Dance

Hey, I'm Megan:)  I am going to be a freshman this year and it will be my second year on the high school dance team.  Just wondering what other dancers do with their insulin while stretching and dancing.  It is hard to wear my pump when I'm practicing, stretching, or performing...but sometimes if practice isn't intense i will go high, but my pump still gets in the way!  What do other people do??

There is something called 'untethered' that people do, and in fact, we used to do this with my daughter when she's swimming with her Medtronic pump.   You dose for two hours of your current basal rate as a bolus and then disconnect your pump for two hours.  Of course, you'll need to check your BG more often (we usually check Ellie every hour or two when she's on this regimen).   I'd talk to your doctor about some options they've used with their other patients in the past.

I dont dance but with my sports i just decided to not do the pump at all go mdi and u have nothing permanitly sticking in u the shots really arent bad anyway...

I dance and I never really had a problem, I guess it depends on what kind of dance. But I usually find a little place to put my pump, like I wear it inside out so the screen is facing me and the clip is facing out and will stick it on a comfortable place in my waistband or in the small of my back (where it is less likely to be noticed). Or for some sports I just take it off for an hour (when the dancing is enought to take care of my score). Or you can give a bolas for a little bit of you basal and then take it off. I wouldn't suggest taking if off for longer than an hour and a half though.

thanks!! 

part of my problem is probably just that my practices are about 3 hours, so that is too long to be without insulin.  i could try putting it on and giving a small bolus when we have water breaks.

i do dance & i love it.

Hey Megan. I'm a professional ballet dancer and I have opted out of a pump for exactly the reasons you mention. I don't know what you wear for practice but there is no way to wear a pump with a leotard. It's tough to gage insulin needs when rehearsals, class, practice can vary so much in intensity- I wish there were a better way, but I always take insulin for a slower-paced amount of exercise and keep tons of snacks on hand. Taking more insulin and having to grab a snack in the middle of your workout is never fun, but it's the best way to keep your sugars from going too high. I went through a period where I took the amount of insulin I would need in an intense rehearsal, and if things were slower, it served as motivation to push myself more in order to keep my sugars down and I had the added benefit of then always working to my maximum. I don't suggest this though, it's too stressful. Best of luck to you!

that helped a lot!!  thanks :)

I don't dance, but would this sports bra thingy be of help?

https://www.medtronicdiabetes.com/store/products/summary/C-ACC-124

thats really neat!  thanks:)

I've been a professional ballerina for about a year now. I keep my pump in my bra during practice. So far, no one has noticed my new hiding spot. I also have this pair of yoga pants from Aero that has a pocket in the back for my pump.