Diabetes scholarships?

Hey everyone,

I was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes a year and half ago, right before starting college. Paying for diabetes along with college isn’t easy, so I’ve been searching for scholarships to apply for related to type 1 diabetes but I keep falling short. Does anyone know where I can find some scholarship opportunities? Any help and/or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance,
Lorin Lewis

you could take a look at it’s just a link I found I can’t tell if it’s real or not.

or this one is also on the JDRF site as well.

maybe consider to give a call to your HS guidance counselor?

good luck

Hi Lorin,

There’s a great website by The Diabetes Scholars Foundation Scholarship Program. It’s available to incoming freshmen seeking a higher education at an accredited four year university, college, technical or trade school. This scholarship recognizes students who are actively involved in the diabetes community, who have high academic performance, who participate in community and/or extra-curricular activities and who have demonstrated that they are successfully managing the challenges of living with diabetes. Diabetes Scholars Foundation scholarships are not based on financial need.

Filling out the application automatically submits it to other Diabetes scholarships, including big pharma companies like Lilly and Novo Nordisk. You can check it all out on this website link: http://www.diabetesscholars.org/college.html

Here’s the hitch- this website is aimed at High School seniors, not enrolled students like you. But it may be a good way for you to check out WHO gives out scholarships, and then you could approach them independently of the Diabetes Scholars Foundation.

JDRF offers 4 Scholarships each year for the following:

The JDRF Medical/Research Scholarship ($1,000) - awarded to a student majoring in Healthcare
The JDRF Advocacy Scholarship ($1,000) - awarded to a student majoring in Political Science
The JDRF Outreach Scholarship ($1,000) -aawarded to a student majoring in Mental Health (Psychology/Social Work)
The JDRF Lance Underwood Rising Star Scholarship ($5,000) - awarded to an incoming freshmen with T1D

You may be eligible for the first three scholarships since they’re not restricted to incoming freshmen. ALSO- The deadline for scholarship for the coming year has already past (April 15, 2014). But you should definitely start the search and application for the following year.

Good luck!

~ Red

BTW- be sure to check out this article on the JDRF site:
http://jdrf.org/life-with-t1d/college/dealing-with-a-new-t1d-diagnosis-in-college/

@red,

Great tips for college/high school students thank you!

:slight_smile: none of my links worked… sorry

@lorinkendle - here’s one more link. It’s another list of scholarships available compiled by the College Diabetes Network (CDN). Some of the grants listed are for undergrads aged 18-24 (who may not be incoming freshmen, like you):
https://collegediabetesnetwork.org/content/scholarships

I think it’s great the Diabetes Scholars offers the ability to apply for so many scholarships in one place. However, the scholarships available are only for high school freshmen. The financial burden of living with T1 is a significant factor in a family’s ability to send their child to college. If anything, returning students, who are learning to navigate going to college while managing their diabetes, often for the first time on their own, need even more help. Does anyone know of scholarships available for T1 students who have made it through their first year of college and now have the courage to go back and do it all again?