Can the new CGM model be used with older pumps?

Has anyone been able to use the “EnLite” CGM/sensor model with a Medtronic pump other than the 530G?

I hate the Sof-Sensors and would love to try something that’s supposedly improved. In a year or two since I started CGM, I am still pretty much incompetent at inserting the sensor…even when I finally get one inserted that’s functional, there is often blood and it’s always a challenge finding an insertion site that’s not still bruised. The numbers actually aren’t terribly off the mark compared to finger sticks with the Sof-Sensors, but there’s the inevitable lag and it’s not uncommon for the CGM results to be randomly inaccurate at times.

On the other hand, I don’t feel the same urgency to get the newest pump. The “artificial pancreas” is a nice concept and I know this is a big step given how the FDA usually operates. But if all it really means at this point is that basal insulin delivery would automatically be suspended when CGM (even a supposedly more precise CGM) finally detects a low, then my reaction is really “thanks but no thanks.” More importantly, I’m still “in warranty” on my existing pump for another few years, so my insurance apparently will not pay for a new pump. It looks like the out-of-pocket upgrade program Medtronic offers is my only option right now if I want to upgrade the whole system. But it seems like the new CGM/sensors are not compatible with earlier pump models? I am currently using the Paradigm 523.

I waited nearly an hour on the phone with Medtronic to find all of this out in the first place, only to be told that I can only sign up online. It was sometime later that the thought of just upgrading the CGM occurred to me, and I thought it might be easier just to see if anyone here has been able to do that before I call Medtronic again… It sounds like the EnLite is incompatible with older pumps, or am I wrong?

it looks like the EnLite sensor uses the real-time transmitter, however I just cant tell because the minimed website has gone from bad-to-completely-useless.

If the Enlite sensor does use the minilink real-time, then I guess the sensor would work with any “Real-Time” pump receiver (Guardian, Paradigm, or Revel) the only thing that certainly wouldn’t work is the basal suspend, which is part of the 530 pump, not the sensor. Maybe if you call the order center at minimed they would help you faster.

good luck and cheers.

Hi @John81,

I asked my contact at Medtronic Minimed corporate office, and this is what she said: “Enlite is only approved for use with MiniMed 530G, not older systems.”

Hope this helps!

G

I asked my contact at Medtronic Minimed corporate office, and this is what she said: “Enlite is only approved for use with MiniMed 530G, not older systems.”

This is the only statement that they can make as they are testing with the 530G for FDA approval.

However i have the 530G and and using my Softsensors with the 530G and it works well – I have some I have to finish off. If you could get a box of Enlite you could try.

@ScottT,

I am currently using the Minimed Med pump but not the 530G, I am on the Dex G4. I really like the Dex but, I miss the all-in-one capability! I just started using my Bayer Contour that syncs with the MM, I used to use the Freestyle lite and I am no longer covered for those strips.

Glad your softsensors are working well for you, have you tried Enlite sensors yet? Do tell!!!

I have not tried the Enlite sensors yet. but I am using my 530 G with my soft sensors and they seem to be reading very well. Unfortunately I am a supply hog and I have about a four month supply of sensors left from the old sensors. So I am ordering the Enlite sensors now and when I change I’ll have an opportunity to make mistakes and not have to worry about the ramifications of not have enough sensors in my supply. I have donated my extra sensors to someone who needs them and while they are expired she is going to take them and use them as I’ve used them myself. Currently I’m using the sauce sensor with my 530 G and it works well. Medtronic cannot tell you that they do work together because of FDA approval. I have about a two month supply of sensors time keeping before I begin using Enlite.

@ScottT,

I am a supply hog too! That is good that you are giving the ones you don’t use to someone else. I do the same with my stuff too. Friends. Helping. Friends!

I was thinking about switching to Omnipod a couple of months back actually. But, then I was like wow, I will have a lot of insulin pump supplies left! haha

I don’t like wasting products. I mean somebody can always use it. I was thinking about the Omni pod before I upgraded to 530 G, But then I found the Omni pod a little bit too big on my body. So I apply you supplies and I want to make sure that someone could take all my sensors. I went to GLU.org. Someone was very happy to receive 100 sensors that were out of date but they could play with them and do what they want with them. I’m glad they’re going somewhere. I just received the shipment of sensors for the soft sensor they don’t expire until 2015 so I’m going to continue using those and then I will start the Enlite.

