High blood sugar problems

When I was diagnosed my blood sugar was 280 at the most, now I'm phasing out of my honeymoon and Sunday night I had a blood sugar of 406. This has been going on for about a month now and I'm desperately trying to get an appointment right away, when I called to make my appt. they told me that I'd have to wait a couple months, which obviously isn't possible, I'm about to email my doctor because she always fits me in her schedule when I need her.

Just complaining, this is the most difficult part though, finding a new basal rate...

This is so wrong it isn't funny. But you can do this. You need to pick up a work book. like one of the medtronic workbooks. if not call up the company and ask for one. Also try Think Like a Pancreas by Gary Scheiner. I'd highly recommend it. In a week or two you can get your sugars lower and feel better pretty quick.

This new basal rate thing will happen quite a bit in life =) learning to do ityourself is important.

I don't record because I can hook my meter and pump up to the computer and send it directly to my doctor. I was told never to change my basal rate myself.

[quote user="Courtney"]

When I was diagnosed my blood sugar was 280 at the most, now I'm phasing out of my honeymoon and Sunday night I had a blood sugar of 406. This has been going on for about a month now and I'm desperately trying to get an appointment right away, when I called to make my appt. they told me that I'd have to wait a couple months, which obviously isn't possible, I'm about to email my doctor because she always fits me in her schedule when I need her.

Just complaining, this is the most difficult part though, finding a new basal rate...

[/quote]

Try increasing your basal rate by 20% in the 2 hours before your high blood sugars usually occur.

If you share your current basal rates and insulin to carb ratio i could help you further :)

also it could be the winter weather, my blood sugar tends to go higher and i need a larger basal rate during the winter months because im not as active.

You can't call in with a few days of records (can't you see those on the computer?) and have a CDE in the clinic help you change your rate? Maybe it is different because we are at a Children's clinic, but that is what they have the CDEs there for.  We were also trained on changing doses for shots based on examining our own records, I know they will be redoing that training for the pump when we start that in 16 days.

I don't go through the CDEs because I am very close with my endo. I emailed her today and I'm going to see her next Thursday, I've been seeing her since I was about 7, she's also my dad's endo and her husband works with my mom. So it's a lot easier just to go see her, the CDEs at Johns Hopkins are way too hard to get in touch with, and aren't very helpful.

I told her that I assume that my honeymoon is over, which she said based on my blood sugars that's probably what's going on. My rate is perfect throughout the night so we should only be changing my basal rate for the time that I am awake. My insulin to carb ration is 1:30 right now which was 1:15 before my honeymoon which she said might be what we will go back to. But the OneTouch Ping graphs all your blood sugars for you and so she wants to take a closer look at that when i go to see her.

i have a 1:15 ratio all day after 10:30am

talk to her about morning ratios being different than the rest of the day.