Can you stop baby from getting big?

Hello I am 26 weeks pregnant and am a type 1 diabetic. My baby is already about a pound above the “norm”. Anything I can do to keep him at a healthy weight?

You can keep your blood sugars as close as possible in the 60-90 range. My son was 10 pounds 13 oz at 39 weeks and my a1c was in the mid to low 6 a1c level almost the entire time. Have you asked your doctor what you can do? I’m sure he will say keep your blood sugars in control but maybe they have better advice?

Thanks Gina, my A1C has been 6.0 - 6.5 the last 4 months so I’m not sure if that’s it. I mean I do get high sugars every once in a while but I monitor it pretty well with my pump and dexcom So I make a correction right away.
I forgot to ask my Dr but most def will next time I go in.

Is your Dr concerned about the baby being too big? It may not be due to diabetes, and the growth scans can be wrong. My baby was measuring big, and I was worried too, so I understand. But if your A1Cs have been good, you may have had a big baby even without diabetes!

An A1c in your range is okay for a diabetic, but it can still make your baby bigger because it’s higher than normal so your baby is getting lots of glucose. Your average blood sugar at your current range is 136-154. A non-diabetic’s blood sugar is 60-80.

You can try to drop your target blood sugar down, as long as you can do so without lows below 60.

You also need to evaluate your own situation. Moms who are overweight are more likely to have babies who are overweight. Maybe your child genetically is a big person and it’s not related to your diabetes. Hard to know.

Keep your blood sugars as tight as possible and be healthy. That’s all you can do.

I am not over weight, before pregnancy I was 5’3 and weighed 128. My husband however is 5’11 and weighs 200 pounds. All his family is between 5’ 10 - 6’2. So maybe that could be it. Just trying to catch it before it gets worse if it is in fact me that’s making the baby big.