Does Diabetes make you stronger mentally?

I got a lot of good responses on the "I hate diabetes (type 1)" page on facebook, what do you think? Does Diabetes make you stronger mentally? Here are some of the responses from the page:

Shannon Peterson wrote:

this is a quote from my FB info page that is incredibly appropriate for my daughter, as well as anyone else, who has type 1... 

Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will. 
-Mahatma Gandhi
Lois Moga Marygold wrote: 
It does indeed make us stronger. Anyone who has a debilitating disease has 2 ways to deal. Either give up and die or get strong and fight to live the best you can!
Manuel Martins wrote:
Without a doubt it makes you stronger...as long as you are coping with it. I mean if you are not mentally strong you are going to have serious issues. But once you pass over that boundary when you can cope with your issues and overcome them, then every day you live that doesn't kill you MOST DEF makes you stronger.

in my own experience, i would say no. i had a complete and total breakdown about 4 years ago, 16 years after diagnosis. that would have been plenty of time for me to gain mental strength, but i just didn't have it. i'm also definitely not saying diabetes took my strength away... it just didn't give me any either :o)

I was going to say the same thing, C!

Nietzsche did say whatever doesn't kill you only makes you stronger, but then again he died in an insane asylum.  Diabetes is actually associated with lower memory functioning in several studies, so I doubt it gives any mental boost.

I think that diabetes can make a person stronger.  It depends on a lot of things though, such as the situation, how you control you're diabetes and how well it is controlled, and also how long you've had it and what percentage of your life that is.  I have definitely had a breakdown or two in the past twenty years, but as I look back on those breakdowns, they have helped me get stronger for today.  I feel too though, that if you have any long-term disease, it has the capability to make it stronger, if you look at it that way. 

[quote user="Broc"]

I think that diabetes can make a person stronger.  It depends on a lot of things though, such as the situation, how you control you're diabetes and how well it is controlled, and also how long you've had it and what percentage of your life that is.  I have definitely had a breakdown or two in the past twenty years, but as I look back on those breakdowns, they have helped me get stronger for today.  I feel too though, that if you have any long-term disease, it has the capability to make it stronger, if you look at it that way. 

[/quote]

I completely agree

I don't know if I'd say it makes you mentally stronger, but it sure has made me appreciate the little things much more :)

[quote user="Lindsay"]

I don't know if I'd say it makes you mentally stronger, but it sure has made me appreciate the little things much more :)

[/quote]

I agree, I def do think one thing D does is make me appreciate things more... unlike maybe someone who is perfectly healthy we learn quick we arent invincable... as for being stronger me personally, I think its made me stronger.. not many 6 year old i know were giving themselves insulin and going through the trials and tribulations ive gone through, having a disease... when i look back over times i didnt take care of myself, periods of time i wish i didnt have it, periods of time i was thankful, proud.. whatever  in the end looking back at my 23 years with it i think im a stronger person.

I'm not so sure if it makes you mentally stronger, for me i'm still really unsure about myself with diabetes even though i've had it for half my life, i doubt my capabilities to keep myself living a long and healthy life with this burden and i get really down about it all. But i think it really matures people... a majority of us are diagnosed at a young age... how many regular 9 year olds do you see with the maturity to inject themselves and forward plan things like snacks, meters and finger prickers?

I think dealing with any chronic disease can make you stronger.  I think with my own dealings of day to day life with diabetes has made me more aware and compassionate of other people's challenges.  I do believe that it has made me stronger mentally, the amount of information and self-awareness on a day to day level that my mind is constantly processing while doing normal functions, like holding a job down, and functioning socially.  This isn't to say that I do not need time to break down and give a good cry or why me session every now and then, I think that is normal coping, and helps me flush my feelings, and keep moving forward. 

And I do want to address the idea of memory loss and diabetes, while I was contemplating that for awhile, I am not sure that I accept that.  Again, think about how much you process as a diabetic all the time.  Example: while some people pack to go on a hike, I think of every possibly scenario that could come up with the betes, and add that to my mental list and packing list, same even for a run to the store! Grab your betes gear and are ready for anything if you get stuck in traffic.  If anything diabetics excel at multi-tasking!  Which is exhausting, so if other stuff slips through the cracks every now and then- oh well!  Our brain prioritizes importance: first -diabetes care=survival, then the other stuff. 

And to those that do not feel mentally stronger- I think you are!  Dealing with diabetes isn't easy!  It is a real challenge both mentally and physically.  Give yourself more credit- you deserve it! 

I think I had a breakdown also around the 16 year mark.  When I was in college I had undiagnosed depression and insomnia, not fun.  Now, about 10 years later just started going to a therapist.

I really think it depends... 

sometimes I feel like it does.. like when I feel all my hard work is paying off and things are going my way. But, on the flip side, when things aren't it definitely is a bit of a blow. I think it's like carrying extra weight. Sure it makes you stronger, but you still have to carry more weight than everyone else. This might be why when I feel like things are going well (and I'm not carrying the weight so much), I do feel like it makes me stronger. 

On a slightly different but related note, I do think it's made me much more disciplined than I would be without it.  

I think it does...Sometimes i feel as though i view life from a different perspective than i would if i didn't have diabetes. I think its made me stronger because  I don't let the little things get me down, or become pessimistic, because i know there are more important, bigger problems out there...such as diabetes, or worse cancer.  I think diabetes has made me appreciate life more because we are faced with potential consequences daily. I'm more grateful now for the good days, and i think because of diabetes, we can separate trivial things from whats truly important. 

I feel as though because Diabetes is such a big responsibility, so its enabled me to be able to handle the other aspects of my life much easier. .