@ScottT,

Sounds like a great idea! I would do the same!

I am using the new Enlite sensors with the 523 pump and it works fine. I checked with my Medtronic area sales rep and he said that the Enlite transmitter uses the same transmission circuit as the older sensors like those certified to be used w the 523 pump. The issue is not whether it works or not but rather if the Enlite sensors has been resubmitted to the FDA for certification. It has not. So it requires that the RX your doctor turns in for acquiring the Enlite sensors authorized Medtronics to use with a 523 pump. The downside which to me is not that significant is that the new features of the 530G pump such as the auto suspend on lows, would not be available. However the alarms for lows for similar criteria do work on the 523 pump.

Most of that is 2nd hand information. What I have personally experienced is that the supplier did require authorization from my doctor before shipping and that the Enlite sensors do work fine with my 523 pump.

I was told by my Medtronic area sales rep that I could upgrade my 523 pump to the new 530 pump for $700 however the warranty would only cover the period remaining on my old pump and not cover the full 5 years for purchasing a new pump. So I elected to stay w my 523 til the end of warranty.

I hope this is helpful!

John

Thanks, John1714 - and all. That’s good to know, and I have an appointment with my endo later this month, so I will ask him if he can do that. If memory serves, my CGM malfunctioned months after I got it and they told me the warranty was only six months? I was still in-warranty so they replaced, but I remember being stunned because

Yeah, the “new features” with the 530G don’t sound all that useful to me. I can’t believe Medtronic or any other medical provider would actually recommend suspension of basal insulin as a treatment for hypoglycemia…as opposed to glucose tabs/glucagon! Does the 523 recognize that the EnLites have a longer lifespan, or does it still think the sensor has died after three days? I know you can recalibrate the existing sensor as “new” and keep it in beyond the specified three days, but if the calibration requirements were less onerous/arbitrary with the 530, that might be worth considering…

Has anyone actually gone through the “discount” out-of-pocket upgrade to the EnLite and 530G combo and actually reached the end of the process? I know Medtronic estimates it will take about 90 days because of the wait list. What does it actually translate to in terms of dollars and cents? When I spoke to the Medtronic rep, they made it sound like all but the $399 that they claim this costs net would be reimbursed, but the fine print on the website only says they issue a “credit” when you return the older pump. Is that like a store credit? If so, I don’t know what that would even do for me, because I have no co-pay with any of my pump/CGM supplies (and haven’t with any insurance I’ve ever had). And when do they process payment, given the 90-day wait? Do they wait until they actually process the order, or do they charge the full ~ $800 and you don’t get a refund or whatever else until they actually ship the new equipment and you can return the old?

Thanks again.

Thanks, John1714 - and all. That’s good to know, and I have an appointment with my endo later this month, so I will ask him if he can do that. If memory serves, my CGM malfunctioned months after I got it and they told me the warranty was only six months? I was still in-warranty so they replaced, but I remember being stunned because it was such a shorter warranty than the pumps. Little did I know that in the “through the looking glass” world of insurance companies, going out of warranty is actually a good thing!

Yeah, the “new features” with the 530G don’t sound all that useful to me. I can’t believe Medtronic or any other medical provider would actually recommend suspension of basal insulin as a treatment for hypoglycemia…as opposed to glucose tabs/glucagon! Does the 523 recognize that the EnLites have a longer lifespan, or does it still think the sensor has died after three days? I know you can recalibrate the existing sensor as “new” and keep it in beyond the specified three days, but if the calibration requirements were less onerous/arbitrary with the 530, that might be worth considering…

Thank you, everyone.

Hi All ~
So I have a 523 Paradigm, and just upgraded my sensor to the Enlite. Today was my 3rd day using the new sensor, when…surprise! My pump told me my sensor had ended - even though the Enlite sensor is supposed to last for 6 days (the whole reason I wanted the upgrade!). This posting helped me trouble-shoot - since the Medtronic site does not address the question. I just selected "Link to New Sensor"and after a few minutes, my pump/sensor are back up & running like normal. : )
For the post asking about the reason to suspend the Basal if you are getting low-sugar readings, it works well enough if your sugars aren’t severely low. I will do manually at night for an hour, if I know I’m not going to crash rapidly. It is an alternative to getting up and eating something.
Thanks everyone!