Frustrated

Hi everyone,

I wrote a blog post on my personal blog and just wanted you guys to read it. You can leave a comment there or here. I could use the support. http://diabetestalkfest.com/blog/?p=269

Thanks,

G

{{Gina}} -- how frustrating!! How can you "fix" this if you're already doing everything you can? Are you telling me you're working full time AND running all these websites? How do you have time to do it all?

Can I ask a stupid question? If your BG's look good, but your a1c is higher, are your meter and CMG working/accurate? I'm sure they are, but I thought I'd ask.

Even though I went through my pregnancy down in DC, before TTC, I did a pre-pregnancy consult up at Joslin in Boston b/c of all their experience. The endo I saw said not all endos agree (and she'd prefer me to be under 6.5 when TTC), but that she'd be okay with under 7 to TTC. I think I was 6.8 or something at the time. My endo here in DC actually agreed w/ her advice. Once you are pregnant, your a1c will drop like crazy in the 1st trimester anyways b/c most T1's fight so many lows at that time. That probably doesn't help, but maybe it's a more manageable goal?

I wish I had better advice, but hang in there! It will happen eventually! It's important to you, so I'm glad you're not giving up!! Please keep us updated...

I spend so much time worrying about my a1c. Is my a1c good enough to keep me healthy? To have a child? To be there for my child as he or she grows up? I'm only 19, but at some point in the future I would really like to be a mother. I have been struggling with my a1c for a while and feels like that life joy was slowly being taken away from me. My story is somewhat like yours- it feels that no matter how much I try and follow what I am supposed to do, I just can't get my a1c down. About 7 months ago I started using symlin which dropped my a1c 1.2 (YAY!) Its definitely not for everyone, but it has jumpstarted my way to getting a more healthy a1c. The bottom line is that I can really sympathize with your situation and you have all my support. Good luck with everything and I have all the confidence in the world that with all your persistance and hard work you will reach your goal and have a wonderfully healthy baby. (Hopefully the same will be true for me at some point in the future.)

Good Luck!

Oh Gina, I don't have much advice because it sounds like you are trying your absolute hardest and it's just not showing in your A1C.  Please keep us updated and know that we have a ton of admiration for you for being able to maintain all your websites, work another job, and manage your diabetes so diligently.  You are AWESOME and I know you will get your A1C down some way or another.  Good luck! 

[quote user="Sarah"]

{{Gina}} -- how frustrating!! How can you "fix" this if you're already doing everything you can? Are you telling me you're working full time AND running all these websites? How do you have time to do it all?

Can I ask a stupid question? If your BG's look good, but your a1c is higher, are your meter and CMG working/accurate? I'm sure they are, but I thought I'd ask.

[/quote]

Sarah,

Yea I am working and doing all of these websites haha! I don't know how I do it to be honest.I love it though!

What does TTC mean? I get so many different people telling me all these different goals for pregnancy. Right now my goal is to just get under 7. I have no problem trying under 7. But right now there is no way because it is just too high. I am not really sure what happened in 3 months. I am not really at a high stressed job but, I tend to stress out about everything because I am a perfectionist and a bit of OCD too. I have no control over that part of me either. I have heard that the first trimester that women are sometimes under 6.0 for an a1c. Then they start spiking again in 3 and 4.

I think something is off, trying to get it all fixed. We shall see by the next a1c I suppose. I am trying even harder this time if that is possible. I just hope that I go down and not up!

Definitely will let you all know the progress! Thank you all so much for your words of encouragement it means the world to me!

Gina

[quote user="Ariana"]

I spend so much time worrying about my a1c. Is my a1c good enough to keep me healthy? To have a child? To be there for my child as he or she grows up? I'm only 19, but at some point in the future I would really like to be a mother. I have been struggling with my a1c for a while and feels like that life joy was slowly being taken away from me. My story is somewhat like yours- it feels that no matter how much I try and follow what I am supposed to do, I just can't get my a1c down. About 7 months ago I started using symlin which dropped my a1c 1.2 (YAY!) Its definitely not for everyone, but it has jumpstarted my way to getting a more healthy a1c. The bottom line is that I can really sympathize with your situation and you have all my support. Good luck with everything and I have all the confidence in the world that with all your persistance and hard work you will reach your goal and have a wonderfully healthy baby. (Hopefully the same will be true for me at some point in the future.)

