How I feel about Type 2

I 99% agree with you, but in some cases T2 people have to go on insulin, much like a T1. I'm not saying my grandfather knows exactly how I feel, but he is on Lantus and Apidra and checks his blood sugar as often as I do.

I am not saying I don't like Type 2s, but people get us confused and when they say I need to lose weight or I can't have candy I get mad.  Geeeerrrrrrrrr.

I agree totally with everyone here who is saying the media makes people think that we cause ourselves to have T1. We don't! Honestly, in my opinion, they shouldn't even call type 2 diabetes type2 diabetes because it is completely different. different causes, effects, lifestyles, etc.  T1 should just be called diabetes and T2 some other name. The media never clarifies which type they are talking about in articles about obesity, etc.  and like in health class the other day, we were watching the movie "Supersize Me" and they were talking about diabetes a little and said something about if the diabetes is diagnosed between ages 7-16 (or something like that) the life span is shortened by anywhere from 10-17 years. That made me mad.... but anyway Type 2 is so much different, but people don't understand. They will say things like "oh, but she's not fat. Did she have to lose a lot of weight to stay alive?" (okay, maybe that was a bit of an exaggeration.(: ) and it makes me so mad that even if they did change the name of T2, people are still uneducated and wouldn't care to educate themselves or at least think before they say things, because usually what they say are misconceptions or myths or just plain made up dumb ideas. and the news has had so many stories, articles, videos, etc. about obesity and how it makes you get diabetes or how America is so fat and we are all overweight and whoever is over weight is diabetic (not specifying which type). okay, well I'll be done ranting for now but apparently you all know how i feel anyway because you feel the same way(:

I had a friend die from t2 a month after i was diagnosed. I dont  know if I could have stopped her,well maybe  i could have. Maybe I could have did something to talk her out of it but what would that have done. She would have seen me like she saw every one else,from the outside looking in. She would thought of me as a hypocrite and not her Diabetic best friend. Take it as you will. - The Poet

I feel the same way as you! I know someone with Type 2, an they said “Now that you have Diabetes we are one-in-the-same!” & I was too nice to say anything…but later on I told my mom, "NO. NO WE ARE NOT. They did EVERYTHING to cause their Diabetes and I did NOTHING. I have always eaten and been healthy. And also, Type 2 don’t have to take shots/ have an annoying pump on them all the time and they can reverse their condition! I know that if us Type 1 Diabetics could reverse our disease WE WOULD. BUT THESE PEOPLE STILL DON’T GET HEALTHY. THEY DON’T EVEN TRY TO REVERSE THEIR DIABETES. When us Type 1’s are over here dealing with all this, and apparently “We are one in the same…NO.” I’m so sorry, that probably sounded room. But I have always been sensitive about this stuff.

Please everyone we are just one big diabetic family yes some type 2 do bring on diabetes but other don't but all this infighting does not help to find a cure we are all fighting for the same thing a cure

This is true - but even when they "bring it on themselves" they don't really. No one asks for it! The thing I don't like is when an old lady will say, "Hey, we're like the diabetes sisters now!" I get so uncomfortable!

Emily, what do you mean when you say they never really bring it on themselves?

I mean to say a person can make mistakes or have unhealthy habits, but does not ask for type 2 diabetes. On the other hand, I entirely understand that type 2 is ENCOURAGED by unhealthy habits, but type 1 isn't. So it's not like I don't get what it means, because it's really different than type 1. And trust me, it drives me CRAAAAAZY!!!!!!! that people always mix up types 1 and 2. Like, I ate too much candy and was fat so now I have the same diabetes as your grandma/granpa/Uncle Jimmy? No. I definitely know!

Okay, gotcha!

Only like 5% of diabetic are type 1, so the info out there is mostly for them. It's actually really annoying to me. Although I think it would be annoying to have type to from genetics and not dieti and be in the same group. But now all diabetics,all types, are thought to be the unhealthy people of the world. And it's so not that way! I actually know that most people that are obese are so from an emotional problem and depression and that is hard to deal with I would guess, but at the same time they can change their condition, and I'm stuck this way...

I ran into a woman the other day that's type 2 and she was so put off that she had to start taking insulin shots that she talked to her doctor and did what he said to loose the weight and then could go ack to just taking oral meds...and part of me was like good for you for loosing the weight, but part of me was angry that no matter what I do..I'll be like this forever, just fighting to keep my organs, limbs and eyesight.

I'm not angry a type 2s, especially the ones who are genetically disposed, I think obese people should change their life because they can, and I feel sorry for them because it's not just diabetes they'll be dealing with but heart and breathing problems. I'm more angry at people for assume things and spreading the myths or just not being understanding.

I often feel super guilty for some of my frustration with diabetes-related ignorance, and all it has to do with type 2, coming out as anger toward INDIVIDUALS with type 2. But I am soooooo glad I'm not the only person out there who feels this way about type 2!!!!