How is it possible to have ketones with normal blood glucose levels?

I thought for diabetics to maintain good blood sugar levels, they take the right amount of insulin and exercise and stick with a good diet plan.

However, I thought ketones are an indication of not enough insulin. So how is it possible to have normal blood glucose levels and still have ketones?

I think someone once told me that even if you have good blood sugars, you can have ketones because you aren't drinking enough water, but I'm not sure if that's accurate. Is there any other reason?

Thanks so much for your help

Sam

KETONES ARE PRESENT IN EVERYONE IN SMALL AMOUNTS. THEY ARE A BY PRODUCT OF YOUR BODY BURNING FAT FOR FUEL. DRINKING MORE WATER HELPS KEP THEM FLUSHED FROM YOUR SYSTEM BUT WILL NOT TOTALLY ELIMINATE THEM.

Probably you could get them from exercising even w/ a normal BG, but I've never exercised hard enough to have that happen to me. (;

Stress, pregnancy and illness can also cause them.  Also, some people are just more prone than others to spill ketones. 

any time your body is burning fat for energy will cause ketones. like everyone else has mentioned, there are lots of reasons for this! exercise, illness, stress (of any kind), pregnancy, excess glucose in the blood/not enough insulin, not enough carbs for the body... lots of reasons! it's usually not a reason to worry unless you start to feel symptomatic (extreme thirst, frequent urination, nausea, vomiting, weight loss, etc).

Yeah, the ONLY time I've ever had more than trace ketones was when I was pregnant, esp when my BG was low. Always freaked me out, but my OB told me not to worry unless they were beyond mod. Ah, fun memories...

Hey sam I had ketones for three months my sugars were high once that whole time I ended up finding out I had an infection but doctors said drink tons of water