Folic Acid?

Did anyone else's Obgyn put them on an absurd amount of Folic Acid (4grams) in addition to their prenatal vitamins? I'm worried it could be too much! I'm 8 weeks with my first and not quite sure who to trust.

That's what I took! It's best to start at least 3 months prior to conception if possible. The neural tube closes by weeks 6 of pregnancy, and folic acid reduces the risk for spina bifida and other neural tube defects, which diabetics have a higher risk for than the general population (although if you have good BG control, it shouldn't really be increased, but folic acid is still recommended). I have a healthy 6 week old girl :) I cut back to my prenatal vitamin and 1gram of extra folic acid at 12 weeks gestation during my pregnancy.

I hope that you both mean 4 mg of folic acid rather than 4 grams...   I started taking 5mg before getting pregnant and have taken 5mg throughout pregnancy.  But... if you are meaning 4 grams... I think that is an absurd amount and I'm not sure how you would even take that much.  Ask your OB again because that would be crazy!!  

1000 mcg’s= 1 gram, and yes I mean 4 grams. It took me forever to find 1000mcg tablets. And the pharmacist thought I was crazy, but I trusted my Doctor and am glad I started three months prior to pregnancy. Thanks for the feedback ladies!

I misspoke before. I took 4mg (milligrams) not grams (4 grams would be A LOT).

1000mcg (micrograms)= 1mg (milligram).