Discrimination

There is a lot buzz going on now about Judge Sotomayor being nominated by President Obama because she has type 1, hispanic and a woman. And lets not get into how the media is totally oblivious about type 1 diabetes.

A direct quote from a Time article:

"Without enough naturally produced insulin, Type 1 diabetes patients must rely on an artificial source; some patients wear insulin pumps, which are permanently inserted under the skin to deliver a dose of the hormone after each meal or snack, while others self-administer regular insulin injections to sustain normal levels throughout the day."

What a joke!

All these things should not be a factor but they are. My question is: Have any of you faced discrimination because you have type 1 diabetes?

I was only once.  I was a young 19 year old Lance Corporal drummer in the United States Marine Corps First Airwing Band in Iwakuni, Japan.  I was diagnosed with type I diabetes and quickly booted out.  I would like to have stayed.  I was in band for cryin' out loud.  But they say that every Marine is a rifleman first and must be able to be sent to combat.

Since then, no.

Gina,

I was discriminated against in middle school when I was tried out for cheerleading. They told my parents that it was too much of a "risk" to have a diabetic and travel...its funny though because I joined a dance crew and went to competitions all over and was just fine!

Discrimination.....let's see, well I could start with Health Insurance, need I say more?  How about Life Insurance..non-existent.  My last Internist "fired" me because I questioned him about a form he filled out pertaining to additional Medical Insurance.  Long story, but he was not kind to me about my diabetes, always fussed at me as if I wanted to have diabetes.  I actually liked him though, thought he was a good physician.  He was my internest for nine years and I could not believe it when he said "I think you need to find another doctor."  I was in tears!  I truly believe, as others do who know the whole story, feel that he released me due to liability.  My Endocrinologist even said that he must have been worried about a lawsuit.  I never threatened him with anything, we even discussed at one time how my health and Diabetes was up to me and how I do the best I can.  He deeply disappointed me and I felt abandoned.  That is how I feel discriminated against, it is unfortunate, but I don't harp on it and just have to "let it go".

Hi. Just wanted to comment on your experience of being kicked out of the marines.  I've got to say that even though I'm a T1, I've got to agree with the Marine's policy.  I'd hardly say that's a case of discrimination though, and I hope you don't consider it as that either.   I think that any job that couldn't be performed properly, because of a medical problem, it's realistic to expect the employer (in this case, the government), to not hire someone with said problem.  God forbid you were in combat and had a low BG episode...which we all have from time to time.  And yeah, I realize you were a drummer, and not in combat, but like they say, there's always that possibility.  So to boil it all down...don't look at that as discrimination, look at that as being realistic.  There's so few things that we can't do these days...let's celebrate that instead!

Gina,

What can we do about this article? Its so very unethical and hurtful!

My boyfriend is a police officer and when he applied he had to do a medical test of course.. on the form he had to fill out etc, it said you cannot be a police officer if you have Type 1 diabetes.  I was hurt at first but then realized that..

1. I would never apply to be a cop knowing that my diabetes would affect my performance.  We aren't perfect and ALL of us have lows, like it or not.  we cannot lie to ourselves and garantee a perfect performance all the time.  Although everyone has bad days.. I wouldn't want to start talking about whatever I talk about when I have a low when I'm arresting someone.

2. I would make a terrible cop to begin with. hehe

Bottom line is.. Like Kristen said - they have to put regulations that make sense!

I've only really been discriminated by an ex-boyfriend.  After we broke up we talked about the reasons we had broken up and he listed one as being - I didn't like when you tested and took your insulin publicly.

I was so hurt... good thing we broke up 'cause WHAT A *****.

Alayna,

YOu can contact the person who wrote the article.

What do I Know about the Marine Corps? Nothing much-But if I could say anything about this,it would be I'm in perfect agreement with you.Why can't there be a way for you to serve in other ways besides the battlefeild? And if you look on dlife,I know I watched a video that shows a guy that is in the army.He is shown wearing a pump in Irack. He wanted to show how diabetes was not going to hold him back. Go watch it. If you can't find,I'll look for you.And thank you for serving.

[quote user="Kristen"]

Hi. Just wanted to comment on your experience of being kicked out of the marines.  I've got to say that even though I'm a T1, I've got to agree with the Marine's policy.  I'd hardly say that's a case of discrimination though, and I hope you don't consider it as that either.   I think that any job that couldn't be performed properly, because of a medical problem, it's realistic to expect the employer (in this case, the government), to not hire someone with said problem.  God forbid you were in combat and had a low BG episode...which we all have from time to time.  And yeah, I realize you were a drummer, and not in combat, but like they say, there's always that possibility.  So to boil it all down...don't look at that as discrimination, look at that as being realistic.  There's so few things that we can't do these days...let's celebrate that instead!

