Daily insulin requirements

I'm about 5-10, just under 150 and take about 24 units a day of Novolog 70/30 mix.  I'm putting away somewhere around 250-300 carbs a day, but I'm super active.  I was dx almost three years ago and used to think that maybe I was still honeymooning, but I've had the same requirement for almost a year and a half now.  ??? 

My basal is .75units/hr.  I use on the average 40 units a day.  I'm still working on fine-tuning my pump(Omnipod). 

I'm 50years a type 1 and take in total approx 30units per day. This will change when summer hits and it will reduce to between 22-25units. I eat just over 200carbs per day. As far as I'm concerned just about everything can change my insulin requirements.

I was lurking until I saw this thread, which generated enough interest for me to finally create an account.  I didn't realize I needed so little insulin until I saw this thread and had other T1s to use for comparison.

I was diagnosed in October of 2008.  My endo said that my honeymoon period was over before I was even diagnosed.  In December of 2008 I started on the Omnipod.  

My basal rate since I started on the pod has been 12 units per day.  Combined with my average bolus, I usually use somewhere between 17-21 units per day. I am 34, 5'9", and weigh about 132.  And my carb ratio is 1:17.

Since the weather got warmer, I have started having lows in the 50-60 range nearly every day and I am now trying to figure out just how much to lower my basal rate.

Do any of you have any guesses as to why my insulin requirements are so low?  I am baffled, especially now that this site has allowed me to compare against other T1s.

I'm not sure if I'm a good example, but I was diagnosed with T1 last August and I'm only taking 8 units a day through the pen (40:1). I'm 5'11" and weigh 180, but I exercise a lot and am involved in a study at Virginia-Mason Hospital in Seattle. The study involves once a month infusions of a drug called Abatacept, which is currently used to treat Rheumatoid Arthritis.

In short, I think everyone's insulin requirements are different, and aren't determined by height or weight. Sometimes it changes on a daily basis. One of the best ways to keep your insulin levels down is through regular exercise, especially cardio. I hope that helps answer your question.

Hey Groff.

My doc says she's not sure if I'm type 1 or another type, but it doesn't worry her much since my A1Cs are always good.  I don't have GAD antibodies and my insulin requirements are a little bit weird (5 units basal per day, 1:5 ratio in the morning, 1:15 ratio for lunch and dinner - as of now anyway).

My brother also has really weird hyperglycemia and diabetes symptoms.  He's controlled right now with type 2 drugs and had an A1C of 7.5 or so before he was on any drugs.

So, in the end, my doc isn't worried what type I am as long as my blood sugars are under control.  Groff, your insulin requirements seem like they are right on the border of either type 1 or some other type... but don't worry about it too much unless you are going hypo everyday or your blood sugars are out of control.

MaDEvans

I am 22, 5'10 and weigh 180.  I take 22 units of Lantus and 1:15/20 ratio.. if i were using the calculation of .5u/lb/day I would be taking on average 90u of insulin when I am only taking 34on av?

I don't get how this works.. my endo seems to think I am insulin sensitive, not too sure but it seems like alot of people have this issue.

Thanks guys.  It seems type 1 diabetes varies incredibly from individual to individual.  It's comforting to know there are others out there with similar issues to mine.

My last A1C was 4.6, so I'm definitely a bit on the low side.   I've lowered my basal rate, which seems to be helping.  It just seems to strange to me that the more time that passes from my initial diagnosis, the less insulin I seem to require.

However, I'm not complaining.  At least it's under control for the time being.

Hi there. Your situation is interesting, but I can relate! I have been a diabetic for about 15 years and it seems like my insulin intake is incredibly low. A nurse practitioner that I see says that I am "insulin sensitive." A little goes a long way. I am 5'5 and about 133 pounds. I am very active though, I work out alot and attend meetings on a constant basis and am running crazy most days. My basal rates usually cover my meals...its really strange. My basal rate is set at .250....

So you never bolus for meals??? Explain please.. I find this basal covering meals thing interesting.

I guess that I'm pretty lucky.  I'm a male, 22, about 5'10", and weigh 180-185lbs.  I take usually from 19-21 units of Lantus in the mornings.  I usually only take 19 on days when I go to the gym because at 21, I really have to eat to balance out the drops from the gym.  I have novolog but I've only had to use it rarely.   My doctor says that he thinks I'm in the honeymoon stage and that it could last for years, as I've been like this for almost 2 years now.

