Control IQ frustration

Entering the code works for me. I have never had to do a calibration. You might want to call Tandem technical support for help.

Control IQ includes the Basal IQ feature plus more. Basal IQ only prevented lows, not highs. Control IQ does both. On Basal IQ my HbA1C went up, because the lows were being prevented without preventing the highs. At first on Control IQ I did have to change some of the basal rates in my personal profile, but eventually my HbA1C was back to normal, preventing both lows and highs. Although, when something stressful happens, I can still get a very high BG, and since the software assumes our insulin duration is 5 hours, instead of the 2 hours that is my actual insulin duration, I have to manually correct highs when that happens. I also want the tighter range, so I am one of those using the Sleep Activity 24 hours a day, with a couple of exceptions: if I am going shopping, doing a lengthy walk or something like that, I use the Exercise Activity setting to keep my sugars higher, to give more sugar for the activity. Even then, since we cannot manually set the basal rate to zero a half hour before going on the walk or shopping, I still occasionally have to consume a few lifesavers while shopping.

Hi @Dennis. I am happy to tell you I switched to CIQ yesterday afternoon and am looking forward to tightening up. I forgot to set and turn on my sleep mode, but was pretty steady overnight regardless. I got a low alert around 4am, with a suggestion to have a snack, which I did. That in turn sent me a little high but the system is doing what it’s supposed to do and I have leveled off. I’m just wondering, on this occasions when you do need to have a snack, do you find that a smaller one does the trick now?
BTW, I did some basal testing and ran it by my doctor before going on CIQ. She said to leave things as the were and give her an upload in a few days to see if we need to tighten anything up.

Ah Dorie @wadawabbit, you took the step! Some of your thoughts, questions":

As for your 4 AM snack, if you think like me, or the way I used to think during the night, you may have eaten too much. Now, unless I suspect either because of lots of exercise or because things were off during the evening, I limit any correction carb to one [4 gm.] or two glucose tabs.

Basal rate adjustments: Your doctor probably was thinking that your current rates are correct as set/prescribed. I make basal rate adjustments, especially the midnight to 9 AM, only after reviewing my charts on t-Connect, or on Tidepool. I look at the day-by-day layout where I can actually see where and when my pump program actually delivered something other than what I had established in my Profile - whichever Profile I had running that day. I look at the CGM line-graph displayed with the insulin delivery to see effect.

during my six months living under CIQ, I usually look at my pump “RED Zones” - the areas where my insulin was automatically suspended while I slept - to see if they have been consistent for a few days. I don’t make changes unless I sopot a pattern of being out of line.

I do not think Control IQ is the culprit here. Control IQ includes the Basal IQ settings and just adds corrections for sugars over 160. That should not send you too low. The only thing I noticed when I switched was fewer high sugars. You also may need to choose one of the “Acitivity” modes for it to work better at night. Or, if you are already using the “Sleep” activity at night, try not using it.

Agreed. I spoke w Dexcom tech support today about a receiver issue, mentioned that I felt so guilty each time I inserted due to al the nonrecylable trash I was generating, esp that single use hard plastic inserter. The tech told me ‘they were working on that’ and might have a solution later this year. I sure hope so!