[/quote]

Actually I agree with you!  It was disappointing to me at the time, but I'm so far past that now!  I saw the post about the guy in Iraq.  If that's true, he's an idiot IMHO.  What if he get seperated from his group and has no food.  I wonder how many carbs are in ants?  Then he'd run out of supplies.  Not a good situation.

I agree that diabetics can do most things.  However I think we have no business being an airline pilot, bus driver, truck driver, cop, fireman, maybe a few others.  We can control it pretty well these days, but not one of us is 100%.

Well said!

WHAT? Im trying not to blow up here, but it's kind of hard as my eyes bug out of my head. What do you mean you wouldnt consider that discrimination!? The US government even says it is. If I apply for ANY job and they dont hire me baised soley on the fact that I have diabetes they have a HUGE lawsuit on thier hands baised on a federal LAW! Dont ask me why the government doesnt have to abide by their own laws.  And who is to say that diabetes restricts anyone from performing thier duties properly? So what if someone goes low in combat? Pop a lifesaver (or whatever) and keep killing. What if my myopic trenchmate loses his glasses and cant make out the american flag on my arm and shoots me in the face?  It is exactly that kind of thinking that keeps us from advancing in the fight against ignorance. The next argument for not hiring a diabetic will be "if your blood sugar gets too high your judgement could be impared." Thats good. Use that and no woman will ever work again baised on PMS.

BTW, I have been a truck driver, Vol Firefighter, Armed Security gaurd, Scuba Divemaster, as well as a lot of things. I was good at all of those and better than a LOT of non diabetics. DONT TELL ME WHAT I HAVE NO BUSINESS DOING!

Tensions are getting a little bit high in here. Scott I understand your frustration completely understand what you are saying, and  hope that we can all agree to disagree on this one.  ;)

Wow, Scott.  When you put it that way about the myopia... you've got a good point.

I suppose the difference between medications and medical equipment is the fact that one is permanent and the other is temporary.

But, conversely, medical equipment can break, and medications usually can't.  Hmmmm...

Interesting point, there.

OH.  And to answer the question, no.  I don't think I've ever been discriminated against due to my diabetes, and I have ALWAYS been VERY open about it.  Even in applying to medical school I was very open about my type 1, and I got in to multiple schools.  :)

[quote user="DDrumminMan"]

[quote user="Kristen"]

[/quote]

Actually I agree with you!  It was disappointing to me at the time, but I'm so far past that now!  I saw the post about the guy in Iraq.  If that's true, he's an idiot IMHO.  What if he get seperated from his group and has no food.  I wonder how many carbs are in ants?  Then he'd run out of supplies.  Not a good situation.

I agree that diabetics can do most things.  However I think we have no business being an airline pilot, bus driver, truck driver, cop, fireman, maybe a few others.  We can control it pretty well these days, but not one of us is 100%.

[/quote]

"Actually I agree with you!  It was disappointing to me at the time, but I'm so far past that now!  I saw the post about the guy in Iraq.  If that's true, he's an idiot IMHO.  What if he get seperated from his group and has no food.  I wonder how many carbs are in ants?  Then he'd run out of supplies.  Not a good situation.

I agree that diabetics can do most things.  However I think we have no business being an airline pilot, bus driver, truck driver, cop, fireman, maybe a few others.  We can control it pretty well these days, but not one of us is 100%. "

Just so that we're clear here. What would happen if this guy got seperated from his group? Why would you assume that this guy is an idiot? How do you know how many and what supplies this guy carries? I think the exact same thing could be asked of any person in his situation. If he got separated from his group I think he would a) find them again as quickly as he could or b) probably get shot before he had to eat ants.  I have kept myself alive for over a week in harsh terrain with nothing but the supplies I carried with me and my ability to hunt, fish, and gather.  If you believe that you have no business doing something because of your fear..... I pity you.  Please dont assume that you know my capabilities just because you have some general knowledge of a condition I have. You ARE right in one thing. Not one of us is 100%, diabetic or not, no one is 100%.  BTW, what do you think will become of us if a war actually comes to America? Will you accept being "dissabled" and not fight the enemy when they kick in your back door? Will you forgive our military for refusing to train you in the basic fighting skills that may have saved your family from being butchered? Think about it.