So you don't bolus either?!!? Wow I must sound like such a nut but I really wonder about my insulin treatment.. What I can do to avoid bolussing.  Exercise more I guess?

No, I don't bolus on a regular basis, but I really think I'm more the exception than the norm by far.  My physician has told me that it will probably get worse.  However, with that being said, exercise does seem to really help.  I can definitely tell a difference just on a daily basis the effects of working out, especially when I do long periods of cardio.

How long do you mean when you say long? 1+hr? and how do you usually go about exercising, in a detailed way (sorry for the million questions).. can you explain from start to finish what you would do in a workout? So i can sort of determine what I should do to make it work, knowing that it would be different from your numbers of course.

Haha the questions are ok, I just don't know how much of help I'll be to you... Cardio right now is about 35min/3.5-4mi on elliptical... really pushing it at the end... then I target a specific muscle group to lift weights, ie. chest, arms, back/shoulders, legs... I usually spend at least 30 minutes on the target muscle group, then I usually move to an AB excersice every other day.  Do you need me to go into specific exercises for each muscle group?  I'm actually building up to lift longer, as I had not been in routine for a couple months.

Hahaha I didn't mean SPECIFIC explanations on the exercises you do, which are helpful don't get me wrong but mostly about your diabetic follow-up to the exercising.  I always have trouble knowing how to manage it all.. so i test every so on to make sure im on track.  Normally it goes up 3-4 after the work out but either drops a couple hours after or in the morning?

I don't think i would be able to cut out my bolus insulin while working out, or maybe I have other reasons affecting the BGs.

My CDE advised to half my bolus insulin at mealtime if I am working out after and to eat a snack before exercising if between meals.  Will this work? or do I have to make other adjustments... if i lower my basal rate at morning Lantus by 2 let's say but something comes up and I don't get to go workout, what do I do then?

I know you don't really bolus like you said but, does anyone else know?  I would still like to know what you do specifically diabetes wise while you exercise, please :)

Ok well, if I plan on working out.  I take 19units of Lantus in the mornings.  I, of course, check my blood sugar before I work out.  I can usually have a high reading, and I'll still eat something.  If I check my blood sugar and it's 150 or below, I'm not going to work out.  I've never really had an issue with it going high and I usually check my blood sugar probably 30 minutes after I'm finished, and I usually eat again.  It's not really as much of an issue if I don't do cardio, but almost any kind of cardio will eventually make my BG levels drop.  I've seen my BG's level drops 150 within and hour and a half after working out so I have to be careful.  Especially if I take 21 units, it will drop drastically if I don't eat quite a bit and work out for any length of time.  

This is also probably terrible advice, but I'm pretty sure having alcohol in your system will stop your body from producing carbs when you're working out.  I've had times where my BG's are high and I've been drinking and I work out to bring it down.  My doctor explained to me that the liver is what produces carbs when needed, but if you have alcohol in your system, your liver is too busy processing the alcohol to produce carbs.

PS... haha I definitely thought I was talking to the guy in the picture, hence the reason I was explaining workouts and such... just now realized you're female and probably could care less about heavy weight lifting...

hahaha definitely not a guy but that's hilarious.  Thanks for the advice.. Ummm I'm still trying to figure out the whole american way of reading BGs.  So you won't work out under 150.. (8.3 as per online conversion... if anyone is looking for the link here it is http://www.childrenwithdiabetes.com/converter.htm) why? because you know it'll drop below what you need it to?

Hmmmmmmmmmmm interesting.  Yeah the alcohol is tricky which makes going out dancing and drinking tough cause then you get double trouble!

OK SO... I just went for a 1hr walk and before left my sugar was 7.3 (126 for you Americans)... (I wanted to see what it would do to my blood sugars without really eating prior)

1hr exactly after my BG is 2.7 (46) I don't think  it was already dropping cause I had had an after lunch snack to keep my BGs up after lunch when my aftrlunch BG was 5.0 (not sure if im being clear)

BUT it makes me wonder what 1hr of vigourous walking actually does to my BGs and walk exercise could really do to my insulin intake! Positive (cept for the low BG after it today) darn.

Any thoughts?