Daily insulin requirements

I have Hypothyroidism. Specifically hoshimotos hypothyroisitis.

Thanks for the reply Bailey.  :)

Gosh, Kathy takes so little!  1.5 units of Lantus at night, 1.5 units of NPH in the morning, and only .5 per carb serving twice a day...so on a normal day she only takes maybe 7 units total???  She's 51 inches tall an weighs 57 pounds.

I know once she's out of the honemoon it will all change!

i am a brittle diabetic and i have low numbers on my pump. i have ben diabetic for 18 plus years, my IC ratio is 1:15. the most i get in my basal rate is 29. when i was using injections i was taking at least 50 total units per day.

[quote user="Mad Evans"]

In fact, a continuation of low insulin requirement, like less than 1.1 u/pound/day (which my requirement meets), past the usual "honeymoon" period is part of the diagnostic criteria of MODY.

[/quote]

Mad Evans - I'm curious, where did you find this kind of info? Wouldn't 1.1u/pound/day mean that a 150 lb person would be taking 165 units per day? And that's a "low insulin requirement"? Sounds off to me. I take about half that (lantus and humalog, shots) and it's probably the most I've ever taken. Also, I've never heard of these types you've listed. I'd be curious to read more. (?)

The truth of this whole thing is that metabolism and many other things play a factor in insulin needs and carb/insulin ratios. Everyone is unique, and "typical" amounts are only used by Endos as a rational starting point. Plus then, over time, things will change. Still, it's fascinating how widely diverse the responses here have been. 

Oooops.  My kg to # conversion is bad.  It's 0.5 u/kg/day...

So I guess that would be 0.23 u/pound/day.  Sorry about that.

Here are some links for you to read about the less prominent types/causes of diabetes.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/dispomim.cgi?id=606391
http://www.johnshopkinshealthalerts.com/reports/diabetes/1366-1.html
http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlerender.fcgi?artid=1616684

I'm 17, about 4'11", weigh about 120. I take one unit of humalog for every ten carbs.

Totally out of the honeymoon.

It sucks.

I take 23 units of Lantus daily, plus my sliding scale of Novorapid. My morning dose ratio is 1:6 (yay Dawn Phenomenon), while all my other meals are 1:10. But I usually pack in about 2000-3000 calories per day, so I take 25-50 units of Novorapid over the rest of the day. I'm about 135lbs, 5'10" and I have hypothyroidism. Yay!

I am 120lbs and take no lantus.  Just 1:15 for bolus with humalog.

I am 120lbs and take no lantus.  Just 1:15 for bolus with humalog.

[quote user="julia"]

I've been a diabetic for 12 years and I am about 5'6'' tall and weigh around 150. I take Lantus(shots) only 25 units per day. I use a sliding scale of humalog but I usually just need a few units of that a day.

[/quote]

Same here. T1 for 15years.

I take a total of 30units of Lantus a day(20 in the AM, 10 in the PM) and for Novorapid I take 1:15(breaky & lunch) and 2:15(dinner). I usually take in about 44-50units a day(only cuz I usually combine breaky and lunch into one meal). I'm 5'6" and 145pounds.

It also depends on your hormones, not just your weight. I used to take waaaay more insulin, even though I've been in the 140-150 weight range for a good 4years now, just because I was still going through my teenage girl hormonee stage.

I'm bumping an old thread here but I just thought I'd give an update of my insulin requirements (sorry to sound self-important, haha).

It seems like I was in some type of long-lasting honeymoon phase because my insulin needs have increased significantly.  I never got sick again or anything, but I'm pretty sure that my beta cells are just slowly decreasing in number.

I now require about 40 units of bolus insulin per day and about 6 units of basal insulin.  I'm about 1:7 for breakfast, 1:15 for lunch, then 1:10 for dinner.   I used to only have to take about 4-6 units for my typical breakfast, but now I'm taking about 10-15 units regularly.

It's crazy how our insulin needs can change even 3 YEARS after diagnosis.  This just reinforces the idea that we have to continually be making sure we are aware of how much insulin we need for certain amounts of carbs.  Because, for a while there, I was dosing myself like I regularly was previously and my glucose levels were WAY too high.

Luckily I was able to recognize it pretty quickly, change my basal rates, and alter how much I need to bolus too.  That was a pretty nice honeymoon though, I guess.  :)

Good reminder. Thanks for posting this. 

Yes - your regimen will adjust over time, and partly due to the fact that over time your body changes, because of your diabetes and simply because of age. 

It's good that you were able to notice the trend and recalculate things to make the right adjustments.

My son is 15 and 5'9", 110# (yes, skinny too).  He uses about an average of 50 total per day in his pump.  The endos usually figure insulin based on weight usually using 0.6-0.8 per kg (to get kg, divide weight in pounds by 2.2).  For teens, it can go up to 1-1.2 units per kg I think.  This is what my endo  has told me as he figures what they need.  But that is just a starting point, meaning it gives you an idea if you can handle more if you are having highs, or need less if lows.  You base your needs based  on the patterns you are having when you check.  (like if you are high at a certain time of day, either the basal or bolus needs increasing depending on when high).  Hope that helps some.  And you may be still producing some insulin so don't require as much.  Also exercise will affect it so that you don't use as much if you are very active.

At bedtime 20 units of lantus was 24 then 22 But I kept droppin so they lowered it.

Every person is different in the insulin treatments. You should ask to your endocrinologist about that to be sure. But maybe the changes you have with your insulin and sugar levels can be because the hormones. You are a teen and hormones changes everything.

Agreed.  I'm 20 now and up to the past year or two my endo would have to increase my dosages almost every time I went to see him.  We're still constantly adjusting everything around, but I've been pretty stable at 28 units of Lantus and my sliding scale with humalog of 1:8 carb ratio and 1:30 correction factor.  I guess on an average day I'll take somewhere around 70 units total depending on how much I eat and what my numbers are.  Oh, I'm about 5'10, 135lbs so I'm on the skinnier side as well.

Evan, you may be a MODY, or Maturity Onset diabetes of the young.  I would bring this up with your endocrinolgist if you are concerned with this.  All this simply means, is that you require less insulin and may be able to take oral medication instead. 

If you take less than .5 units per kilogram of body weight, you could be a Mody

Sounds like me, for 5 years after I was diagnosed I weighed 145lbs used to take 15-20 units a day. For the past 5 years now I have weighed 145 and take anywhere from 35 to 55 units a day (hormones, activity level, and stress alter my insulin needs/resistance a lot.)

Nope our just special. but you could be like me and your insulin requirements may raise around the 5 year mark. =) but really, who knows?

With solely my basal rate, I'm doing about 21 units / day. As far as insulin for food goes...it depends what/where/how much I'm eating or feel like eating that day. While I was in college, I was eating about 300-400g of carbs a day and my ratio is 1:10. So that's a total of between 51 - 61 units a day counting the basal rate.

And I'm 6'2" 225lbs