Fear of Needles

[quote user="SmilingKate"]

Thanks Lauren- that does help.  I can definitely relate- I was hyperventillating when they tested my blood (2 weeks ago?).  I also want to work with medicine- I dream of becoming a doctor someday, which, again, is a strange goal for someone afraid of needles.  I'll just have to face the fact that I'm going to have to deal with this disease someday- it might as well be now, right?

Courtney- I have a Mini Med pump- I love it except for the needles that come with it.  It does have an automatic inserter- all I have to do is put in the tubing & press two buttons on the sides- what messes me up is probably primarily the anticipation and getting used to the fact that there's a needle inside me afterwards.

Thanks for the advice everyone- it really helps!

[/quote]

I used to really be afraid of the anticipation of pain when I was on daily shots. The way I got used to doing it was having one of my parents give me my shot so I didn't know when it was coming and then once I realized it doesn't hurt that bad I did it on my own. I guess there's really no way to really get over that fear except to just do it, I mean we would all rather live haha

yea   i use to be really good w controling my diabetes but the past 3 years i have had a hard time testing and taking insulin on time.  what i found works best is i have these charts and  i write my bloodsugar down what i ate how2 many carbs and how much insulin i took for the meal and how much insulin i took for corection if needed it helps you figure out the right amount of insulin  and allows you to beter control your diet. also  i carry around this small book called. the callorie king (calorie fat and carb counter)   its a small book w about every food, restraunt or fast foods nutritional chart like how many carbs are in diffrent foods  with out it id be lost.   it makes figuring out how much insulin inshould take sooooo easy!  because if you dont know how much carbs are in your meals then you can realy control your bloodsugars.  best of luck let me know how u r keeping track of you carbs in your meals....