Diabetes Birthday

[quote user="Maria Rose"]

[quote user="stilledlife"]My D-day is 4 days before my actual birthday. Sooo I tend to get super depressed then super happy [/quote]

Same here, except it's 11 days. August 28 and September 8. This'll be my 3rd year and 2 d-birthday. And school starts at the same time, so I get really moodswingy...

[/quote]

Hey, that's my Mom's birthday!

[quote user="Oanj9"]

Even if you dont remember when you were diagnosed dont you think we all should still celebrate it?  Just because of how much it has affected your lives. It has made many people so much more responsible and stronger. So it kinda makes me think... if you never got diabetes would you of still of matured at the same age that you did with getting it?

[/quote]

Not for me.  I barely celebrate my actual birthday.  For me diabetes is just a routine now for me and I don't really think about it all that much.  My maturity and responsibility levels were affected much more by my life outside diabetes than they were from it.

well my family calls my "diabetes birthday" d-day. since it was the day something hit us hard. emotionally. and physically. (the d for diabetes) its december 15. we dont really do anything special. but we get a little emotional...

I don't really think about it until someone asks how long it has been.  I think it was June 20th 2001.

[quote user="CHLjoe"]

For me diabetes is just a routine now for me and I don't really think about it all that much.  My maturity and responsibility levels were affected much more by my life outside diabetes than they were from it.

[/quote]

^^^^^^^^^^

YEAH, what he said!  I was already a responsible person serving our country on foreign soil.  I put myself through college post diagnosis with the GI Bill which was my plan all along.

Being the oldest I felt I was pretty responsible too before diabetes. I still celebrate every year though :)

its so funny there is a forum on Diabetes birthdays!! I just celebrated my FIRST one on August 6th.

[quote user="Maria Rose"]

Same here, except it's 11 days. August 28 and September 8. This'll be my 3rd year and 2 d-birthday. And school starts at the same time, so I get really moodswingy...

[/quote]

September 8th is my d-day :(  But I haven't ever celebrated it because I was only 4 when I was diagnosed.

I do have a question for people that celebrate.  Is is a joyous occasion or is it somber?  I mean celebrating an autoimmune disease that will be with you the rest of your life and has the potential to be life threatening and to be perfectly frank, a large pain in the ass.  This just doesn't sound like an even of jubilation.  I can understand putting a positive spin on the situation if that is the thinking of some but for me it doesn't make sense. 

On the one-year "birthday," I was seriously somber. I think my parents were annoyed, but how exactly was I expected to behave? Now, I try to push it off as if it's nothing. It still gets to me some "birthdays," the whole thought-process of before, what if, what if I didn't... But to be honest I have yet to put a "celebratory" spin on it and actually mean it on the inside :)

That's my serious effort this year, though. There's no point in dragging my feet over the negative, it's not as if pouting will make it all disappear by the next birthday. Might as well pick them up and enjoy what I have gotten out of diabetes in the mean time.

Wow, I don't even know what month I was dx'ed in, only the year. Occasionally, I'll think, "wow, I've been diabetic x years" and totally freak out, so I try to ignore it. I think if I knew the actual date, I might get depressed! But, when I turn 54, I def. want to be around to get the Joslin 50 Year medal b/c I see that more as celebrating my survival... Sorry, this got depressing. :P

my diabetes b day is on 4/5/99 i usually go out to dinner with my friend who has diabetes and her mom

My dad's 20 year is coming up in October.

I call it a betesversary (betes-diabetes versary-anniversary).

[quote user="CHLjoe"]  I mean celebrating an autoimmune disease that will be with you the rest of your life and has the potential to be life threatening and to be perfectly frank, a large pain in the ass.  This just doesn't sound like an even of jubilation.  I can understand putting a positive spin on the situation if that is the thinking of some but for me it doesn't make sense. 

[/quote]

Yeah, that is about how i feel...

my birthday is august 15th, 2006. i just like to eat a lot of sugar on that day :)

On my "birthday", i just try to acknowledge the fact that i have lived a great life for this long with diabetes. Sometimes i'll go out to dinner with my family or something. I am thirteen years old and December fourteenth will be my 9th "birthday".