Checklist for newly diagnosed

I have the survival info from the doc but wondering if there is a good checklist to identify the questions i should ask, supplies i will need to help care for my 7 year old son. He was diagnosed Monday and we are day 1 back from hospital. I feel like we are totally unprepared on how to best support him

• food to have in the house
  • best way to pack lunch/snack
  • best way to communicate with the school about his levels and needs
  • what to look for in a doctor

etc etc

thank you!!!

hello alexlmargulies,

wow you must be tired. my opinion is the first and second people you need is a CDE (Certified diabetes educator), and a pediatric endocrinologist. They will be a huge help this first year.

please look into a IHCP (individual health care plan) and an IEHCP (same but for Emergencies such as hypoglycemia). get a hold of the school nurse and discuss. there’s a bit of paper to fill out, but it’ll be necessary for insulin./testing/supplies, etc. you might want the nurse to have a glucagon kit.

breathe. I am serious, make sure you breathe.

the only emergency food to have on hand all the time, all have sugar such as juice boxes, cake icing in a tube, candy such as skittles, etc.

I hope you are getting the support you need. there is a lot of experience here on this site, and you could always look up your local JDRF chapter, and click the “Resources” tab at the top of the page for a Bag of Hope.

if it makes you feel any better you will get the hang of it, and your son will be okay, I was diagnosed at 12 almost 37 years ago next month.

Joe

Hi, I was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes about a year and a half ago. I had gestational diabetes with my last two children and it went away after I had my son but after I had my daughter it didn’t!!! I have been hospitalized twice in the past 4 months due to ketone acidosis and I don’t know about the first time but this last time which was last my brain swelled up!!! I try to do what I am suppose to, count carbs, take insult shots, check my blood sugar levels about 15-20 times a day and I still either have high or low blood sugar!!! I am so depressed and sometimes I wish that I didn’t make it the last two times I was admitted into the hospital!!! I have so much stress going on, don’t know how to manage my stress, let alone my diabetes!!! I just need help and people to talk to!!!

Hi alexlmargulies,

So for the school talk to the nurse and teacher give all the info bring booklets. Give the teacher a box of fruit snacks just in case his blood sugar goes low.
For food in the house I have fruit snacks in case of low blood sugar works great for me, but granola bars work too. Digestive cookies, peanut butter, popcorn is a great snack, veggies are free snack except for carrots and peas. Counting carbs makes it easy so he doesn’t have a blood sugar. For lunches just make sure he has protein, carbs, fruit and veggies. Read labels then you know how much carbs he is eating.
For the dr I would dr shop until you find the dr you like the most. I found a dr that is really understanding. It took me a long time to find him but he is a great dr. You should see if you can’t get in to a diabetic nurse and dietitian. They will be able to answer all your questions and help with adjusting insulin and carb ratio. And then at some point they may put him on the pump.
The other thing is make sure you always have 2 boxes of everything just so you know you won’t run out. It is a little over whelming at first but overtime this will be just part of you and your son.
The big thing is that at some point he will rebel and hate that he has diabetes. Don’t nag him this makes thing worst. I know because I was diagnosed at the age of 11. I wanted to be like all the other kids not testing eat whatever I want. I think just being there for him for support no judgement will make this whole thing easier on him.
I think there is camps to so looking into that might be a good idea. Then he is around kids that have diabetes are feeling the same way.
I hope I helped you out.
Meghan