Going out on the beach with my pump

OK so I love to go lay out on the beach when we go. I usually wear my pump out there then take it off when I'm gonna get in the water. I'm really self concious so I always feel like people are staring at me. When I go on a walk with my pump on I feel like people are pointing at me and laughing. They also talk about it. I mean I can hear them. It makes me feel so bad. It also makes me mad because people just don't understand. Yeah they can laugh all they want but it makes you feel bad. It's kind of like they're putting you down in their own little way. Has anyone else experienced this???? I really want to know because I feel like I'm the only one.

Hi Brittany,

Your question comes at the best of times for me!  I have only been pumping for about seven months now.  I will be going to the beach next week, for the first time since I started with my pump.  You describe exactly what my biggest fear is right now; I also am not 100% comfortable just yet with showing the pump to everyone around me.  This experience is going to be a first for me! 

I tend to rotate my sites through my abdomen, one side then the other, then I go to my thighs, one side then the other.  Just yesterday, I was trying to figure out where my site is going to be located next week when I'll be in my bathing suit.  If I continue on the rotation that I currently use, I will be "due" to use my right thigh.  We'll see, however, when it comes the time to change my site if I have the courage to use that spot or if I turtle and just switch to another spot in my abdomen!  Only time will tell!

I just bought a tankini bathing suit to be able to wear my pump more easily - and maybe hide it a bit more.  Also, my Animas 2020 is waterproof, so I really want to try swimming with it!

Hey! To feel less self-conscious I put my site in my butt, and no one ever notices it there. It's better than having it in your stomach because people kind of stare at you. It definitely happens to me too, although I wear a surf shirt and board shorts so it's usually not too big an issue. You just have to remember that going to the beach is totally worth feeling a little self-conscious! =)

I'll be going to the beach the week after next so I think I might try putting my site on my butt. I also might try putting it on my thighs. I always rotate it from one side of my stomache to the other. My stomache looks like a pin cushion and also where my site is there is always a white spot. I just kind of ignore all of the people staring at me (or at least I try to). IT's just hard not to notice all the people looking. My dad always tells me not to worry about how I look because you can really see some sights out there. lol.

Hey Brittany,

I was just at the beach yesterday, I am also on the pump and when people look I just explain to them that I'm type 1 diabetic and that it's an insulin pump and explain what  it does. They don't ask anymore questions. When you go for a walk or something try putting it in your jeans pocket or wear a long shirt that covers your sides. I really don't mind people asking but it's rude that people laugh at you for something that you have to have to wear 24/7. All you have to do it just ignore those types of people they aren't worth your time. Those type of people don't know how difficult it is living with diabetes

Hey Heather,

I might try that too. Your so right they shouldn't laugh because they truly don't know what it's like. If they had diabetes and people were laughing at them it would make them feel bad too. I'm just not gonna pay attention to them because they really aren't worth my time. I don't really mind when people come up to me and ask me what it is. I mean that's fine. It just makes me mad when people are just guessing what it is. If they had it they wouldn't be making fun of people like us.

~Brittany~

ok so today i went and layed out at my country club and i was wearing a bikini and i had the same problem!!! i layed out for like a hour and i had my eyes closed but i kno that tons of people walked by and stared. one person actually came up to me and asked wat my pump site was i wasnt offended to answer and i was actually glad they came up to me instead of the other people who walked by and just made assumptions but seriously dont let it get to you they are uneducated and mayb thats they way it should be but im just laughing at this horrible site tan i have!!!

Haha! I always have a round white spot where my site has been. I also hate it when people just make assumptions about what my site is. I guess I shouldn't get all embarrased about it. I mean i'm not proud to have diabetes but it makes me feel good when people come up to me and I tell them and they are all like "You must be very brave" and everything. I'm not really brave or anything i'm just not afraid of needles like alot of people are. lol.

~Brittany~

Just out of curiousity, what are the "assumptions" that people make when they see your site?

Like there are tons of them. I had this one girl come up to me and they were like "Oh I'm so sorry you have cancer"! I was like what???? 

Ha!  I guess diabetes is the lesser of two evils in a case like that one!

Yeah! That proves right there that there is alot of really undeucated people! I mean really really uneducated.

~Brittany~

By the way, as an update to my post about deciding where to put my infusion site when it comes time to go to the beach, I made a resolution to myself yesterday that I am going to "stick" (excuse the pun!) with my current rotation for sites.  That means that my site will be in plain view for everyone to see.  (Not that many people stare at a slightly overweight 40-year-old anyway! LOL).  I think the hardest thing to deal with is when I know people are staring but they are too shy to ask about it.  I don't mind educating people about diabetes, insulin and the pump, but I also don't wasnt to wear a sign that begs:  "PLEASE!!!  ASK ME!!!" 

I know what you mean. Just go out on the beach with your head held high and don't really pay attention to the people that are staring. My mom says they are staring because they are jelous of my good looks. lol! So just think about that when you go out there.

Ha, ha!  Good for your mom!

She always comes up with some good stuff. Sometimes it can be kind of stupid though but she is always trying to cheer me up.

well you should tell yourself that you are brave cause everyone is brave in their own way. I'm brave for Bungee jumping and I hate heights. 

I could never do that. I'm terrified of heights also. I like to have my feet planted firmly on the ground! lol. I guess I'm brave for getting up on stage to play in band. I always have to sit on the first row. I play the flute.

[quote user="Brittany "]

I'll be going to the beach the week after next so I think I might try putting my site on my butt. I also might try putting it on my thighs. I always rotate it from one side of my stomache to the other. My stomache looks like a pin cushion and also where my site is there is always a white spot. I just kind of ignore all of the people staring at me (or at least I try to). IT's just hard not to notice all the people looking. My dad always tells me not to worry about how I look because you can really see some sights out there. lol.

[/quote]

Honestly you probably notice the tiny marks on your stomach a lot more than other people will. They'll be concerned/thinking about other stuff. You always notice your imperfections to a higher degree than others do. Don't let it get to you!

I know! I try not to let it get to me but.... It still does. I guess it's just because I'm self-concious.