Carb/Insulin Ratio

Just curious about people's regimen regarding insulin to carb ratio. I've seen a few posts where people indicate their carb-to-insulin ratio are a single thing, and seemingly consistent throughout the day. That would never work for me! I use different rates for breakfast, lunch and dinner. 

My current regimen of counting carbs and shooting humalog:

Breakfast 1 unit per 3 carbs

Lunch 1 unit per 7 carbs

Dinner 1 unit per 5 carbs

Seems like it takes the most insulin for me in the a.m.

I'm just wondering what other people experience. And, do pump users have bolus rates vary throughout the day?

Hello BrianC, I am on the pump and my basal and bolus rates differ throughout the day....

12:00 a.m. - 10:30 a.m. 1:6 g CHO

10:30 a.m. - 12:00 a.m. 1:8 g CHO

AM 1:4

Lunch 1:7

PM 1:9

My endo wants me to recheck everything, so I am easing back on the carb ratios and fixing my basal rates (if it ends up needing to be fixed)  Hey Brian, if you don't mind, since you have similar carb ratios - what is your total insulin and % of basal?

I was around 50 units per day and 70% Bolus 30% basal, and that's why the endo recommended me doing the tune up.  She thinks I am just front loading with meal boluses and not getting the correct basal.

[quote user="Joe"]Hey Brian, if you don't mind, since you have similar carb ratios - what is your total insulin and % of basal?[/quote]

Well, I'm not on a pump, but counting Lantus (basal) and Humalog (bolus) I'm at about 80 total units daily. 48 Lantus (34 morning and 13 night) and approx 32 units Humalog (obviously varying, but 32 is probably the typical lowest amt), which would put me at 60% basal and 40% bolus, the near opposite of you. (Unless I've done some bad math there.)

Wow! Your ratios are so low!! Mine vary from 1:10 to 1:15. On rare occasions I will do a 1:8 if I know I will be very sedentary the next few hours. My tdd is about 35, sometimes 30, sometimes 40. I am on about 15 units of basal and 15-25 units in boluses daily. 

thanks Brian,  no your math is perfect.  60 units of lantus...  do you go low between meals at all?  have you/do you ever skip meals? 

hi Amanda... I don't know if you were commenting to me or Brian... but if it was me I know - I have a wicked case of dawn phenomena/ and I have high morning insulin resistence...  and so I make it up with my (kinda big) breakfast bolus.    anyway thanks for your input =) it's helpful!

[quote user="Joe"]

thanks Brian,  no your math is perfect.  60 units of lantus...  do you go low between meals at all?  have you/do you ever skip meals? 

[/quote]

Yes, I'll occasionally have lows, mid-morning and later afternoon, mostly. There are times when I've virtually skipped lunch -- I tend to work through eating lunch most days, and even then it's sometimes a rather light lunch, like 30-40 carbs, sometimes even less. That's probably not healthy.

wow, most of you do have really low ratios.  for me:

12am-10am - 1:6

10am-11:30 - 1:12

11:30 - 2 - 1:11

2-12am - 1:12

Breakfast- 1:9

Rest of day- 1:10