?
I am assuming it will be difficult since it is a pre-existing condition.

hi @kerircook , welcome to Type One Nation. I wish I had something useful, but unfortunately, I don’t know. I guess you can call Prudential or AIG and just ask. It may cost an awful lot. If it is ok to ask; If I had no liabilities, Life insurance would be for my final expenses, so my family doesn’t have unexpected costs. It might be more beneficial for you to not pay a high term-life premium but instead to to put aside some money that could be used for final expense into an investment account, and if it grows and is not used for that, for other expenses or even college. I am just not immediately sure if an actual life insurance premium is more beneficial for you than a self-funded investment like equity or bonds… just a thought.

2 Likes

I don’t know which policies are now available for which circumstances, but we bought our grandson a policy from GERBER life 20 years ago without health issues. Being a child with T1D may cause limitations or to be denied, but it wouldn’t hurt to call or look at them on line and see if there is something available for him. I hope this helps.

1 Like