Dr. Bernstein Low Carb Diet

I have been a Type 1 for 52 years and have recently been reading and trying to follow the Bernstein Low Carb Diet. I find that my blood sugars are basically a flat line when following his diet. But in the odd time, like today, when I had to eat at a fast food restaurant, (hot dog in roll and a few of my husbands fries) I pay the price. Have to also say, I have lost about 6 pounds. Not a bad perk! I have found that the planning, I have to take Novolog at least an hour before carbs to have a stable bs outcome, it is daunting! See what works for you! Would love to hear your results! Good luck!

I have been on his diet for many years. It is difficult but the only way to keep my blood sugars low. You are right, one French frie can wreck it but we are allowed a little fun sometimes. We can’t be good all the time.

High fat foods prolong the absorption time of the carbs, so you end up with carbs entering the bloodstream 4-6 hours down the line. For this situation, if you have an insulin pump, you can raise the basal rate for 3-4 hours. Otherwise, you will have to take another shot or bolus to bring down your high BG. I have been using a Low Carb diet from even before Dr. Bernstein’s book came out 20 years ago.

I’m so confused. I am on a pump. I have read a lot of posts about raising/lowering basal rate, bolus, etc… How does someone learn how to do this? All I know is check my BS and put in my carbs that I will be eating with that and tap deliver. (and other basic things)

There is a setting on your insulin pump that allows you to set a temporary basal rate. For example: My blood sugar spikes after I workout so I will set a temporary basal for 1-2 hours after I leave the gym that gives me an extra 10% on top of my normal basal to keep me from spiking as bad. It really is a trial and error type of thing. You can also go the other direction - if you notice your blood sugar goes down while working out you can set a temporary basal for your workout and tell it to only give you 50% of your normal basal for the next hour… (just guessing at that 50% and using working out as an example because that is the only time I utilize this setting). I have the 630G and you can find this under insulin settings-preset temp setup.

1 Like

Really well worded Regan @ReganAlexandra. for my 75 minute afternoon gym workout I set my pump at 50% beginning 1 hour before I begin and have it stay at 50% for 3 1/2 hours. For my bike rides I put my pump to 30% beginning an hour before and then monitor frequently for the several hours after finishing because, depending on how strenuous, I may need to add or subtract insulin flow.

@sbrad4226, I think it is very important for you to study ALL your pump settings and all the menus. If you have had T1D for more than a year or two you should be working collaboratively with your Doctor / Care Team in establishing your basal rates and bolus ratios, etc. and not just accepting - remember that you are the principal member of your diabetes management team. Although I am not a medical doctor, I will freely offer you tips I’ve gained over the past 60 years while I’ve lived proactively with diabetes.

1 Like

The pump manufacture should have a help line that will help guide you through what to do. They should not however advise you on what changes to make.