High school football( guys team, yaya Ive heard it before) And the pump

So I dont know if i should take off the pump during games and practice, or just leave it if for the season.
I play on line, (yes only female on the team) which means I take a lot of hits.
Can some one shed some light on my situation please?

That’s a tough one. I would think if you have a leg/thigh strap, and you have your infusion sight possibly in a low impact area, maybe thigh as well, it would be ok. I wear mine in the abs/obliques, and when I play basketball and other minimal contact sports, the CGM and infusion contact sight get irritated real fast. So with direct hits, it would probably be too much. Fund a good spot and you should be fine. Good luck

Thanks I shall try that.

My daughter plays travel volleyball. We put her pump up in the back of her sports bra. This way when she dives on the floor the pump is out of the way and she can run a temp basal during games and practice. When she played basketball she wore a polypropylene band to protect her sites from the other players.

@FredTheMedicalNerd

Interesting inquiry. Football’s my life and I used to play, although when I did, I was not on a pump.

I was blown away a few years ago when I heard about John Chick (from the Saskatchewan Roughriders of the CFL—don’t worry, I don’t follow CFL as much as I do NFL, just heard about him) who is diabetic, plays D-Line and wears his insulin pump DURING THE GAME.

Here is an article on him that talks a little bit about it. He mentions that it doesn’t get ripped off a lot during games.

On a side not, I play ball hockey and I often leave my pump on with sticks flying everywhere and some shoving here and there, I’ve never had an issue.

Good luck and definitely let us know how it goes!!

He also has a site with a video:

http://www.johnchick97.com/diabetes-management.html

Hay,waz up guys! I was diagnosed last month. Im learning a lot but still got aways to go. Can i get some advise on how to adapt this lifestyle to basketball,track,and football?

My son played all 4 years of high school football and he wore his pump for every game. He just hooked it into his waistband of his football pants facing towards his body. He had his site ripped out only twice during that time. We found this allowed him much better control of his BG during the game.

He also wrestled and played baseball. He wore it during wrestling practice, but of course took it off for the matches. It was more common to get it ripped out during practice, but not as much as you would think (maybe 12 times in 4 years). He wears it during baseball games/practice as well. For him, wearing his pump gave him better control over taking it off. When he tried taking it off for games his BGs were all over the place like a roller coaster.