Helping with hypoglycemia

Hi all,

I’m new here and in search of support as a partner to someone with T1D. I also, separately, suffer from PTSD and anxiety. I need an outlet for discussing my fears and pain but don’t want to burden my partner who is already dealing with the condition. If anyone has advice on managing the stress and coping with the constant anxiety about things going awry, I’d greatly appreciate it!

Also, when my partner goes low, they become somewhat irrational (understandably, given what it is). Does anyone have experience with helping people in that state relax, sit down (so they don’t fall/get injured), and ingest sugar quickly?

I know I just through a lot out there and am so so grateful to anyone willing to share thoughts and experiences!

1 Like

Hi @PumpkinFairy9 (love your name BTW😊) and welcome to the forum. Does your partner use a continuous glucose monitor? Ideally it’s best to head these things off before they get to the point where the person becomes irrational or combative, and a CGM can help you both keep an eye on the numbers. You didn’t indicate if your partner uses a pump - you’ll hear of them used together but they work independently as well. It’s also helpful to go “old school” and learn to recognize the body’s signals: lack of concentration, blurry vision and lack of coordination are a few notable ones but you probably have guidelines and will learn what to recognize.
Liquids raise glucose faster than solid foods so juice is a popular option, but they don’t stick with you long so follow up with a snack - cheese- or peanut butter and crackers work well.
If your partner isn’t able to take in anything there are Glucagon emergency kits, and an inhaled product called Baqsimi that might be easier to administer.
Prevention is best but things happen, so acting quickly is the next best thing. If lows (or highs for that matter) happen around the same time each day or regularly after eating, it would be good to review basal rates and carb ratios (or sliding scale doses in the case of injections) with your doctor.
Since you’re relatively new to diabetes you might want to read Think Like a Pancreas by Gary Scheiner. He has Type1 and is a diabetes educator so he has a unique perspective - and the book is a fun read!
All the best to you both.

3 Likes

Hello PumpkinFairy9, and welcome to the forum. Being a partner of a T1D can be trying for sure, my wife can testify to that. If your partner is stubborn and trys to deal with issues on their own it can make it more difficult for you when dealing with the consequenses. As Dorie has mentioned a CGM is a great way to prevent things from becoming harder to deal with. Luckily I don’t get violent or severely angry when my BGL’s go low and never have, but my late T1D neighbor had severe PTSD from being a Vietnam vet and I was one of the few that could help him when he experinced low BGL’s, he once caused a paramedic to end up in a garden tub when trying to treat one of his low BGL’s. Your partners care is their responsibility, but it always falls back on the person closest to them when the everyday T1D battles cause irratic BGL’s and that can take a toll on relationships and can cause alot of stress. Sugar drinks like minute maid and fanta sodas have alot of sugar that can give rapid corrections to lows. Also chocolate milk will help. Glucerna and boost protein drinks for BGL’s don’t cause radical spikes and can help stabilize BGL’s longer term. However not knowing y’alls insurance and your partners attitude towards things, a CGM can become the best way to mend a stressed relationship due to BGL problems, just sayin’. In closing I will give advise to do one thing, discuss things together and be open to say what your concerns are and tell your partner that you want to work together to keep them and your relationship healthy. Be sure to listen to them and don’t insist on overtreating low BGL’s when possible.

2 Likes

To tack onto what Bill said about CGMs - the major players in the market are Dexcom and Freestyle Libre. Dexcom has lots of bells and whistles that work in conjunction with a pump so it’s the more expensive of the two (again, it does work independently if your partner takes shots) - of interest here are the alerts. Freestyle brand is a basic CGM - their Freestyle2 has alerts that will sound at numbers you designate for highs and lows, and may be better in your budget depending on your insurance.
If you’re interested in looking into CGMs or pumps, your doctor will put you in contact with a rep who can help you find an equipment supplier. The rep will work with them to coordinate your insurance. I mention that because sometimes people try to figure out the insurance on their own and it’s not as simple as you might think.
Sorry I’m getting a little off topic - just sharing some tips.

2 Likes

Thank you all for the warm welcome and great advice! I appreciate it :slight_smile:

1 Like

I unfortunately have had some bad experiences with hypoglycemia. Rolled a car over once, been handcuffed because police arrived before ambulance. One of the best things to help with this is a CGM. Even though they can be annoying they give you some notice. If the person passes out or is unresponsive the glucagon is a good option otherwise try to talk them into having some carbs candy, sweets or juice. I realize that can be an uphill battle. At one point I was so worried about running high that I would become combative if anyone tried to convince me to eat carbs. They now make a nasal inhaler for glucagon which is so much easier than the old school injectable. look into Baqsimi. I don’t think my wife could inject me with the glucagon, but I am confidant she could use the Baqsimi. I have a box of this in a central part of my house. I even have a box on top of my file cabinet at work. ( a few coworkers know about it)