[quote user="Scott"]

Just so that we're clear here. What would happen if this guy got seperated from his group? Why would you assume that this guy is an idiot? How do you know how many and what supplies this guy carries? I think the exact same thing could be asked of any person in his situation. If he got separated from his group I think he would a) find them again as quickly as he could or b) probably get shot before he had to eat ants.  I have kept myself alive for over a week in harsh terrain with nothing but the supplies I carried with me and my ability to hunt, fish, and gather.  If you believe that you have no business doing something because of your fear..... I pity you.  Please dont assume that you know my capabilities just because you have some general knowledge of a condition I have. You ARE right in one thing. Not one of us is 100%, diabetic or not, no one is 100%.  BTW, what do you think will become of us if a war actually comes to America? Will you accept being "dissabled" and not fight the enemy when they kick in your back door? Will you forgive our military for refusing to train you in the basic fighting skills that may have saved your family from being butchered? Think about it.

[/quote]

Scott, I seem to have hit a hot button here!  First off I agree with you it IS discrimination. Also, thanks for being a volunteer fire fighter.  My wife was one in New York state.  Those people do great work.

Here's what as a Marine, I think could happen if he were separated from his group.  Of course he'd try to find his unit.  But that's not always easy and doesn't happen fast.  Have you read Jarhead?  It's a true story written by a Marine in the Iraq I war and he got separated from his unit and lost for several days.  Once you eat all of the C rations you got, then what?  Find your own food.  So how much supplies would he have to carry?  In Iraq (and Viet Nam) I see a particular problem with the heat.  Insulin doesn't work anymore after being exposed to high temps.  So what, now carry a cooler too?  Being in a hot environment wearing alot of clothes carrying in excess of 50 lbs of gear would be very hard one's blood sugar. If you were in Afganistan in the winter on patrol, how would you keep the insulin warm so it didn't freeze?  And heaven forbid if you got captured by the enemy.  Think you could communicate them to allow you to test/dose/snack at the appropriate times?  Can you spell DKA?

A couple of other things.  I have intimate knowledge of a condition you have as I've been a type I diabetic  32 years.  I've driven dump trucks professionally.  Sometimes fear is the better part of valor.  I do 99 44/100% of what I want.  But as Clint Eastwood said in some movie I saw once, "a man has to know his limitations."  We've all got 'em.

As far as this: "BTW, what do you think will become of us if a war actually comes to America? Will you accept being "dissabled" and not fight the enemy when they kick in your back door? Will you forgive our military for refusing to train you in the basic fighting skills that may have saved your family from being butchered? Think about it."  Come on, now you're just getting silly.  Dont' worry though, I've got at least a 6 month supply of diabetic supplies and food in my bunker.

By all means do what you want.  Sounds like we are both living full active lives doing what we want.  Keep up the good work!

One more question, what are you doing in that picture in your avatar?  Kind of small and I can't make it out.

I think the whole basis of this discrimination is that diabetics can't take care of themselves. BUt w/e i dont really care i did wanna be a pilot but idk now...

yess!!!!!!!!!! i cant go to the six flags trip at school this weekend because they said a parent had to go with me and.. no one can go with me!!!! i hate when people say that you can't do things because you're a diabetic. go judge sotomayor!!!!!!!!

Yes, it is one of the discussions I tend to get passionate about. I actually think we may be on the same side here, but I believe that I may be more of a realist/fatalist than you. The way I understand War (as much as anyone can) it IS a survival skill. Sure, insulin is not easily carried during combat. Neither is water, food, first aid, ammo, weapons, communications....  But there is a way to do it. And why not develop a system to keep insulin cool? The military spent millions designing a system that keeps food edible (barely) for decades, why not do a little research into this? Being in a tough environment Is tough on your blood sugar, just as it is hard on anyones system. That is kind of the point of combat. If we could kill each other just to prove a point from our beds, we would. And you actually believe all the people that died as POWs just couldnt communicate their basic needs to their captives!?  Now who's being silly. Death is a part of War, War is a part of Freedom, and it kind of irks me that apparently Im not worthy to help earn mine.

"A good man always knows his limitations” actually. And I agree. I just dont think its is for anyone else to tell me what they are. Let me find them myself. 

If the thought of a war comming to your home is so silly then why do you have a bunker?  O_o  And can I have the GPS coordinates in case I need them?

Believe it or not Im actually having fun with this debate, no hard feelings, I just have never accepted the "because I say so" excusse. Not even from the government.

That pic is of me in New Mexico after a week of Elk Hunting. I finally got a 900lb 6x6. Archery hunting.  I will probably put some more pics on my profile if thats an option.

BTW Isaac, you CAN be a Pilot. Currently you cant hold a commercial rating, but the Faa just allowed diabetics to work ATC (air traffic control), so if they turned that over it is just a matter of time. Get the ratings you can and be ready to pounce once they give you a chance.