How high do you go after a meal?

Hey everyone, 

I was just wondering if you could give me some insight into how high you generally go following a meal (like breakfast, lunch or dinner). I am a bit concerned because I generally rise to about 210 following a meal, regardless of how low GI it is or even if I super bolus... for example.. 

breakfast - oatmeal - 250

lunch - salad, rice, chicken - 220

dinner - lets see .. I'm going to guess 220 

I would say you're heading in the right direction. I usually aim for 120 after meals and in reality, usually hit 80-220 depending on the day. Since going back on the continuous glucose monitor, I've found my spikes to be around 180 at their peak. Post-breakfast is the hardest for many T1's, so I've personally given up high carb food like oatmeal, bananas, etc and go for something around 15 carbs. (Like a thin slice of bread w/ cheese on it -- not as good as cheerios!!).

If you're going too high after, have you tried to take your meal bolus / short-acting a bit before your meal so it's in your system once you start eating? I've found I have to inject 15 minutes before starting breakfast to have *any* hope of not being high after. It's annoying!

I'd love to hear other peoples' advice on this!!

hmm I have tried the low carb thing before but I find I just end up starving, but maybe I'll try it again. I usually bolus about 25 minute prior to eating (any more and I go low), so I'm really at a loss for what to do. I'm curious what other people do to! 

I don't follow a low-carb diet except at breakfast. It's the only time I have major post-prandial problems...

dylan, maybe try a larger dose of long acting? It really depends on fasting blood sugars though, if those are fine then maybe you should adjust your insulin/carb ratio.

To answer your question, I shoot for 95.

[quote user="Greg Borkman"]

dylan, maybe try a larger dose of long acting? It really depends on fasting blood sugars though, if those are fine then maybe you should adjust your insulin/carb ratio.

[/quote]

Wait... you peak at 95, or you end up at 95 after 2 hours?  I think I misunderstood the original question.

Dylan, I just checked my meter and my 2 hour post meal average is 126.

[quote user="Kim"]

[quote user="Greg Borkman"]

[/quote]

Wait... you peak at 95, or you end up at 95 after 2 hours?  I think I misunderstood the original question.

[/quote]

two hours after thats where i want to be but right after i'd like to be there too

Ok I dont get this at all. How do not drop low all the time trying to stay at 95? Or any of those low numbers? Do you eat every 2 hours? Riley will eat breakfast  6:30-7:00 a.m. here she will be around lets say 120 at 1-1.5 hours later 8:00 a.m. she is up in the high 300's by lunch time at school 12:20 she can be from 170-230's typically. I obviously do not want her numbers that high but I dont see how keeping them as low as some of you could work for her.

[quote user="Jessica "]

Ok I dont get this at all. How do not drop low all the time trying to stay at 95? Or any of those low numbers? Do you eat every 2 hours? Riley will eat breakfast  6:30-7:00 a.m. here she will be around lets say 120 at 1-1.5 hours later 8:00 a.m. she is up in the high 300's by lunch time at school 12:20 she can be from 170-230's typically. I obviously do not want her numbers that high but I dont see how keeping them as low as some of you could work for her.

[/quote]

I have my basal rate and carb ratio perfected that I'll eat something and I'll be able to do a pretty good job at keeping it level, the only issue is human error which I make often enough that I do see the 200s and 300s on occasion.

My problem is that the same meal never reacts the same way twice, not even close.  So hopw do you bolus for that!  is it any wonder that I can't seem to get any type of decent control.

This is just a hypothesis, but I think it may be harder to women to "perfect" things with the hormonal changes each month.

But, I've also never heard of anyone having a perfect basal and bolus ratio that doesn't change frequently. There are too many variables.

(Not that I don't trust you Greg, I've just never heard of it!)