Depression

Hey guys,

I've read that diabetics, especially when blood sugars have been off, can struggle with depression. How do each of you snap yourselves out of it? I thought it might be a positive and encouraging thing to think about!

Much love, Mandi

I have dealt/deal with depression and anxiety ALOT. For me, it helps me to talk to my boyfriend, and also talk on juvenation. Its quite a snow ball effect that us Diabetices go through (or at least I do):

First comes stress, then comes the high blood sugars which makes us depressed, working out increases our endorphins and lowers our blood sugars, but making time to work out when you have a lot on your plate (no pun intended because I am also an emotional eater) stresses you out. So for me its like a trifecta and all of it makes me gain weight! I've been on antidepressants before, and I think I need to be put on some more because of my abnormal stress levels. 

Antidepressants typically lower your blood sugar which means less insulin, less stress and living life more at east. Now, I don't think one should take medicine to cure any minor ailment, but us diabetics have to take a second, third, and fourth look at our situation and really decide if high blood sugars are worth it!

Sorry for the downer, but I've been struggling with this since I've been diagnosed, as I'm sure many of us have.

I get depression after long periods of highs or rapid shifts between highs and lows, which is why it's so important to be in good control for me. 

Whenever I get that way, I usually either a) talk to one of my friends, because i have a TON of diabetic friends who understand exactly what I'm going through or b) get my mind off things by writing/art, because I feel like that helps me get my emotions/lack of them out.  Also, I feel a change of scenery helps sometimes too.

[quote user="Kimbert"]I get depression after long periods of highs or rapid shifts between highs and lows, which is why it's so important to be in good control for me. [/quote]

usually i feel.... not so confident and happy after the same things.

I find for me it's hard to control my emotions and I get so stressed out when my sugar is too high which makes me depressed. I like to pick up my notebook and write about whats wrong and life in general, seems to always calm me down and feel better. Talking to friends is also a great option and love ones of course. Don't let depression take over you. God Bless you all !!!

I usually feel depressed when I am low and am trying to do homework or think about something but can't.  I feel like I can't do anything and have no purpose in life, but whenever I get those really intense feelings, I'm always low.  Once I come back up I feel fine.  But it's weird how when I was younger that didn't happen and for the past year or it started happening.

when i was in high school, i did a lot of journaling and creative writing.  i've been medicated since i was 16, and I've changed my meds a few times.  The one thing that REALLY works, even when my friends and family let me down, is God.  He is always the same, and He's always available.  Spending time with God is the one thing that consistently pulls me out of that rut.  It's been quite some time now since I've been in one, but I definitely remember what It's like.  I pray for you all, my juvenation friends!

Its very difficult for me to control my emotions. I get so depressed and stressed out with managing blood sugars. I dont have anyone to talk to about all this because no one in my family really understands. I try to listen to music or do something of my interest to put my mind off all this. But it is very difficult for me to handle all this.

wow, i feel exactly the same way. what kinds of things do you like to do besides listen to music? what kind of music do you like? can i ask you where you live? i couldn't see your profile because you are under 18. maybe we could talk sometime? not sure how though, i'm really not sure how this thing works. only been on here for a little bit, and nobody really talks to me. very frustrating. i joined just to meet people, try to help myself. hope i'm not disturbing you. thanks for listening. hang in there. bye

[quote user="Mandi"]

Hey guys,

I've read that diabetics, especially when blood sugars have been off, can struggle with depression. How do each of you snap yourselves out of it? I thought it might be a positive and encouraging thing to think about!

Much love, Mandi

[/quote]

I was suffering from depression (1993) long before I was ever diagnosed with diabetes (2005). Knowing that being too high or too low etc. can be used as a scapegoat now is fine, but still isn't the root of the issue.

For me, it's near impossible to think anything "positive" when I'm in a funk. I go about the normal daily routine and just wait for it to go away. Gymming and running help, so does being able to hit people at rugby practices, but that doesn't always do the trick.

You sound very happy and chipper...what meds are you on? :P JK

Shruti and Daniel,

That is part of what juvenation is for!  Diabetes is very overwhelming and it can be a lot to handle.  You are not alone.  There are 5000+ people on juvenation dealing with a lot of the same stuff you struggle with.  Your family and friends may not understand.  They may need your help in understanding though.  Talk to your diabetes doctor to see what your local resources are for getting connected with other people your age who are going through the same stuff.  Until then, you have us!  There are people on here from all ages, all walks of life.  Some were just diagnosed, and some have been living with this disease longer than you and I have been alive.  Take your time, you'll find somewhere on here that you fit.  I'm not on here often, but if you send me a message, I'll try to get back to you soon!  I'm praying for you both!!!  God Bless!

~jessica

[quote user="since030993"]

Shruti and Daniel,

That is part of what juvenation is for!  Diabetes is very overwhelming and it can be a lot to handle.  You are not alone.  There are 5000+ people on juvenation dealing with a lot of the same stuff you struggle with.  Your family and friends may not understand.  They may need your help in understanding though.  Talk to your diabetes doctor to see what your local resources are for getting connected with other people your age who are going through the same stuff.  Until then, you have us!  There are people on here from all ages, all walks of life.  Some were just diagnosed, and some have been living with this disease longer than you and I have been alive.  Take your time, you'll find somewhere on here that you fit.  I'm not on here often, but if you send me a message, I'll try to get back to you soon!  I'm praying for you both!!!  God Bless!

~jessica

[/quote]

Prayer is huge for me. Sometimes I've bawled and bawled, begging God to help me out of whatever funk I've been in... whether brought on by roller-coaster blood sugars or something else. Sometimes I've just had to admit that I'm being stubborn and lazy and a big ol' baby. (That's me. I'm not saying that's what's going on with other T1s.)

A balanced blend of taking an antidepressant, prayer, singing, reading Scripture (the Psalms, especially), journaling, chatting/being with friends, eating more healthily, drinking lots of water, and trying to stay active is what works for me. But I'm not always good about working that plan! *smacks self on forehead* And doing things to help other people... whether just spending time with them, listening, encouraging them... or actually doing hands-on actions... helps remind me not to focus on me and my problems so much. (I mean, what human is exempt from problems?)

Hang in there, friends!  =)