Good Luck!

[/quote]

Ariana,

Thank you so much! I have been thinking about symlin for a while. I even asked my doctor once and he didn't think I needed it. I do because i feel like that is when I am most screwed up, after a meal. I am gonna ask again. Will let you know what happens.

[quote user="Katie"]

Oh Gina, I don't have much advice because it sounds like you are trying your absolute hardest and it's just not showing in your A1C.  Please keep us updated and know that we have a ton of admiration for you for being able to maintain all your websites, work another job, and manage your diabetes so diligently.  You are AWESOME and I know you will get your A1C down some way or another.  Good luck! 

[/quote]

Katie,

You are so sweet! Thanks I appreciate it.

[quote user="Gina"]

What does TTC mean? I get so many different people telling me all these different goals for pregnancy. Right now my goal is to just get under 7. I have no problem trying under 7. But right now there is no way because it is just too high. I am not really sure what happened in 3 months. I am not really at a high stressed job but, I tend to stress out about everything because I am a perfectionist and a bit of OCD too. I have no control over that part of me either. I have heard that the first trimester that women are sometimes under 6.0 for an a1c. Then they start spiking again in 3 and 4.

[/quote]

TTC = trying to conceive. (Can you tell I spent too much time online when trying to do it? lol)

I'm such a perfectionist too! I think it comes with being a female w/ T1, although I'm sure there are those of you out there that aren't. But, I'm sure my random stressing over things spikes my BG and I don't even know it!

This is what irritates me about T1 -- you can do BEYOND everything right, and sometimes it doesn't do what it should, despite the "experts" telling you it should. I'll keep my fingers crossed that your next a1c is a GOOD surprise!

Sarah,

Because of people like you, I keep on keepin' on! Thanks so much!

[quote user="Gina"]

Hi everyone,

I wrote a blog post on my personal blog and just wanted you guys to read it. You can leave a comment there or here. I could use the support. http://diabetestalkfest.com/blog/?p=269

Thanks,

G

[/quote]

I have faith you'll get there!!! Soon we'll be seeing pictures of baby Capone>>>>>>>>>>>>To the future and beyond!!!!!

Keith,

hahahaha that made me laugh. Especially since it wont be a capone LOL I didn't change my name shhhh that is our secret

[quote user="Gina"]

Keith,

hahahaha that made me laugh. Especially since it wont be a capone LOL I didn't change my name shhhh that is our secret

[/quote]

OK how about baby Capone/????. I guess we can give the hubby a little credit. LOL

Sending Hugs- and best wishes for your pregnancy( with your determination I am sure you will get there soon)!  By all you are accomplishing now and all that you have worked through I know you will make a fantastic mom!

Kcbscrapper,

thank you so much! I hope so!!

We could call her Little Miss Juvenation :) Well....Why not a baby girl first ,ha.Best wishes sent your way Gina :)

Hang in there Gina, it will all be worth it!!

My A1c was 7.5 when I started TTCing (yes, I know what TTC means).  By the time I was pregnant (2 years + 1 surgery later) it was 7.2.  By the time I delivered, it was 5.3.  Speak to your doctor again about your options for when to TTC. It would seem that some docs say go-ahead at a higher number than others.  Personally, I'm glad I got the go-ahead at 7.5 because it took 2 years to get pregnant due to unforseen fertility issues.  My son was born perfectly healthy and only 8lbs, 1oz.

Like I mentioned, I got my A1c down to 5.3. Here's how:

- check your BG ever 1-2 hours

- never eat if your sugar is over 7.0 (aka  125)

- take your bolus 30 min before you eat (this was my doc's direction when I was preggo)

- if any meal spikes your numbers more than 2.8 (aka 50), then you need take more insulin to cover your carbs

- make your motto: "check and correct. check and correct. check and correct" all day long

Good luck!!!  And your blog is really good.