Control IQ issues

Hi, new here, hope I am on the right forum. Basically my daughter swapped to control IQ on her tandem pump and it was a revelation…it was like all of my dreams came true!! Then after a few weeks her pump battery died as she hadn’t charged it (again) so her levels went high as I had turned off my alarms and did not notice.

Basically, her levels have been all over the place ever since. I have called the UK support line but they do not know much about it so could not help (they are very helpful people, this is not a criticism on them).

Does anyone know what I should be checking on the pump? Control IQ is switched on but clearly something has happened, I just cant work out what.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

Laurence

My pump battery has never died but I would hope it would retain the background settings - basal rate/s, carb ratio, etc. If she did a download to Tandem TCONNECT she can find the most recent ones there - or you could simply contact the doctor who helped her establish the settings - they should have a record.
So study to hear this happened! Like my cell phone I plug mine in when I’m sitting for a while to bump up the charge - thankfully it doesn’t take very long.

Hi @Loz welcome to TypeOneNation. You can also try to contact Tandem. The user manual explains the Control IQ starting with the home page and has indicators to tell you if it’s on. I’m looking at the manual downloaded off the internet and the explanation starts at page 252. Section 28.4. Given that the manual looks similar in complexity as probably a rocket launch system, I hope you have access to a “pump trainer”. In the States the manufacturer puts you in touch with a trainer for these issues. Cheers good luck :four_leaf_clover:

I have given her a portable charger so that she can plug it in without having to take it off…just found that under her bed!!! In the UK, the support from the hospital is good but you really need to manage the basals yourself and monitor them. We are given ‘guidance’ but it is something you need to stay on top of. I have increased her basals by 10% and have identified a few areas where an increase will be helpful so will be doing that tonight. Thanks for all of the help guys.

Managing our own basals is something we pretty much get used to so you may be getting a head start - although I do get advice from my doctor sometimes. One suggestion: I’ve found that small changes can make a big difference - even just 1/10th of a unit may be all I need to get my numbers where I want them. Hers may be different. Just tweak gradually. Glad you found a charger!

Thanks…I am making small changes as we go to try to counteract these levels. Its a minefield!!!

@Loz Hi Laurance, and welcome to the JDRF TypeOneNation Forum! You have found a very good Forum, and quite welcome to ask anything “diabetes”. and to offer your insight too.

I’ve been using Control IQ since January, and really like most of how it helps me. In addition to what @Joe and Dorie have offered, I will suggest something I’ve observed during my many decades living with diabetes.

You didn’t mention “how long” your daughter’s pump may have been turned off, or what she was doing, eating, during that time. If she was without needed insulin for an extended period, it may take her body a while to recover - like when she was diagnosed with diabetes. At least, that has been the way with me when I’ve let my glucose run wild.

You can look at tell a couple of things quite easily about the Tandem pump by looking at “Pump History”. You can see exactly how much insulin, both basal and bolus, has been delivered today, yesterday, etc. You can also read the Average per day delivered during the past seven days, the past 14 days and the past 30 days; compare these average readings with today’s delivery summary. This will let you know if the pump is currently working properly.

Another thought, and I don’t know your daughter’s age, to get your daughter to regularly charge her pump. suggest/Require that she periodically, you set the day, upload to t-Connect and send you a Summary report. This will require that her pump is plugged into a computer, and charging. unless she uploads wirelessly to t-connect as I am doing.

@Loz,

One idea I us is to plug my pump in to charge while I am showering every day. So, I get the pump charged daily while bathing.

Additionally, I have a copy of my pump settings printed out and kept in a file of medical stuff in my residence.

Mobile:t:connect may be available in the UK. If it is, it would reduce the chance of lost pump settings.

Keep us informed. Sharing is how all of us learn.

@Dennis,

Hi Dennis,

Thanks for your message, I am very impressed with how helpful people are already. I will clarify your questions…I didnt really put enough down!!! I do not know how long the pump was off for as we were all asleep. Judging by her levels, I would say at least an hour and maybe up to 2 hours. Erin is 13 and has been diabetic since 5. She is normally ok with charging her pump but does need to be pushed. I have given her a portable charger to get her out of trouble when she is at school (hopefully never needs it) and have told her to plug it in when she is sitting around the house on her phone (again!!!) as it will not be inconvenient at all. I guess she is just a regular 13 year old girl and I should probably be doing more. Having said that…her phone never dies!!!

Thanks for the advice, I will go through her pump history when she gets home. Have a great day.

@987jaj

Thanks for the advice. I will try and get her to do that as she showers every night before bed. The pump did not lose the settings, everything is still as it was but her levels are just everywhere now which is what I do not get. Having said that, last night they were perfect throughout the night. I am so frustrated, I just do not know what to do for the best.

@wadawabbit

Thanks for your reply. I have made a 10% increase to her basal last night for 9am to 12pm as she seems to sit around 10mmol (180mg) and it seems to have made a slight difference. I will run this for the rest of the week and then increase next week if needed. Fingers Crossed!!!

Great news - keep up the good work! My confession - I started pumping 20+ years ago, and knew I could assist my own rates but I guess I hadn’t been told how to go about it. I had been running low and knew I could decrease it so I did - by a full unit! Needless to say I went sky high, and my changes have been much less “drastic” every since. The important thing is to find what works for you - or in this case your daughter - and it sounds like you have or are coming close.

Definitely getting there, her HbA1c is 6.3mmol (113.4mg) which is the result of years of small tweaks which I think is quite good, especially for a young girl.

Laurence @Loz, it sounds as if you are guiding your daughter well, and what you have helped her with these last several years will help her self-manage well for the rest of her life. at age 13, in my opinion, she should mow be taking the lead - with you there to encourage and offer assistance - in her life-long adventure of living with diabetes. Yes, it is an adventure, often a roller-coaster ride, that can be managed and should not be an obstacle; she can direct her life with diabetes and not let diabetes rule her.

A note on HbA1c, from my time in the 1970’s when I was part of the project developing this wonderful measurement. HbA1c, is read in percentages such as 6.3%, not in mmol?l. An HbA1c = 6.3 indicates an average body glucose level over the past +/-90 days, 24 hours every day, is equal to 7.18 mmol/L or 129 mg/dl.